Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1984 Society

• 24-03-2021 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

What are the most overt displays of a surveillance society that you encounter in your day to day life. Thinking of things that a decade ago would have appeared outlandish but are now common place and ordinary. More and more, technology is encroaching upon our lives and surely it is not a case of more and more being better. People will say they have nothing to hide or that increased surveillance will only aid those who abide by the law and clamp out those who violate it but I wouldn't be so sure. I think it will eventually reach a point where even if the intentions are not benign it will become very oppressive and worsen the experience of being human.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Thread has been moved from After Hours.

Who do you think is monitoring or caring what compledit is doing on a Wednesday afternoon in March?

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Who do you think is monitoring or caring what compledit is doing on a Wednesday afternoon in March?

Me

Mu hahaha......ive my eyes on yous completedit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I'm not one for a conspiracy theory, but I'd have some concerns around what data we give away for free these days.

I don't worry about a gov backed Orwellian future tho (my tax is paid, my life is boring) - more the amount of sh1t advertising and marketing companies get from you and the security of data that is held by companies (and how that can be abused to fuk up your life).

Long term I see issues around future use cases of data that arent possible yet. One example is, that in the future it will become more common to link more data sources to health insurance providers and although you must give permission, realistically those that down will be prices out of the market. And those data sources could be anything. Not just fitness watches, but stuff like your last X years location data. Too much time in pubs, that will be a levy on your premium. Too much time hanging around outside pubs.. probably a smoker, another levy.

You might think this is wacky now, but look at what you give away for free today vs 10 years ago. Not so outlandish to imagine all sorts of weird stuff in another 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Thankfully I am able to think beyond my own insignificant existence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveillance_capitalism

• Advertisement

Comment was made in jest.

You are correct thought, most of what we do is monitored in some shape or form now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveillance_capitalism

The consequences of which are: targeted advertising, which most of us receive anyway, so not really much of an impact.

The other point that gets brought up is "they could lose our data", yes they could, anyone with our data could. It's an inherent problem with personal data anywhere in any situation. It's one of the inherent drawbacks among the many benefits that our digitalised world brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    The consequences of which are: targeted advertising, which most of us receive anyway, so not really much of an impact.

The other point that gets brought up is "they could lose our data", yes they could, anyone with our data could. It's an inherent problem with personal data anywhere in any situation. It's one of the inherent drawbacks among the many benefits that our digitalised world brings.

I'm far from a conspiracy theorist myself, but I'm certainly noticing it's becoming more and more difficult to separate coincidence from unexpected personalised recommendations.

It isn't terribly problematic when you suspect Facebook is monitoring audio to direct advertisements at you.....a bit more concerning if it starts to reach the point where the chat you're having about looking forward to a fry up on Sunday morning to stave of the hangover starts to lead to increased insurance premiums.

We have already seen potentially much more significant problems, for example computer vision algorithms and racial profiling when utilising video surveillance data in trials. As a boring white fella, it isn't likely to negatively impact me, but I would have concerns around applying machine learning to real time security footage to identify, 'potential criminals' for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Go and look up the skinhead subculture. like these videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po2uVLPdXPg

And once you do that you will be flagged as a neo-nazi.

I'll add more skinheads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6y8SZSsQbQ

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Google constantly asks me if im a robot and im at the stage where in wondering if i am although i keep passing the tests so who knows.

The target add thing on my facebook is a mess never shows me anything im remotely interested in.

That said i was on facebook lately while an add break during a film on tv and in the backround the ad for casillero del diablo came on and literally the next ad on facebook was for casillero del diablo!

Coincidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That said i was on facebook lately while an add break during a film on tv and in the backround the ad for casillero del diablo came on and literally the next ad on facebook was for casillero del diablo!

Coincidence?

Yes

Go and look up the skinhead subculture. like these videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po2uVLPdXPg

And once you do that you will be flagged as a neo-nazi.

You won't literally be "flagged as a neo-nazi". It just means sensitive searches are saved, you can request this info yourself from Google. If you also happen to be under investigation for planning terrorist attacks, then investigators may be able to request access to that data (to prevent/prosecute an attack)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

You won't literally be "flagged as a neo-nazi". It just means sensitive searches are saved, you can request this info yourself from Google. If you also happen to be under investigation for planning terrorist attacks, then investigators may be able to request access to that data (to prevent/prosecute an attack)

How can I access all my sensitive searches from google

kingbhome wrote: »
    How can I access all my sensitive searches from google

Google it :)

But seriously there's a few guides, you just use google itself, can't remember the specifics, I downloaded mine a few years back out of curiosity. I think google deletes certain data after a few months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Google it :)

But seriously there's a few guides, you just use google itself, can't remember the specifics, I downloaded mine a few years back out of curiosity. I think google deletes certain data after a few months now.

That wouldn't make sense Haha.

Be curious to see mine. How long does it take and what does it show?

Advertisement