Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When/How Did You Discover Forum Games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Hey Sheridan81; im glad you are doing better and its bittersweet that you arent around as much - but in a good way, since its because you have more going on in your life again.

Hope all is well and stays well for you! If you ever want to pop back to FG, please do! You can ignore the rest of the site, but its always great to have lapsed FG-ers come back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Glad to hear it helped you Sheridan.

I have found Forum Games great for the mental health myself too, especially over lockdown the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Good to see your name pop up again Sheridan. Good to hear all's good and you don't need us :p

In all seriousness, it's great to hear about our little friendly corner of the internet having such a positive effect and that it helped you out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

First post in here was Lady Skunks Marvel Movie Sheep in July of 2019. Coming up on it's second birthday now, the entry list must be a mile long at this stage :pac:

10am on a Wednesday, must have been a quiet day in work to try and wrap my head around what a sheep was.
    I can only assume the thread hopped up in the latest posts list and was like "Marvel? Deadly, I'm in. I don't understand it but I'll probably win the fecking thing. :D "

First game that was completed was Nations of the world - the Peehs Extravaganza by Sully.
    Only getting to run through the reveal now. Thanks for organising sullivlo, I'm just happy I didn't come last in my first game.

Eleven Sheep and only two aces. I'd like to say I misread the rules but no, the only take away from this is to pick the answer that I think everyone else will be going with because more often than not they are not going to go with that one.

and Tusk said
    You think that now, but wait til you try that with the next game!

Taken about 10 years off my life this lovely place has with the second guessing and oh no I should have picked something else :)

2019/Necro

• Advertisement

Ok kidding.

Summer 2019 I guess I was bored and I kept seeing something about sheep on the latest posts feed. So I went lurking and then asked to play. It was Necros Alphabet Sheep for Boys Names. I was immediately addicted.

I love Forum Games. There's no ill will or snide comments. It's all fun and good natured jokes and it's been absolutely brilliant during all this covid stuff. My most exciting weekends over the last year have been here. The guys running the games deserve serious kudos.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Played in jayop first game in AH and then campaigned for a new forum. After a few initial blips in the mod team, myself and Pawwed decided to offer the position to Pter and then he went and confused everything by changing his name. We then invited Quickbeam onto the mod team.

I was a game mod for the Harry Potter game that drew a few people in, and I had such a good time running it.

I haven’t been around as much as I would like. Real life gets in the way. But I am smiling reading through the thread, both for seeing old names coming back up, and many names that I don’t recognise, all with the same positive attitude to the forum.

When all of this whole COVID thing is over, we’re going to need to book more than one table for the beers :)

And lots of balloons!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Baggly wrote: »
    And lots of balloons!

Definitely lots of balloons!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

And lots of balloons!
    Or just send somebody on a treasure hunt.

• Advertisement

Actually scratch that. If we get confirmation that Stu is coming to the next beers I will go buy 3 massive S T and U balloons and make him mind them for the night.

I might even stretch to an actual tin of condensed milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

sullivlo wrote: »
    Actually scratch that. If we get confirmation that Stu is coming to the next beers I will go buy 3 massive S T and U balloons and make him mind them for the night.

I might even stretch to an actual tin of condensed milk.

You can't just throw a statement like that out there and not tell the backstory of it. That's both oddly specific and random enough to have a back story. :pac:

Sully you weren't there the second time but I did in fact bring an actual tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Started with Jayops original game in After Hours that got moved pretty quickly.

Yes, I was a wolf.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Whatever happened to this mythical Jayop?
    Did they just disappear one day, only living on in the folk tales of the Forum Games residents? Are they aware of their legacy?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Whatever happened to this mythical Jayop?
    Did they just disappear one day, only living on in the folk tales of the Forum Games residents? Are they aware of their legacy?

Closed their account sadly.

Necro wrote: »
    Closed their account sadly.
    There's been a few mysterious disappearances, hopefully all for positive reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There's been a few mysterious disappearances, hopefully all for positive reasons

When the game gets too real..... :eek:

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

When the game gets too real..... :eek:

Shhhh don't tell them what happens at the FG Beers before they get there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

This seems like a good thread to ask. Beside starting a thread or derailing another

Can someone explain how Walrus works? Specifically where you PM the games organiser a music choice?

I was going to enter a game the other day but hadn't a clue what to do.

Found forum games by chance when a Sheep popped up on the main page and I joined in cos who doesnt enjoy a good sheep

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    This seems like a good thread to ask. Beside starting a thread or derailing another

Can someone explain how Walrus works? Specifically where you PM the games organiser a music choice?

I was going to enter a game the other day but hadn't a clue what to do.

Found forum games by chance when a Sheep popped up on the main page and I joined in cos who doesnt enjoy a good sheep

So in the Walrus sign up threads the host will have different categories such as:

Songs to wake up to
    Songs to eat breakfast to
    Etc.

You make your selection for the categories (normally a single song in each) and PM them to the game host who proceeds to listen to them and ranks them in order of their preference.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You can't just throw a statement like that out there and not tell the backstory of it. That's both oddly specific and random enough to have a back story. :pac:

Many years ago a group of about of 8 us had the first ever BGRH forum meet up. Obviously none of us knew each other, so we had no idea how we'd recognise one another. Someone jokingly suggested that we do the old film thing of wearing a carnation in your lapel. That was dismissed as being silly and that everyone should adopt the far more sensible approach of bringing a tin of Carnation condensed milk instead, which most people did. It then became a condition of coming to your first BGRH beers that you had to bring a tin of Carnation condensed milk. This culminated in the epic Night of a Thousand Corsets beers which resulted in a significant tower of condensed milk, all of which was taken home by one of the forum regulars and converted into the world's largest banoffi mountain. We even had a beers in Germany once, to which condensed milk was brought. Obviously we had standards, and should you bring a can of Carnation evaporated milk or, even worse, non-Carnation condensed milk, you were opening yourself up for at least an evening's worth of abuse. Somehow over the years the condensed milk requirement was adopted by some other forums so, while it's now pretty much defunct and most of the regulars no longer post on Boards, a little bit of BGRH lives on.

Dafuq is Carnation Condensed Milk? Is that an old person thing? Was it part of the rations for WWII or something?

Dafuq is Carnation Condensed Milk? Is that an old person thing? Was it part of the rations for WWII or something?
    carnation-condensed-397g-1.png?itok=K5YsCZdm

Still no idea what it is, but the Celebrating 120 years and the fact it's been knocking about since 1899 does confirm it is old... :pac:

Necro wrote: »
    carnation-condensed-397g-1.png?itok=K5YsCZdm
    Haven't seen this for decades - if you put the tin, unopened, in boiling water it turns into caramel. Might have to look for a tin next time I go shopping!

Its a cooking ingredient Levar. Its sweetened thickenend milk basically.

Its a cooking ingredient Levar. Its sweetened thickenend milk basically.

Explains why I've never heard of it, the only cooking ingredient I use is Meat...

giphy.gif

they make coffee with it in Vietnam........ served cold usually with ice, but you can get it hot also.....
    fecking gorg :D

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    they make coffee with it in Vietnam........ served cold usually with ice, but you can get it hot also.....
    fecking gorg :D
    Not surprised, just looked and its 55% sugar! :p

Advertisement