Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hair clippers and advice!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭karlitob

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I bought a Wahl about 20 years ago. It still does the job today. I am wondering will barbers ever get all of their business back? I know I won't be going as often and will be cutting my little fellas hair myself too. I reckon it will be a saving of around €250 per year on barbers.

Thanks for that. All those clippers in the link are wahl and the choice is still mad.

I go about every 2 months. I used only pay €13, the new one I went to I paid €16 and her shop wasn’t a tip like the other one. But after COVID she put it up to €20. I’m happy to support business and all but that’s a 25% inc and I’m pretty sure that me doing my hair or her doing it isn’t gonna make me a model.

So €120 savings for me in a year. And I’m sure I’ll use it more often if I have it at home.

Too much choice is a difficult thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I bought a Wahl about 20 years ago. It still does the job today. I am wondering will barbers ever get all of their business back? I know I won't be going as often and will be cutting my little fellas hair myself too. I reckon it will be a saving of around €250 per year on barbers.

Same, I have a Wahl from 25+ years ago, still going strong.
    I found that I cut my hair far more frequently now than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I bought a wahl clippers.

I ususally get a number 4 on the sides and sissors on top. So obviously my problem was going to be the top. I didnt want to use an number 8 guard as I dont want it that short.

So I order these from amazom.com.
    https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Clipper-Guides-Guards-Clippers/dp/B08RRTML59/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=wahl+clipper+guards+10+12+16&qid=1616767219&sr=8-2

The number 16 didnt work to well. But the number 12 was brilliant.

My advice to anybody cutting their own hair for the first time themselves is to watch this guys tutorials. I learned a lot from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JpAy_RTjos&t=787s

A basic haircut with 4 on the sides and 12 on the top is pretty easy. Im surprised how well mine turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭karlitob

I bought a wahl clippers.

I ususally get a number 4 on the sides and sissors on top. So obviously my problem was going to be the top. I didnt want to use an number 8 guard as I dont want it that short.

So I order these from amazom.com.
    https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Clipper-Guides-Guards-Clippers/dp/B08RRTML59/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=wahl+clipper+guards+10+12+16&qid=1616767219&sr=8-2

The number 16 didnt work to well. But the number 12 was brilliant.

My advice to anybody cutting their own hair for the first time themselves is to watch this guys tutorials. I learned a lot from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JpAy_RTjos&t=787s

A basic haircut with 4 on the sides and 12 on the top is pretty easy. Im surprised how well mine turned out.

That’s excellent. Thanks very much.

I’m planning on buying a wahl. Any suggestions whic one? See boots link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Bumping this thread. I have taken to using my faceshaver, a Philips SensoTouch RQ1180 to shave my head rather than the Wahl Baldfader, it feels safer and the shave is just as close, probably better. Also maintenance & cleaning is easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi folks,

So I am looking at a replacement clippers for my head - I say head because I have my head pretty much shaved thanks to going bald on top. Now I prefer keeping it at stubble length - around 0.3mm to 0.5mm.

Can anyone recommend a good clippers for that length? I know its basically shaving my head, without the smooth look, but I want to get a decent clippers to stop the pulling and knicks on my scalp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I got a clippers with ceramic blades the last time and it outperforms anything I’ve used before by a long way.
    Got it on Amazon but can’t find the link again.

Advertisement