Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Putting Mint on a laptop but keeping a Windows10 install partition/license for later?

• 19-01-2021 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've done any dual booting or messed around with Windows partitions, what would be the best way to install Mint on this laptop without losing the W10 license in case I want to switch back or resell it on as a Windows laptop?
    I don't mind dual booting, just wondering which partitions to keep!
    (I think I remember how to setup partitions)

Gparted screenshot below.

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptop here that came with W10.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dynablaster

Just pick the unallocated space for your linux partition. However, you should use installation wizard it's usually packed with distributions like mint and ubuntu, it's straight forward and should give you option like install system alongside with Windows.
    You won't lose your W10 license if your laptop come with preinstalled W10 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Do you know what sda4 and sda5 partitions contain in my image? I was thinking about reclaiming them into the unallocated space but they're probably recovery partitions, MS or Dell ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Do you know what sda4 and sda5 partitions contain in my image? I was thinking about reclaiming them into the unallocated space but they're probably recovery partitions, MS or Dell ones?

Yeah, most likely. I would leave them if at all possible. Both are of type "hidden/diag[nostics]" which is most likely have diagnostic software and the factory default image of Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 anfirrua

Be careful to boot your install media via EFI as Windows is booting via an EFI partition and you want to include your Mint install on that EFI partition.
    Otherwise, you will need to boot a Windows recovery media to reinstall the Windows EFI boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As you seem to intend to not make full use of the Windows install but just keep it to have for resale, I suggest you reduce the size of /dev/sda3 to provide more free space for Linux.

If you do this from Linux I suggest you reboot into Windows so that it can adjust itself to the new partition size.

You can then create one or more partitions in the free space after booting into Linux and install into those new partitions.

The drive partitioning scheme is apparently GPT so there should not be any difficulty creating new partitions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement