Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Review

Options
  • 01-01-2021 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just said id start a thread on how 2020 went for everyone.

Few positives:

Stocked well up on the bit of land so a handy source of an extra few quid and lamb for the freezer.
    New job lets me wfh so less need to be in the vicinity of others during covid.
    Survived the lockdowns fairly uneventfuly.
    Tractor build almost complete.

Some aims for 2021
    Buy our own home. We have a place found just waiting on estate agents.
    Insulate/renovate etc to make it comfortable.
    Grow some of our own veg.
    Keep on keeping on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'll bite :D

Not a massive change here. On the positive side my wife is far more onboard with the prepping so we could now go 2 months possibly a lot longer without having to go to the shops and would hardly notice the difference. Previously we'd have had a good months supply in the house.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I'll bite :D

Not a massive change here. On the positive side my wife is far more onboard with the prepping so we could now go 2 months possibly a lot longer without having to go to the shops and would hardly notice the difference. Previously we'd have had a good months supply in the house.

Sounds good. only real reason im at the shops now is diesel and animal feed.

We have a lot of dogs and feeding them is a bit of a problem. They eat far too well but I have a months supply of bare rations stored and my wife went out and bought another months worth so thats them covered. What I have for them is basic Lidl dry food plus a load of cans of Sardines which are cheap and dual purpose dog or human food. Then we have a yard full of chickens and other birds (avian flue is a worry there sometimes) and we keep about a months store of bird food. If my wife fed them properly instead of overfeeding we'd have 2 months for them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Well, having a full pantry has certainly been useful!

Equally useful was the fact that we were used to making tasty meals with canned, frozen and dried foods.Got a full lamb for the freezer which was great and tasty

One feature that really stuck out was how little space we have for firewood having to repeatedly go and buy fuel. But hopefully better by this time next year as we're in the process of trading up the house to one with a lot of outdoor space.

Heres to a better year!

mawk wrote: »
    Well, having a full pantry has certainly been useful!

Equally useful was the fact that we were used to making tasty meals with canned, frozen and dried foods.Got a full lamb for the freezer which was great and tasty

One feature that really stuck out was how little space we have for firewood having to repeatedly go and buy fuel. But hopefully better by this time next year as we're in the process of trading up the house to one with a lot of outdoor space.

Heres to a better year!

Yep fuel is certainly an issue. We get through a lot of wood and while I have at least another months supply I intend to go and get some more.

One review item worth mentioning is that just for the hell of it while I was isolating I went through some of the store which is for long term storage. Not stuff we'd use everyday. So I had some corned beef that has a use by date of 2015, very tasty, bacon grill 2014, yum and some chopped ham with pork 2015 also a OK. Out of date cup a soups were OK but had soggy croutons, who cares, dates on those were 2016. There were a couple of disasters can't remember exactly what it was but I had a tin of some form of Goulash BBD 2015 (Lidl special) where the tin had rotted out on the bottom - not nice. My fault though as storage location is really too damp. What I've started to do is put all cans in ziplock plastic bags just to help protect that cans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement