Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Log Cabins in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

we are talking about log cabins.... what rules apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Graces7 wrote: »

If you don't know the regulations in place regarding the building standards and their implementation in regards to housing and habitable structures.
    Perhaps you should read up on them here.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/building-regulations/building-regulations

• Subscribers Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

planning legislation

building regulations and standards

re the last 2 posts.... please google log cabins planning permission. Thank you. my internet time is almost out..

https://www.daft.ie/mayo/houses-for-sale/swinford/cartronmacmanus-killasser-log-cabin-swinford-mayo-1504061/

re the last 2 posts.... please google log cabins planning permission. Thank you. my internet time is almost out..

https://www.daft.ie/mayo/houses-for-sale/swinford/cartronmacmanus-killasser-log-cabin-swinford-mayo-1504061/

LOL

i dont need to "google log cabins planning permission"

ive worked every day for the last 20 years in the area of architecture and planning ... i know exactly their planning status, and the way chancers try to get around the system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That doesn't look like a dwelling, it appears to be on the market as a site:
    No services but planning approved (2003) for house and proprietary treatment unit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Graham wrote: »

Agreed! It's a site with a shed!
    It's quite deliberately under 25sqMtr.
    If I was to hazard a guess it would be that planning has lapsed and a "dwelling" was added to sucker some idiot into buying the site in the hope of planning being reinstated on the grounds of replacing an existing "dwelling"!

The level of mental gymnastics some folk will go to, to try and make their "point"!

<snip>

A fascinating scenario; was reading around prefabs too. and caravan sites. and chalets.. And yurts. and boats.

But smaller log cabins? Perfect for single folk. the one in Cavan...

But smaller log cabins? Perfect for single folk

Assuming you can get planning permission and the cabin meets current building regulations.

Neither of which are common/likely scenarios.
    the one in Cavan...

looks like a grand little spot to stop off for a cuppa after a days fishing and tromping around the woods. It looks nothing like a solution to the housing crisis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s a site with a shed on it.
    Go look at the actual planning that was granted on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Assuming you can get planning permission and the cabin meets current building regulations. Neither of which are common/likely scenarios.

Not everyone has the same requirements. If someone wants to live in a small abode that is adequately built, insulated, ventilated etc., then let them at it.

The same standards/ regulations/ planning mindset has done away with the bedsit market in the likes of Dublin. What were reasonably priced rental solutions that suited some people, have been replaced with accommodation that is necessarily more expensive and with fewer units. Which is all very well but if folks can't afford it, then it creates other problems.

To generalise, in this country, there's a mindset to bring in legislation and regulations in many aspects of our lives, without thinking through the unintended consequences and putting in place adequate provision to overcome these.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Not everyone has the same requirements. If someone wants to live in a small abode that is adequately built, insulated, ventilated etc., then let them at it.

Actually, everybody does have the same requirements.... Both individually and collectively. That's why we have regulation.

Your argument is ludite, and akin to arguing we should do away with decades of technological advances in other to make our homes better. We don't live in the era of cheap fuel like we did in the 70s.

Should we forgot advances in medicine and stop vaccinating our kids cos "not everyone has the same requirements"? Should we forget about surgical sterilisation and just chop off the doggy leg with our blood covered saw???

There is nothing stopping anyone living in a small abode, once it complies with proper planning and building standards.... Those standards dictate what is proper ventilation, insulation, heating etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BarryD2 wrote:

So you want the planning regs changed to let everyone do what they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When it says
    No services but planning approved (2003) for house and proprietary treatment unit
    It means that there is planning for a house. That is not a house.

Also, doesn't planning permission not have an expiry date?
    So you'd be okay with someone building a house with a window overlooking your garden with the exhaust for their chimney next to your back door?

And what exactly is "adequately built"? If you don't think they should follow any regulations, who decides if it's adequately built?

the_syco wrote: »
    When it says

It means that there is planning for a house. That is not a house.

Also, doesn't planning permission not have an expiry date?

So you'd be okay with someone building a house with a window overlooking your garden with the exhaust for their chimney next to your back door?

And what exactly is "adequately built"? If you don't think they should follow any regulations, who decides if it's adequately built?

define house then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Graces7 wrote:
    define house then?

There is no need to define what constitutes a house, the planning regulations clearly define what is allowed / used as a dwelling and as such what the construction of same should conform too.

There is no need to define what constitutes a house, the planning regulations clearly define what is allowed / used as a dwelling and as such what the construction of same should conform too.

That is not a definition of a house. my question was referring to a previous post that averred that a small log cabin in not a house . a very differentr angle from your reply

awec wrote: »
    In fairness the climate in Ireland compared to most of those places is very different.

You can rent them in Scotland, where the climate is even more challenging with the Atlantic winds, buckets of rain, plus often a harsher winter. Mightn’t be a forever building, but quite eco friendly I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

That is not a definition of a house. my question was referring to a previous post that averred that a small log cabin in not a house . a very differentr angle from your reply

If it cannot obtaining planning permission as a dwelling, and cannot comply with the relevant building regulations for dwellings, its not a house. There are people currently living in their cars, if they decide to sell in the morning they cant sell the car as a house just because they lived in it.

a house is a structure that can be sold as a house :D:D:D:D

as that auctioneer is doing all they can to sell without calling it a house... it means its not a house

• Advertisement

You can rent them in Scotland, where the climate is even more challenging with the Atlantic winds, buckets of rain, plus often a harsher winter. Mightn’t be a forever building, but quite eco friendly I would imagine.
    By rent, do you mean for a few weeks during the summer, or 365 days a year? Also, are they regulated?
    define house then?
    Not a shed. Something that has built according to regulations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

define house then?

A structures used for residential habitation that complies with planning and building regulations at the time of its construction.

A log cabin is not a house, its a structure. Can someone call it a home, yes. Can they call it a house, no.

define house then?
    kceire wrote: »
    A structures used for residential habitation that complies with planning and building regulations at the time of its construction.
    A log cabin is not a house, its a structure. Can someone call it a home, yes. Can they call it a house, no.

??? Are you trying to subvert language and apply your own meanings where they don't exist ???

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/house

'A building for human habitation, especially one that consists of a ground floor and one or more upper storeys.' + various other meanings. There are no conditions attached to the word house, planning or building etc

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

??? Are you trying to subvert language and apply your own meanings where they don't exist ???

'A building for human habitation, especially one that consists of a ground floor and one or more upper storeys.' + various other meanings. There are no conditions attached to the word house, planning or building etc

Yeah thats something thats going to stand up in court, "the dictionary said it was a house your honor"

Your post is only diverting from the real issue, the examples provided cannot be classed as a dwelling house under the Irish regulations or laws, thats it.

There are no conditions attached to the word house, planning or building etc
    To the word, no, there are no conditions, but to the classification of a house, there is, yes.

And you cannot classify a log cabin as a house, if it doesn't meet the requirements.

As the Donald would say...

"WRONG"

Mod Note

Take the semantics debate somewhere else.

Let's assume
    this is the accommodation & property forum
    for the purposes of this discussion 'house' is a construction that can legally be used to house people.

Whatever about prejudices & semantics: other than aesthetics, I can't see any problem with someone choosing to live in an abode like this: <SNIP>Link to small cabin removed</SNIP> and I'm just picking it at random. Yes 50m2 is small but the house we purchased (built around 1910) was same size, 2up & 2down - a family of 2 adults and I think 5 or 6 children reared in it. Obviously families of that size would require more space now, but grand for an individual or couple etc.

I think you're missing the point BarryD2.

While I can't speak for everyone, I can tell you why I personally advise people against this type of structure.

1) they rarely conform to building regulations.
    2) they rarely get planning permission
    3) where 1 & 2 don't apply, costs are similar or higher than a traditional build.
    4) I don't like the idea of encouraging people to spend 20k/30k/40k/50k for a home they discover they can't live in or has to be demolished.

If someone comes up with low-cost, building regs compliant, likely to gain planning permission housing. I'll be one of the first to get the pompoms out and start cheerleading whatever it's constructed out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

I know its been bandied about plenty but how about an updated version of Dominic Stevens vernacular house that meets the various requirements? Would it take much more to get it there? I remember reading an architects blog post on it and once the workmanship was done well u values were coming in at close to passive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement