Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sea green - New Housing development

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Joeb124

Hi,

Have bought in phase 2 and looking to see how anyone from phase 1 or 2 has got on requesting small changes etc from the developer. Also if anyone has any information on the creche that is due to be built within the development? Also any other timelines that the developers have given to anyone.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 vivalalala

Hey Joeb124,

We have made some changes to ours and it's gone ok so far. Where they can, they will accommodate, but some changes will cost extra. Get in early with them so that they will incorporate the changes into the very start of the build. We missed a window of opportunity with ours and consequently our changes are costing more cause they have to undo some of the work they've already completed. In fairness, I'm not sure how we were meant to know when to ask them as you have to visit the site weekly to see where they are with it. But anyway, my advice is - the earlier the better!

We were also told they are cracking down on changes now to get the build moving along. So, go up to the site and talk to them about what you want to do as soon as you make your decisions then send everything by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Joeb124

Thanks a mill

Going to go book a visit with them next week and see what we can change for free and what costs more.

Will def do before they start.

Thanks,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Papav3r

vivalalala wrote: »
    Hey Joeb124,

We have made some changes to ours and it's gone ok so far. Where they can, they will accommodate, but some changes will cost extra. Get in early with them so that they will incorporate the changes into the very start of the build. We missed a window of opportunity with ours and consequently our changes are costing more cause they have to undo some of the work they've already completed. In fairness, I'm not sure how we were meant to know when to ask them as you have to visit the site weekly to see where they are with it. But anyway, my advice is - the earlier the better!

We were also told they are cracking down on changes now to get the build moving along. So, go up to the site and talk to them about what you want to do as soon as you make your decisions then send everything by email.

Curious as to what changes you had made?

We asked about underfloor heating but were told it wasn't really possible in development builds. It's easier to do on one-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jeppers

Hey all,

We've also bought a house in Seagreen for the initial phase but are finding the developers solicitor extremely slow to deal with. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this issue as well?

We called down on Saturday for a look and there's at least 4/5 houses occupied on Seagreen Park and building work is well underway on Seagreen Avenue. Development seems to be progressing well but not sure if they are ahead/behind schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 skudboat

Hi All,

We have bought off the 1st phase too. Didn't find the builders solicitors too bad. We are due to be snagging very shortly apparently. What we found most frustrating is not being kept in the loop about what progress was being made in the interior. We were told the interior work (tiling/electrics/painting/bathrooms)would start at the beginning of August but nothing was started until the middle of September.
    Also we thought the new road extension at the back of lidl was only going to go into the Sea Green estate, not to be a public road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

skudboat wrote: »
    Also we thought the new road extension at the back of lidl was only going to go into the Sea Green estate, not to be a public road!
    If its open at both ends, its going to be a through road, not a cul-de sac.
    You weren't thinking ;)
    Look on the bright side; the main road traffic will not go past the actual houses in the estate, so you have the best of both worlds. Easy access, but no rat runs through the estate roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

New houses launching next week, be interesting to see if same interest as first phase...

We made some changes to the kitchen mainly. The suppliers were pretty good about it and very easy to deal with. We also didn't take the hideous fake fireplace on offer! (apologies to anyone who is keeping there, I just didn't like the look of it).

We also moved some radiators downstairs as the position of them was crazy. If you can, get on to that at the very beginning. As another person mentioned here, we were not kept well informed of the process of the build and are visiting a lot. Not knowing when certain things were happening meant we missed a window to move the plumbing around, and it then costs us extra to make a few of the changes. A bit annoying.

skudboat wrote: »
    Hi All,

We have bought off the 1st phase too. Didn't find the builders solicitors too bad. We are due to be snagging very shortly apparently. What we found most frustrating is not being kept in the loop about what progress was being made in the interior. We were told the interior work (tiling/electrics/painting/bathrooms)would start at the beginning of August but nothing was started until the middle of September.
    How did you get on with your snagging? We have a date for ours now! Did you catch much in the process and were they quick to deal with it?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the story is with broadband in Seagreen?

I have heard that a few people, who moved in a while ago, are still without. Apparently the developers are saying the ball is Eircom's court, and Eircom are saying the opposite.

Sounds like fun.

Joeb124 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill

Going to go book a visit with them next week and see what we can change for free and what costs more.

Will def do before they start.

Thanks,
    Dave
    How did you get on? Did you make any of the changes you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Papav3r

Does anyone know what the story is with broadband in Seagreen?

I have heard that a few people, who moved in a while ago, are still without. Apparently the developers are saying the ball is Eircom's court, and Eircom are saying the opposite.

Sounds like fun.

Is Eircom the only provider that is on offer up there? I was hoping Virgin might be putting down some cables as I'd seen them doing work in Redford recently.

Papav3r wrote: »
    Is Eircom the only provider that is on offer up there? I was hoping Virgin might be putting down some cables as I'd seen them doing work in Redford recently.

Well Eircom own all the lines don't they? Eircom need to put a line into the house before any other operator can use it. As far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Eircom is over a different cable, fibre or copper - Hopefully it's fibre and not old-tech copper!! For Virgin, they're always on a separate cable they own themselves. They have this super duper DOCSIS technology over coax which brings Virgin Media's services. Any word of VM being in the development?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Eircom is over a different cable, fibre or copper - Hopefully it's fibre and not old-tech copper!! For Virgin, they're always on a separate cable they own themselves. They have this super duper DOCSIS technology over coax which brings Virgin Media's services. Any word of VM being in the development?
    Hmm, I rang Virgin yesterday and they have no record of the Seagreen estate. When I spoke to Eir they said they had heard form other customers at Seagreen. But I couldn't get much more info out of them.

I'm just worried that there is some ongoing dispute between Eir and the developers and that it won't be sorted out quickly. I work from home so I will need to get the broadband set up rather fast.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Hmm, I rang Virgin yesterday and they have no record of the Seagreen estate. When I spoke to Eir they said they had heard form other customers at Seagreen. But I couldn't get much more info out of them.

I'm just worried that there is some ongoing dispute between Eir and the developers and that it won't be sorted out quickly. I work from home so I will need to get the broadband set up rather fast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

coming from someone with no vested interests, the providers all come from the same central switch. they have no control over this. seagreen is clearly not connected to this switch one way or another, for now, it would be very surprising if this was fully facilitated during early periods of construction...which it still is. i'd recommend a mobile dongle which should provide decent connectivity from the nearby masts in the wood above as i wouldn't hold my breath on fibre or otherwise anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

coming from someone with no vested interests, the providers all come from the same central switch. they have no control over this. seagreen is clearly not connected to this switch one way or another, for now, it would be very surprising if this was fully facilitated during early periods of construction...which it still is. i'd recommend a mobile dongle which should provide decent connectivity from the nearby masts in the wood above as i wouldn't hold my breath on fibre or otherwise anytime soon.

that's not correct - Virgin's network is entirely separate (as is Siro's though they haven't started installing in Greystones yet). Other providers are reliant on Eircom lines.

It's ludicrous if Eircom aren't preinstalling fibre into all new estates now, they've stated they're going to have all areas covered within the next 5 years, they might as well take the opportunity while estates are under construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

The developers are the selectors of the service providers.
    I guess they are still negotiating , pitting one against the other.
    Nothing will happen until this is concluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

No fibre cabinet has been provision / installed yet in Seagreen. Eir / KNN field engineers are waiting on connectivity back to the Greystones exchange before lines can be pulled into the estate and into residents homes. This will be easy to do once the initial connectivity is complete as the underground trunks are all brand new, Greystones exchange is 1000mb fibre enabled so residents should eventually have the option of both fibre to the cabinet (last leg between cabinet and home is over traditional copper) or fibre to the home.

Once fibre is available, residents will also be able to choose from other providers to get the best value for money.
    All apart from VM & Siro rely on Eir's core infrastructure to provide service.

My advice, keep the pressure on the developers to engage with Eir and get a fibre cabinet installed to serve the initial stages of the development.

Someone else already mentioned a mobile dongle, this is a very viable option in the interim as the mobile masts are located up in Kindlestown forest so signal strength should not be an issue.

Spoke with the developers only last week and they are aware of Eir's requirements to complete connectivity back the exchange. They mentioned that VM were a bit late to the party when it came to approaching them about putting in their own infrastructure so not sure how or when they will be providing connectivity to the area.

I'll be following this closely myself as will also require broadband from day 1 due to working from home.

DK32 wrote: »

Someone else already mentioned a mobile dongle, this is a very viable option in the interim as the mobile masts are located up in Kindlestown forest so signal strength should not be an issue.

Mobile signal is poor at Temple Carrig School (for Three at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

loyatemu wrote: »
    Mobile signal is poor at Temple Carrig School (for Three at least).

Must check both 3G and 4G signals on Eir Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

As an interim measure, I would recommend a Huawei modem (B593 or it's replacement) instead of a dongle for mobile broadband.
    Superior performance, multi user and connects via Ethernet or WiFi.
    Connect your laptop, smart phones and tablets.

If the 4G Three signal is good then you can use "all you can eat" data for €20/month on prepay. Other providers may have similar offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Cerco wrote: »
    As an interim measure, I would recommend a Huawei modem (B593 or it's replacement) instead of a dongle for mobile broadband.
    Superior performance, multi user and connects via Ethernet or WiFi.
    Connect your laptop, smart phones and tablets.

If the 4G Three signal is good then you can use "all you can eat" data for €20/month on prepay. Other providers may have similar offers.
    Virgin Media are available in Rathdown Park, which is about 2 kilometers from Seagreen.

Their broadband service is faster than anything Eir are offering. They're very open to new estates, this is a screwup by the developers. Get onto VM, see if they can get access. They're in Greystones, they have fiber drops nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 skudboat

How did you get on with your snagging? We have a date for ours now! Did you catch much in the process and were they quick to deal with it?

We moved in 2 weeks ago as we had to draw down on mortgage. Still a few outstanding items on the snag list that need to be completed and we are finding other new things that need to be fixed too. Taking an age to get them completed and getting any response from builder is a struggle. The builders look to be busy getting the last few houses ready for moving in so I guess I'm at the end of the priority list now that we've moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

VM have fiber very close by. Ask your developer are they available? They are obliged to offer co-operation to various providers

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

I find it mind-boggling that the developpers do not provide broadband access as standard or at least don't provide cable ducts etc so that new home owners have to connectand go!

jpd wrote: »
    I find it mind-boggling that the developpers do not provide broadband access as standard or at least don't provide cable ducts etc so that new home owners have to connectand go!

I'm sure they've laid ducts, it's the arrangements to allow Eir or Virgin into those ducts that seem to be delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 bollob

as i understand it the ducts are in place, but only wired up to the first one by eir (by the site office - who have broadband).
    to enable connection to any house past 89 (who as i understand it also have broadband @50mbps) the other ducts need to be connected and eir need to do this, once this is done you can take any provider.

Advertisement