Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

littlebug wrote: »
    Is anyone expecting or hoping for anything nature/ birdwatching related for Christmas?
    I know I'm getting a book. I know because I bought it.
    Which book are you getting.
    I dont know if im getting anything nature related a nice pair of Bins
    would be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Ireland's Animals: Myths, Legends & Folklore
    by Niall Mac Coitir

http://www.charliebyrne.com/details.php?ID=509

It was recomended on mooney goes wild as a christmas Present
    It sounded very good

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Is anyone expecting or hoping for anything nature/ birdwatching related for Christmas?
    Reading A Field Guide to Freshwater Life in Britain and North-west Europe at the moment. Great book published in 1986 encompassing all aspects of freshwater life with detailed keys for most groups. Ordered Complete Guide to British Wildlife and A Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe. Although some of the material in these editions may be outdated I think they are far more detailed and useful than some modern field guides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Reading Helm field guide to Birds of East Asia:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭littlema

I had a close encounter with a stoat today when it ran across the road in front of my car. I think the car but not the wheels went over it. I didn't feel a bump anyway.. one very lucky stoat. It was carrying something fairly big so it's not going hungry anyway.

Something got our bunny, it was in a run, with its cage inside, and almost a full cover over the whole lot...but whatever it was it took poor buns head and left me with the rest to ? bury-ground a tad hard for graves- minus 13 that day.Would it have been a stoat or a fox?

little ma wrote: »
    Something got our bunny, it was in a run, with its cage inside, and almost a full cover over the whole lot...but whatever it was it took poor buns head and left me with the rest to ? bury-ground a tad hard for graves- minus 13 that day.Would it have been a stoat or a fox?

I would not think it was a stoat or a fox they would have taken the
    bunny away for (sorry) dinner else where.
    It is a lot trouble to go through and not take the most edible part.
    I suspect the possible culprit is mink which kill for the sake killing.
    That is my humble opinion some one more knowledgeable than me
    might have a better theory

I spent a few hours on Inis Mór today. I've never seen so many thrushes- they were everywhere! Lots of pipits too. There were also curlew, sanderling, stonechat and lots of other birds I couldn't identify on the spot but I'll post up some pics later when I've sifted through them.

yesterdays lists stands at....

Blackbird, song thrush, mistle thrush, redwing, fieldfare, meadow pipit, house sparrow, Stonechat, robin, oystercatcher, pied wagtail, snipe, golder plover, mute swan, whooper swan, herring gull, black backed gull, (possible) ring billed gull, great northern diver, wigeon, redshank, sanderling, plover, curlew, snipe, common sandpiper, turnstone and some other ducks and waders that I couldn't get close enough to id.

No finches or tits. I also expected to see linnets as I usually would out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

anyone watch "The bear family and me" on bbc the last 3 nights.

interesting enough, gordon buchannon went out to capture some bear footage in Minnesota to a guy who monitors the bears around him by befriending them and hand feeding them and putting radio collars on them while fully awake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZ-yQ9lTeE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

trebor28 wrote: »
    anyone watch "The bear family and me" on bbc the last 3 nights.

interesting enough, gordon buchannon went out to capture some bear footage in Minnesota to a guy who monitors the bears around him by befriending them and hand feeding them and putting radio collars on them while fully awake.

Yeah, missed the first 2, but just caught the last episode tonight. Interesting stuff... Though somehow I doubt that coming face-to-face with a bear will make that hunter lad think any differently. Bear burgers and a bear trap for a doorbell.

Bagmagnet wrote: »
    Yeah, missed the first 2, but just caught the last episode tonight. Interesting stuff... Though somehow I doubt that coming face-to-face with a bear will make that hunter lad think any differently. Bear burgers and a bear trap for a doorbell.

no will probably not change his mind on the sport, but it looked like it had some affect on him.
    but why are they hunting bears in the first place??
    tradition!
    no other reason!
    when you see lads shooting bear who are obviously tagged, and with 20,000 other bears knocking around what chance do the people have!

yes he had bear burgers, but if you were gordon would you have eaten it??

you should try and watch last nights ep.
    mad to think that hope survived on her own for so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

people who hunt bears are a££holes full stop. there is absolutely no legit reason to shoot any bear unless they are man killers or are encroaching into human habitation both of which is not the case with this young idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BrianJD

people who hunt bears are a££holes full stop. there is absolutely no legit reason to shoot any bear unless they are man killers or are encroaching into human habitation both of which is not the case with this young idiot!

What is enjoyable at shooting a stable large animal. I can understand the skills and possible rush somebody gets for catching a fish but shooting a bear or moose?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes he had bear burgers, but if you were gordon would you have eaten it??
    the fact that the guy hunted for food made it somewhat more excusable; the idea of hunting simply because you like killing animals is a disturbing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

A very enjoyable programme, though my heart was in my mouth when Gordon stepped out through the window when Daddy Bear was out there, then to be left alone with him while the other fella went for more nuts! :eek: Not sure I would be so brave!

The new greeting at home now when I come in is "its me Bear" just incase he's in a bad mood :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Just wandered back to the forum for a visit. How is everyone? Good I hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

boneless wrote: »
    Well, hello stranger...:)

boneless wrote: »

Hallo boneless, nice to see you back here :)

• Advertisement

I can hear geese from my house but I can't find them! How frustrating:mad: There were 20 odd greylag on the turlough a couple of weeks ago so it could be the same birds but they're most likely nestled in some little mini turlough somewhere between the drumlins where I can't get to them without crossing somebodys fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Something got our bunny, it was in a run, with its cage inside, and almost a full cover over the whole lot...but whatever it was it took poor buns head and left me with the rest ..... Would it have been a stoat or a fox?

That's grim, Little Ma. Learn from it though. Next time, consider what could come after ye creatures and either proof them out, or else set a pre emptively defensive measure ready for them.

Regards what got Bun? Mustalids eat from the nose down. Stoat might just eat the side of the skull away and eat the brain out. Take a bloody hungry stoat to eat a whole rabbits head though.

Badger? Ye'd have known about it. He'd have torn his way into the hutch. Unmistakable. Fox could make a mess. But wouldn't just eat the head off. Dog? No telling how a Dog might react. I've known them leave a rabbit in three bits! Cat's might peel the skin back and eat the flesh. Tend to start at the rear anyway.

No. I'm with Bogtreader on this one. I'd go for mink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Ditch wrote: »
    That's grim, Little Ma. Learn from it though. Next time, consider what could come after ye creatures and either proof them out, or else set a pre emptively defensive measure ready for them.

We had a fox proof pen. Fence is high enough and it is buried....but never considered snow reducing the effective height of fence and a fox got in when the snow was at its highest. The few inches made the difference. Lost 4 ducklings.

Mothman; Have ye now got a couple of strands of electric ~ and other ~ wires round that pen?

And what of a mink? They're crazy about ducklings.

I'm a Pest Controller, see? But, I have no urge to kill for sport. That's why I'm not looking in the Hunting section. Same time though, I'm watching what I say in here ;)

My advice is always to look to ye perimeters. Aim to stop them at ye fences. Then, if they make it in through them? Ensure they have to cross a veritable mine field, before they even get to the Fort Knox where ye valuables are secured.

Get there? That's where ye'll find them, in the morning.

heres a link on the bbc website of mp3's you can download of birds calls etc with chris packham.

just right click on the link and save as.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces/downloads/mp3s/

edit.
    only listened to one now, think its aimed at kids.
    sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭littlema

Ditch wrote: »

Regards what got Bun? Mustalids eat from the nose down. Stoat might just eat the side of the skull away and eat the brain out. Take a bloody hungry stoat to eat a whole rabbits head though.

Badger? Ye'd have known about it. He'd have torn his way into the hutch. Unmistakable. Fox could make a mess. But wouldn't just eat the head off. Dog? No telling how a Dog might react. I've known them leave a rabbit in three bits! Cat's might peel the skin back and eat the flesh. Tend to start at the rear anyway.

No. I'm with Bogtreader on this one. I'd go for mink.

Hmmmm, we are on pretty high ground with no river or lake within 2-3 miles of us so I am not sure of mink, it also went back over the fence (almost 3 feet high) with the head ,as I tracked it down the road about 100 mtrs in the snow! There was also some of Bun's (or killers)fur left on the rough fencing where it squeezed through the gap and it was beige-not dark like mink.I Will stick with the dog that comes into the house every night and leave the "great out-doors" to the wildlife out there-no more hutches or coops for me!:rolleyes:

we are on pretty high ground with no river or lake within 2-3 miles of us so I am not sure of mink, it also went back over the fence (almost 3 feet high) with the head

Ahh. Sorry. I had the impression the pred' had eaten the head. Decapitation smacks of a Dog, to me. That's just based on strictly personal experience. I've never known anything else to take a head away and drop it ~ unless ye've more 'new' information up ye sleeve for us ....?

Mink? It's a fallacy that ye only find them beside water. Bucks, especially, will roam for miles across land. Just like otters. Only, mink don't tend to bite off the head. They'd eat it away.

Didn't the hundred yards of tracks suggest to ye what it was?

I saw a fox cross the road a bit ahead of me this morning and had just about convinced myself it must've been a dog but glanced into the field it went into and there it was.. just sitting in the open looking back out onto the road! I've never seen one in daylight before... lovely looking creature!

I saw a fox cross the road a bit ahead of me this morning and had just about convinced myself it must've been a dog but glanced into the field it went into and there it was.. just sitting in the open looking back out onto the road! I've never seen one in daylight before... lovely looking creature!

had a similar experience myself yesterday, though i have seen plenty of foxes before.
    was driving down my road at about 14.30 when i saw a fox on the road go into a field, this was several hundred yards ahead of me.
    i slowed down as i came to the gate, and there was the fox just inside looking out at me within a stones throw.

wasnt expecting that at all. i waited in my car and just stared at him, i had to leave then when i car came along behind me.

• Advertisement

heres a link on the bbc website of mp3's you can download of birds calls etc with chris packham.

just right click on the link and save as.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces/downloads/mp3s/

Thanks a million for the link to that.
    I have been looking for a download like this for a good while.
    As my iding for birds leaves a lot to be desired.
    I can now listen on my mp3 at work to hopefully improve it

Advertisement