Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Turning out a nice evening in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Turning out a nice evening in Dublin.

In parts of East Leinster the weather seem to be stuck in a cycle of lovely sunny early mornings and late evenings with the rest of the day overcast , very warm and windy .
    In my memory this is quite unusual . Can any of you more expert weather watchers explain why this particular pattern is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Turned into a very nice day down in Castlegregory, Co. Kerry after a cloudy morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In parts of East Leinster the weather seem to be stuck in a cycle of lovely sunny early mornings and late evenings with the rest of the day overcast , very warm and windy .
    In my memory this is quite unusual . Can any of you more expert weather watchers explain why this particular pattern is happening.

Yeah I've noticed a lot of that too, cloudy all day and then breaks up a bit in the evening.
    Was a nice enough day today if a bit dull but it's brighter now, I wasn't hyped about a let down like yesterday so I'm back to just taking it as it comes now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sky broke up earlier this evening. Some glimmers of sun but not that much either. Current look:

CAYP4Zj.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hottest day of the year so far in Cobh, incredibly, beating yesterdays 20.9C with a massive 21.0C. Surprised at that. Lovely evening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

We had rain last night. Yet another sunless cloudy day followed.
    Leitrim

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Turned into a very nice day down in Castlegregory, Co. Kerry after a cloudy morning.

Lovely this evening across the Bay back in Banna . Must take to the water soon before the summer slips away.

Got up to 16.2C and cooling down now a bit to 11.9C

9RhK6sp.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Cool and rainy weather due for my weekend away, you really can't plan anything in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

SNNUS wrote: »
    Cool and rainy weather due for my weekend away, you really can't plan anything in this country.

In the same boat. Weekend weather looks anything but nailed down. GFS and ECM currently at odds on what weekend will be like so need to see which way it goes. Thurs and Fri weren't looking great but looking a bit better now so maybe same will happen.. particularly if you in the East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

In the same boat. Weekend weather looks anything but nailed down. GFS and ECM currently at odds on what weekend will be like so need to see which way it goes. Thurs and Fri weren't looking great but looking a bit better now so maybe same will happen.. particularly if you in the East.

Let's hope so, I'm in the West so let's see how it pans out for Spanish point ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Daytime convection - the morning sun heats the ground. This heat rises meeting the cooler air above, causing clouds to form in the late morning. These clouds dissipate in the evening as the sun loses it's intensity.

sun01.gif

The effects of the "sea breeze" are pronounced on the above map, particularly on southern and eastern coasts where the surrounding land is typically warmest causing cooler sea air to push inland to replace the heat rising inland.

It's often worth taking a trip to Wexford to see this in action, passing Mulinavat and heading towards New Ross and you can see the clear blue sky up in front.

See attached: h-image.ashx?region=eu&time=201807301600&ir=False

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Clear skies here in Castlebar tonight and quite cool at 8 degrees. Lovely Moon low in the sky now. nice night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Danno wrote: »
    Daytime convection - the morning sun heats the ground. This heat rises meeting the cooler air above, causing clouds to form in the late morning. These clouds dissipate in the evening as the sun loses it's intensity.

sun01.gif

The effects of the "sea breeze" are pronounced on the above map, particularly on southern and eastern coasts where the surrounding land is typically warmest causing cooler sea air to push inland to replace the heat rising inland.

It's often worth taking a trip to Wexford to see this in action, passing Mulinavat and heading towards New Ross and you can see the clear blue sky up in front.

See attached: h-image.ashx?region=eu&time=201807301600&ir=False

Also evident on that map is that the immediate west coast is significantly sunnier than just a few km inland. My childhood home was right on the coast and speaking to the parents who still live there they frequently report sunny skies when its 100% overcast here in Letterkenny.

Main reason as you say is likely convective cumulus cloud not forming on the immediate coast due to cooling sea breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was down in Bandon last weekend, I was in my sisters car and the temperature recorded at about 4.30 in the afternoon reached 28 degrees and on Sunday I was in the same car and we were perhaps a few miles out of Cork city going towards Blarney direction and the temperature recorded was 29 degrees, this would've been about 2ish in the afternoon. Now its a small car so it could have been warmed up adding a few degrees to the actual temperature. The forecasters on boards, can the inside of the car increase the real time temperature by a few degrees?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Was down in Bandon last weekend, I was in my sisters car and the temperature recorded at about 4.30 in the afternoon reached 28 degrees and on Sunday I was in the same car and we were perhaps a few miles out of Cork city going towards Blarney direction and the temperature recorded was 29 degrees, this would've been about 2ish in the afternoon. Now its a small car so it could have been warmed up adding a few degrees to the actual temperature. The forecasters on boards, can the inside of the car increase the real time temperature by a few degrees?

No. The thermometer is just inside the front grille, in front of the radiator, so it's not affected by the temperature inside the car. In strong sunshine a car can read several degrees high if it's been parked in the sun for a while, so it's still hot under the bonnet for the first few kms. Even then, an asphalt road will heat up to 40-50 °C and a car's thermometer, which is fairly low down, will register some of that excess heat. Never trust a car's reading in strong sunshine (or even otherwise, if in traffic).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Another nice morning in Dublin. Sun poking through the clouds but very calm.. Not a puff of wind

Nice in Arklow but with a Marine flow
    No land heat in it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Dark as night in Sligo

spitting drizzle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Gone seriously dark in galway, still dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Miserable dark and wet morning in Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

Sunny and warm in Dublin again this morning. Feel bad for the northwest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely day here in Meath and feeling warm too, currently 20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah some Summers in the Northwest we get drizzle and dull at times while the East basks but this year its non stop

Id say weve had about 40hrs of sun all month against over 100hrs on the Eastern side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

1pm
    Malin head 12c
    Castlederg 12c
    Phoenix Park 20c
    Kerry/Farranfore 20c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    1pm
    Malin head 12c
    Castlederg 12c
    Phoenix Park 20c
    Kerry/Farranfore 20c

Some split that is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Cool, overcast and dull again in Castlebar, barely 13C but hoping we end up with a nice evening like last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Breezy fresh and bright here today but you can see the clouds gathering. Breeze is fresh blew over a few of our pots earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Generous sunshine in southern Laois after a hazy start and a rouge shower that literally shed twenty five drops of rain! Almost 21c in a south easterly breeze blowing 10mph and gusting near 20mph. Kinda takes the edge of what would otherwise be a fantastic day.

The 1pm sat image shows the whole county of Cork under cloud, almost as if the atmosphere respected boundaries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

0rx2evr.png

New Moon

Advertisement