Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aphex Twin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I've been interested in owning a bass station II having previously owned all of the other iterations of the bass station. It's a great sounding synth and this new version looks great and has some very interesting features, I'm just not sure if it justifies the higher price of €437 though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

jiltloop wrote: »
    I've been interested in owning a bass station II having previously owned all of the other iterations of the bass station. It's a great sounding synth and this new version looks great and has some very interesting features, I'm just not sure if it justifies the higher price of €437 though....

I'm always curious when people own multiple synths. Pardon the naivety, but aren't they all roughly the same? I recently bought a Moog Mother-32, knowing next to nothing about synths but what it seems to be is a tool for taking electric current and manipulating it to make weird sounds. As I type this I guess that's what any electric instrument does but :confused:

I'm always curious when people own multiple synths. Pardon the naivety, but aren't they all roughly the same? I recently bought a Moog Mother-32, knowing next to nothing about synths but what it seems to be is a tool for taking electric current and manipulating it to make weird sounds. As I type this I guess that's what any electric instrument does but :confused:

They're roughly the same in the same way cars are roughly the same, i.e they all can make music (get from A to B for the car analogy) but they do it differently.

There are certainly bread and butter bass and lead sounds that nearly all synths are capable of covering but each has it's own character, modulation possibilities (which can bring you to experimental places leading you to sounds you couldn't have made with another synth) and timbre.

Much like guitars I suppose, they all pretty much get played the same but they sound different and are capable of different ranges of tones depending on whether they're acoustic, electric, solid body, steel body etc, then of course there can be different pick-ups whammy bars etc.

I haven't played with the Moog Mother-32 but I know it's a semi modular synth (i.e a synth where you can change the hard wired routing) and as such it is very easy to go off the beaten track as it were when experimenting with patching.

Incidently the bass station would be a better first synth to get to grips with as the layout and routing is fairly traditional and intuitive.

Aphex Twin Sells NFT Artwork for $128,000

Aphex Twin has sold a graphic artwork in NFT form, earning Ethereum currency equivalent to roughly $128,392.56 at the time of sale. Announcing his entrance to the controversial digital marketplace, Richard D. James said he would spend “a portion of the money on planting trees and either donating to permaculture projects or setting them up ourselves, depending on how much we get.” The auction closed Sunday night (March 14), at a price of 72.00 ETH.

https://pitchfork.com/news/aphex-twin-sells-nft-artwork-for-128000/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Any love for James Holden or Nathan Fake out there, would put them in same category to an extent with Aphex Twin, Jon Hopkins, Four Tet and Daniel Avery etc.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I wouldn't put Aphex and Four Tet too close tbh.

happy 50th mr james

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Happy Birthday RDJ, may your next 50 years be as prolific and upending as your last.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hopefully he gives us another album as a gift for his birthday

• Advertisement

My nephew picked up this tee shirt for me in Edinburgh for Xmas. 😀 Wasn't at that particular gig but saw him that year at RockNess festival in middle of June in Scotland. The concert is uploaded with some cut and edited highlights but worth a watch.

Aphex Twin apparently playing the Arcadia stage at Glastonbury this year, will he bring the screens I wonder or Weirdcore along, will it be a live improvisational set like his previous outings or will he be just spinning records. Mad Yaker we leave it up to you to shoot the Aphex Twin at Glasto movie. :)

Haha! If he's there I'll do my best to get a photo of him but I'm not watching the whole gig through my phone! Unfortunately that's one of the stages that the BBC don't broadcast so I'm not sure there'll be a way for people to stream it as BBC own the rights to all broadcasting at the festival. Him playing is just a rumour at the moment but it came from someone who has been right in the past.

Maybe he'll stream it himself like the last two times, that would be phucking amazing.

Caught this the other night in Galway, Glasshouse Ensemble performing Aphex Twin, clips feature Xtal and We Are the Music Makers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That is brilliant, i basically missed giaf this year, thanks for the clips.

Just come across this well put together 35 minute Aphex Twin doc on YouTube, enjoy. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

• Advertisement

Interesting indeed. I had a play around with it, can't say I figured out how to use it properly but it certainly made some aphex twin styles sounds by default.

Someone upped the full set of Forbidden Fruit 2017, comprising all the clips taken by audience with the soundtrack matched for continuity. :)

He's back!!! Playing Field Day on August 19th 2023. :)

Yeah just saw that. As far as I can tell no tickets for sale yet but when they are I'm going to buy one and book a flight. I have friends in London I'll try and convince one or two to go.

Yeah, hopefully tickets are easy enough to get, seems like the reaction to this announcement across social media is lukewarm so fingers crossed I can nab one. I'm not booking a flight unless I have a ticket.

I bought a ticket a ticket and booked a flight for London. Friends have no interest in anything on the bill so I'm going on my tod but I don't care. Hopefully since he seems active he actually gets booked for Glasto this year.

looks like he might be doing festival season as there are swedish & danish gigs too

• Advertisement

The Denmark gig.

Advertisement