Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide - The Greatest Eurovision Song... EVER

• 20-05-2021 1:23pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

esc_revamp_main.jpg

In the history of the contest *68 songs written by 124 songwriters have all been crowned as winners since 1956. Saturday's final will mark the 65th Eurovision, and so - in honour of that I've decided to run a tournament to decide the greatest song ever to appear in the Eurovision!

The format is simple - all 68 winning songs will gain automatic entry into Round 1 - and we could just leave it at that and let them all fight it out for the Ultimate Eurovision winner... but where's the fun in that?

So to bring about a bit of interest in the contest, I'm going to allow you all to nominate 5 songs each that did not, but maybe should have won the contest the year they appeared.

We will then jumble them up into one big massive battle royale and the voting will commence as normal!

Just in case you're wondering about the winners - they will all be included, see the link below. So no point nominating them!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eurovision_Song_Contest_winners

Depending on the number of nominations there may be a qualifying round for non-winners.

Gonna leave this open for a week at least so get your selections in and we will run this off early next month.

Will this see the previously predicted winner walking away with the gold?

Or perhaps something different??

*There will be 68 winners after Saturday night (presuming there is no tie again like in 1969 :P )

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Nice! Question... Can songs from 2020 be included?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

cee_jay wrote:
    Nice! Question... Can songs from 2020 be included?

Yeah why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Noms in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Only one nomination needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I haven't decided myself whether to take part or not, but there is a thread on Music where links to music related threads on other forums can be added. Kolido made use of it quite a bit. It's another way of getting flesh blood!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058077672

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'm in, though a little embarrassed to say that the last time I watched it was when Norway won, with a pretty good tune iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

It will be tough to narrow it down to just five songs, I'll need to think about this

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ooh aah just a little 5 more :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I've 3 non winners picked all from within the last decade- I'm sure there are older ones that I'm not thinking of but hey.
    I will be waiting until Saturday is over before I finalise the others... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

ari101 wrote: »
    I've 3 non winners picked all from within the last decade- I'm sure there are older ones that I'm not thinking of but hey.
    I will be waiting until Saturday is over before I finalise the others... :D

And I'm in :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

With WW this week I haven't done anything to get this together yet. Gonna keep entries open for another week and possibly start it next weekend at some point. Apologies for the delay folks!

Advertisement