Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Churchtown

Options
  • 13-05-2021 6:06pm

I'm looking to move to Churchtown and the general area is near the bottle tower pub.

We are a young family and I'm trying to get a sense of what it would be like to live there.

I've walked the area a few times trying to see what it would be like and I haven't seen much happening. While I like that it is quiet and settled I am also wondering what it is like to live there in terms of a sense of community / schools / the craic. I might be living there long term and possibly purchasing a house so would like to know what I'm in for.

I can see there is no central area / focal point so I'm wondering if it is a case that the people in the area don't know eachother or mix much. I didn't see people out and about so is it a kind of area where you drive home and close your door and know nobody except possible the next door neighbours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Churchtown is a great place to live, few good pubs, schools, sports clubs, shops and cafes. Walk to the luas. The triangular green outside the shops has been extremely busy lately with people getting coffees.
    There very much is a central area though, the green with shops and cafes around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

whatnow! wrote: »
    I'm looking to move to Churchtown and the general area is near the bottle tower pub.

We are a young family and I'm trying to get a sense of what it would be like to live there.

I've walked the area a few times trying to see what it would be like and I haven't seen much happening. While I like that it is quiet and settled I am also wondering what it is like to live there in terms of a sense of community / schools / the craic. I might be living there long term and possibly purchasing a house so would like to know what I'm in for.

I can see there is no central area / focal point so I'm wondering if it is a case that the people in the area don't know eachother or mix much. I didn't see people out and about so is it a kind of area where you drive home and close your door and know nobody except possible the next door neighbours?

Former council area that has developed into a grand spot, plenty of amenities and close to likes of Enda's and Marlay Park.

Lived the other side of nutgrove and found it to be a nice place. St John's and Ballyboden football clubs, Three rock hockey club. Depending on where exactly you move into you may find a good residence group. I am sure there is much more on the dundrum side but only familiar with the side i was on.

You have Nutgrove on the Doorstep and Dundrum just down the road. While it may not look the prettiest area in parts, nothing anti social happening in my experience.

Good schools in the area, the missus went to primary on the otherside of nutgrove to the bottle tower.

As for craic, the exact bottle tower area seemed quiet enough in fairness, we always ended up around the yellow house and rathfarnham area - just by chance i suppose. The lack of a central focal point as you say beyond the shopping centre is something i noticed.

It has good transport routes, we used the 16 (wouldn't be a massive walk) and I think the 17 must run by there. Other buses to Dundrum and Luas.

All in all a nice area that will probably only improve with time. If the kids are into sport that will get you into the community vibe.

What I describe is the bottle tower area more specifically, Churchtown spreads from there to Dundrum and ballinteer - others may have more info on the wider area

salmocab wrote: »
    The triangular green outside the shops has been extremely busy lately with people getting coffees.

Is that at Treacy's SuperValu?

Is that at Treacy's SuperValu?

Yeah from there over toward elephant and castle. There’s a coffee shop beside the medical centre and it’s been hopping lately on fine days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Churchtown is a good place to live, no issues with roaming gang's or such....

Quiet area mostly, good transport with 14 and Luas not far away. 161, 61 and 17 link up to that too.

Mostly mature estates and what you see is pretty much it.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah from there over toward elephant and castle. There’s a coffee shop beside the medical centre and it’s been hopping lately on fine days.

Are there many young families in the area or is it more of an older crowd? Even on a sunny weekend I didn't see many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd say older mostly, especially with house prices, not many van afford to live there, sure houses going for 390 are now back up at 600.... Lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kav_Piero

Slightly off topic but I always liked the look of Churchtown, actually drove through it yesterday for the first time in years and got flashbacks of all the time I spent in McGowans/Rodeo Joes - what a bizarre but great venue for a night out at it’s peak (Free in before 11, €2 drinks, the podium, sawdust on the floor) still have my membership card in the draw somewhere 😂

Are there many young families in the area or is it more of an older crowd? Even on a sunny weekend I didn't see many people.

Probably mostly older although my wife runs a crèche in churchtown and they are never short of people looking for places so there are still plenty of kids. It’s an old settled area but I’d imagine most houses that are sold are bought by youngish family’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

A real mix of ages. Plenty of young families though. We were newcomers to the area but have really gotten to know people outside of our neighbours from becoming parents. It a quiet area but that is great for young families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I use Churchtown as my 'go to' area tho live two districts over. There is a full range of shops between the Nutgrove Centre and adjacant retail areas all with non metered parking. So you have Aldi/Lidl, Dunnes/Pennys, Homebase/Homestore and more, Dealz, Bookstation, Harvey Norman/Harry Corry, Boots/Lloyds chemists and healthfood stores, Specsavers and Argo, Post office, Buckleys butcher, Nichols. Then there is a nice Mcdonalds and a Costa coffee otherwise not much on food front. Better food eat in outlets near Bottle tower. Biggest plus for me is Gym with swim pool over Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Age wise it's a real mix. Down where I am intitially we were the only young family and we bought from an elderly woman. However there's a steady train of young families coming in to my immediate neighbourhood as other elderly people sell up. Still loads of retirees as well and a few renters.

I'd only really know the neighbours on my own patch. I did meet some other women when I had a baby and joined the baby groups but no one else really. Too busy with family and work to look for other social opportunities.

I tend to be quite self contained though. The other women I met on those groups seem more integrated locally than I am and only one of them was a real local. Also my kids went to school outside the area. I'd say if you've time and energy and are willing to get involved, you'll find plenty of friendly faces.

It's a nice area, but pretty quiet overall. The new shops etc up around SuperValu seem nice and have added a bit of buzz. Hope they last!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Just wanted to add - during the lock downs the place was suddenly thronged with people, we always drifted towards the Dodder walks as the kids like to wade in.

On a sunny day arriving down to the Dropping Well is practically like going to the beach! We take a short cut through the golf club to get there, it's a very pleasant walk for the middle of the city. It's a public right of way off Orwell Road and round the back of Thorncliffe Park.

Advertisement