Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No plans for Greystones recycling center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how profitable these waste streams are is debatable.
    If you have a bin service they will take aluminium, paper, cardboard and hard plastic in the green bin.
    Tesco Greystones are taking soft plastics as a trial at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

loyatemu wrote: »

How do you avail of this? Is it a case of bringing the soft plastic to the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cerco wrote: »
    How do you avail of this? Is it a case of bringing the soft plastic to the shop?

yep, they have a big bin beside the self-scan area. supposedly they are recycling it into signs etc for the stores. I thought soft plastics were very difficult to recycle but they seem to have some use for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 michael345

loyatemu wrote: »
    how profitable these waste streams are is debatable.
    If you have a bin service they will take aluminium, paper, cardboard and hard plastic in the green bin.

I didn't say those companies are profitable - just the products itself potentially - and you pay twice - once you buy the product - and second - when you pay for the private waste company to take it from your doorstep - and as far as my research goes - 80% is being burned or berried as China withdraw from collection of plastic waste since 2018 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 michael345

an update - they actually burning plastics in a center of Dublin - so you pay thrice - for the energy it produces - but the health price can be way bigger on a bigger picture

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Do you mean that instead of burying waste plastic in a hole in the ground it is used to produce electricity in a state of the art facility in Poolbeg that is independently monitored for emissions by the EPA ? This facility can also produce district heating.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement