Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art class etiquette

• 29-04-2021 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just looking for advice on a situation.

So doing an art class online currently due to you know what !
    So each week we discuss different artists and techniques and we get a challenge for the week.

Last week I and a few others missed class, but while I went ahead and did part of the challenge others did not... fair enough.

One of the other girls who produced nothing, later did an almost exact replica of my pic, like the exact same! Even using the same colours and posted it after class saying she thinks I might have inspired her...

I found this very strange ??
    Am I supposed to comment and say its good ?? I feel like saying nothing cos it just seems strange.

I had rushed mine to get it done, and I had openly said that I wasn't fully happy with it that I needed to make a change. It almost felt like she decided she could do my idea better and posted it with the supposition I "inspired" her.

I know in the art world we get inspiration from other artists all the time so maybe I am wrong to feel this way...
    Totally confused

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Is it a hobby class or is it a cert/diploma/degree?

If it's a hobby class I'd just move on, you're supposed to be doing it for enjoyment.

If it's an accredited course I'd be more annoyed as you will be critiqued against each other to a certain extent. I wouldn't be sharing my work with her until long after the submission date.

If you are using an other artists work as an inspiration it's pretty standard to clearly state this, did she do that in her submission?

I suppose take it as a compliment and be more guarded with your work in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sallyannsayso

That seems like good advice thank you !

I think protecting our creative ideas is important and the lesson I have taken from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think its common for people to try to recreate others art.
    But maybe not in a class setting, copying another student.
    Some people struggle with doing anything original, but still like art.
    Transpose it to music. You make some music and someone else learns to play it because they love it.

Maybe ask the teacher. If its not being marked, and just for "art" sake, then it doesn't really matter.

Advertisement