Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

After School Costs

Options
  • 27-04-2021 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have our eldest starting national school soon enough, and another one a few years behind. While we’re looking forward to the creche fees going down, we’re trying to figure out what after school costs are.

Can anyone give any advice on what we would expect to pay per child per hour for pick up after school and up until about 4.30/5.00? Do some schools themselves offer services? And can you do it on a 3 days per week basis? IE, grandparents do pick up on Monday and Friday, and the after school service takes care of Tuesday to Thursday? We’ve been looking around online and can’t seem to get a handle on it.

We’re looking at schools around Dublin 6, 6W and Dublin 8.

Appreciate any help at all! 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It'll be school dependent. Our school has no formal afterschool arrangement. A few kids have minders picking them up and going to the minder's home. There is a small number of places available in a preschool that provides some afterschool, but if there aren't enough people signing up for it they don't run it, and obviously only available during term time which is no good for us as working parents. Some schools will have an operation onsite, which is brilliant, but I'm not sure children would want to spend more hours in school settings after a full day of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

lazygal wrote: »
    It'll be school dependent. Our school has no formal afterschool arrangement. A few kids have minders picking them up and going to the minder's home. There is a small number of places available in a preschool that provides some afterschool, but if there aren't enough people signing up for it they don't run it, and obviously only available during term time which is no good for us as working parents. Some schools will have an operation onsite, which is brilliant, but I'm not sure children would want to spend more hours in school settings after a full day of school.

Thanks for the reply lazygal: what kind of prices are people paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The afterschool I think is €8 ph. No idea on the child minder.
    If you know which school they'll be going to you'll be able to narrow the search. It is all very adhoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Our school has no after school program. We paid 8 per hour for after school to a local child minder for term time only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

tigger123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have our eldest starting national school soon enough, and another one a few years behind. While we’re looking forward to the creche fees going down, we’re trying to figure out what after school costs are.

Can anyone give any advice on what we would expect to pay per child per hour for pick up after school and up until about 4.30/5.00? Do some schools themselves offer services? And can you do it on a 3 days per week basis? IE, grandparents do pick up on Monday and Friday, and the after school service takes care of Tuesday to Thursday? We’ve been looking around online and can’t seem to get a handle on it.

We’re looking at schools around Dublin 6, 6W and Dublin 8.

Appreciate any help at all! 😊

I presume you know what school your child is going to? If so certain after school businesses pick up at certain schools.
    Horizons pick up from schools in Terenure. You don’t have to do 5 days but I am sure how much of a saving it is tbh.
    They also have a Montesorri for younger ones.

There are two other ones in templeogue....one in faugh’s and one in judes clubhouse. They pick up but not sure what schools.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

After-school near us in North Dublin...it was 8eur per hour last year including the pick up.Maybe 9 now, not sure, but that seems to be the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I go to one in thst area. You can pick and choose days and it’s a day rate by the number of days. No discount for 5pm vs 6pm pickup though. Each month then varies slightly but it’s roughly €450 a month for four days a week. Pickup, food and activities. Pre COVID they did swimming too which was great. But obviously they only pickup from certain schools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Yeah most afterschools I know of have a set fee and it doesn't matter what time you pick up the kids after work.
    Some offer part-time days and some only offer 5 afternoons per week. Some that offer part time will insist on it being 3 consecutive days at the beginning or end of the week, so Mon-Wed or Wed-Fri.

Cheers for all the responses, it really is a big help. It doesn't seem to be like creches where you just call up and they give you a rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

tigger123 wrote: »
    Cheers for all the responses, it really is a big help. It doesn't seem to be like creches where you just call up and they give you a rate.

I would if thought the places I mentioned tell you over the phone?
    The horizons one is €500 and something per month. Can’t remember exactly could be €530/€560 not sure for 5 days. That includes full time camps for weeks off eg mid teens etc.
    I suppose your options really depends on what school your child goes to as certain after schools pick up in certain schools.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I would if thought the places I mentioned tell you over the phone?
    The horizons one is €500 and something per month. Can’t remember exactly could be €530/€560 not sure for 5 days. That includes full time camps for weeks off eg mid teens etc.
    I suppose your options really depends on what school your child goes to as certain after schools pick up in certain schools.

To be honest we're trying to figure out a workable budget for the next few years, and wanted to get a bit of a handle on what the after school costs would be.

Thank you, and thanks to everyone else. I always find the Parenting Forum to be a great help as we try to navigate all of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Madeoface

OP, we have 2 in afterschool 4 days a week; its €1,150 - Dublin prices. They pick up kids after school. Stays open til 6.30 so you can pick up any time you like up to then - they get fed too; summer camps etc. Fixed price regardless.

We had childminder when they were younger but TBH it reaches a point where they need the company of other kids. Also there is never the worry if the minder was ill or had things they needed to do that you'd have to stay off work etc. Having said that - they still miss the minder.

Advertisement