Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

College of Science/Taoiseach's Office Inscription

• 01-04-2021 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

The former College of Science building in Merrion Sq, Dublin was converted to the Dept of Taoiseach c. 1990. In old pictures of the building, and in some modern photos, an inscription is visible below the pediment which reads (approx.) "inceptum Edwardi VII ... Georgi V perfectum" which roughly translates - "begun in reign of Edward VII, completed in reign of George V".
    However in most modern photos this inscription is not visible. The building frequently appears in RTE news reports, but the inscription is never visible.

Does anyone know has the inscription been physically removed on the building? - or has it deliberately been edited out of official photos? (perhaps because some might feel such a reminder of British rule is inappropriate on Ireland's seat of government)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

The inscription is still physically present on the building and there's no way it would be edited out of photos. It's placed just under the pediment but behind the tops of the columns so I'd say it's obscured by shade during the day and by the lighting around the pillars at night. It's definitely there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭kildarejohn

Meathlass wrote: »
    The inscription is still physically present on the building and there's no way it would be edited out of photos. It's placed just under the pediment but behind the tops of the columns so I'd say it's obscured by shade during the day and by the lighting around the pillars at night. It's definitely there though.
    Good to hear inscription is still there. This is one photo with inscription missing-
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Government_Buildings%2C_Dublin.jpg
    While photo is well lit and clear, it looked as if inscription deliberately blurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I can clearly see it in that photo on either side of the pillars; I can make out the individual letters. It's a little hazier alright behind the pillars but I would put that down to shade (the back of the building is recessed in about 1.5m from the pillars). If you were going to deliberately blur the inscription I don't think you'd bother leaving it so clearly visible to the side.

Advertisement