Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CNC course in Ireland

• 11-02-2021 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi guys
    Just wondering if anyone knows where in Ireland i could do a CNC machine operator course,iv worked on manual milling machines for 25 years ,we have CNC machines in the job but trying to get trained on them is like getting blood from a stone bacause of house busy we do be.If not is there decent online ones which can help.Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Try your local Fas, or whatever the new name is for the place now. If they have enough interest and resources, they might put on the course.
    I was trying to get on one, and that was what I was told. It didn't happen in the end.
    I find people at work on the CNC machine aren't forthcoming with training others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you check the website of your local Institute's of Technology some of them tend to have various types of workshop courses.

Take LIT for example

https://lit.ie/en-ie/courses/computer-aided-manufacturing-of-materials-(cam-cnc

I'm fairly sure some of the others do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

As one poster above has said FAS probably do a part time course I know. IT sligo does an precision eng degree if you were looking to go the full hog.
    Unfortunately I think without the requisite tutelage and input from your current place of work to give you the opportunity to use the equipment and develop your skillset, doing a course in cnc would be pointless. I think on the job learning would be far superior than doing a training course as you would be familiar with the machines you would be using in every day work environment.
    Employers should be looking to develop employees at every opportunity. Shadowing an experienced machine setter for a couple of weeks and build up from there would be a better alternative I would think.

What CNC mills do you have in work.

Learning conversational programming on the mills is a big step towards CAM.
    Its so easy .
    Since you know about end mill selection, feeds & speeds you should be able to pick it up (CAM) with ease if you can use a computer.

Then get yourself fusion 360 and you can learn it at home and post some code and run it in work after hours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

dh1985 wrote: »
    As one poster above has said FAS probably do a part time course I know. IT sligo does an precision eng degree if you were looking to go the full hog.
    Unfortunately I think without the requisite tutelage and input from your current place of work to give you the opportunity to use the equipment and develop your skillset, doing a course in cnc would be pointless. I think on the job learning would be far superior than doing a training course as you would be familiar with the machines you would be using in every day work environment.
    Employers should be looking to develop employees at every opportunity. Shadowing an experienced machine setter for a couple of weeks and build up from there would be a better alternative I would think.

Totally agree with you... I worked my way up from dispatch at a factory to cnc operator.. I didn't have a clue about anything but after 3 months in house training learnt everything.. Ran a basic job on one machine then went on to running 8 machine turning out two different parts.. I hung up my thread gauge.. Calipers.. Vernier back in 2006.. But did a fas course in Waterford in 2011 but lathes where hand turning.. But i did notice as was on a forklift course just before Xmas 2020 at Waterford i see they have computerised cnc lathes.
    But agree you cant beat the knowledge of getting to know the machine you trained on then go on to run it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement