Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Type 17 wrote: »
    Looks like it's getting some love, rather than being abandoned(?)

(Reg is Bologna, Italy, if anyone is unsure)

It appears to be rhd though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

pablo128 wrote: »
    It appears to be rhd though.

Looks LHD - no dash, but lots of parts (rear seat?) in first pic; no dash, but definitely LHD steering column support in second pic; too much reflection in third pic - definitely started as LHD (but conversions aren't too complex on the (Mk2 Golf-based) Corrado).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In Felix Gormleys yard in Cavan. Very rusty underneath, but the ( red) carpet inside is surprisingly good
    It's a 200, manual gearbox.
    If you needed any bits, act sooner rather than later!

rxfxwRn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

^
    Shame it's being scraped, I would love to see it done up, great reg number too.

hi5 wrote: »
    ^

Too far gone to economically repair, you can look straight out to the ground through the left hand sill..
    Great number, I agree!

Usually they will not sell a complete car, but as there is unlikely to be an "end of life" declaration on that one ( just weighted as scrap) you'd never know... they might sell it the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

hi5 wrote: »
    ^

Such a pity you can't transfer reg numbers from car to car, like you can in the UK. You could keep a number you like, for life.

outfox wrote: »
    Such a pity you can't transfer reg numbers from car to car, like you can in the UK. You could keep a number you like, for life.

You used to be able to do that here.
    As long as you bought a new car each time.
    Cousins kept the registration number of te machine they founded their business on, and had it on a succession of VW Golfs throughout the 80's and 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Nekarsulm wrote: »

You used to be able to do that here.
    As long as you bought a new car each time.
    Cousins kept the registration number of te machine they founded their business on, and had it on a succession of VW Golfs throughout the 80's and 90's.

Well I never heard that before.
    Are you 100% sure?
    I’ve always felt that the reason it can’t be done here is pure laziness on the part of the civil servants/departments/ministers who could do it relatively easily. The will is not there.
    Too handy to stick a ZV on everything.

Are you 100% sure?
    I’ve always felt that the reason it can’t be done here is pure laziness on the part of the civil servants/departments/ministers who could do it relatively easily. The will is not there.

ZV (or year-county-serial) is all that can NOW be put on new or imported cars - up to '87, reg's were handled by local authorities (not centralised at Shannon), and were written in large paper ledgers, so re-issuing old (hopefully) unused reg's was relatively easy.

I remember seeing the best reg ever issued (appearance-wise) on an Audi 100 in the 80's: IX 1, displayed in silver on black and centre-justified as:

IXI

This was the first reg ever issued in Co. Longford, in 1904.

So much money to be made transferring pre-'87 reg's in Ireland, and I presume that the current system does allow it, so they can change the reg's on vehicles seized by CAB, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭kqcregg

Clearing old photos today and came across a few from a walk around locally back in 2016. Completely forgot I took them to put up here!

• Advertisement

Less recognisable!!

Something a little bigger...

And a mystery one........... I have the reg plate at home somewhere so must double check the model.

kqcregg wrote: »
    And a mystery one........... I have the reg plate at home somewhere so must double check the model.

Peugeot 305

Peugeot 305

Or Talbot Solara?
    First though was Montego, but rear pillar is wrong...

Are you 100% sure?

Yes, 100% sure.
    They had the registration of a Ford Fergusson tractor for years, and always on Golfs.
    Longford reg. as well.
    They sell Mitsubhisi's now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

kqcregg wrote: »
    Something a little bigger...

Got anymore pics or info on this?

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Got anymore pics or info on this?

Afraid not. Its been in the corner of a field for some time. (Same field as all the others I posted). It had a British Leyalnd badge on the front. I'll try and get over to it again this weekend and see if its still there. If it is I'll post some more pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Or Talbot Solara?
    First though was Montego, but rear pillar is wrong...

Solara had vertical segments on lights.

I'd say it's the Peugeot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

A beetle resting up in what I am told was a crash repair shop.

NBvREmH.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

NBvREmH.jpg

Calling kadman.

Looking at the unusual wheels and the colour, that might be a LHD Beetle that was imported from California in the late 70's by a guy relocating to Ireland - his son was in my class at school. Or it could be a coincidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Looking at the unusual wheels

They were available on a 'Celebration' edition so they were just added somewhere along the way! I had a set here for ages but sold them on. Still have a set of twin port cylinder heads in the shed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

w124man wrote: »
    They were available on a 'Celebration' edition so they were just added somewhere along the way! I had a set here for ages but sold them on. Still have a set of twin port cylinder heads in the shed

Are the twin port heads good??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

kadman wrote: »
    Are the twin port heads good??

Yes they are. I had them bead blasted years ago in preparation for a FVW race engine but I never used them. No valves etc. They came off a Type 3 fastback that was stored in a shed in Sligo for years after a crash. If you are interested send me a PM

I'm not up on my Mercedes. A 123 series?

LZdSmnJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Yup, a 230e I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

NBvREmH.jpg

is that Beetle in Dundrum , Co.Tipperary ?

davycha wrote: »
    is that Beetle in Dundrum , Co.Tipperary ?

It is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

It is.

Partly guessed as much , that Beetle is there for at least 15 years , I often pass it and wonder what's its history , its definitely been stored in a good dry space.
    I must try to find out more about it .

Advertisement