Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Museum of Time Waterford

• 14-06-2021 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

I'm on a staycation at the moment and was walking round Waterford city last Friday when I came across this new museum. The door was open but the receptionist said it wasn't officially open till today so I couldn't walk round it.
    Was only able to glance in through the door.

I see it got some coverage in Saturday's Irish Times. Looks interesting with a good collection of Irish clocks and watches. Must go and have a proper look in July.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Looks interesting alright. I actually just moved to Waterford so will try to check it out over the next couple of weeks and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Completely forgot about it , remember first hearing about it last year during the talk by Damian Duggan at Engineers Ireland.

Looking forward to taking a trip to see it when it opens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Open from 11 until 4pm and 50 euro per person. Sounds like it will be a roaring success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

It's a fiver entry, seems standard for any exhibition that kills an hour or so.

https://www.waterfordtreasures.com/visitor-information/opening-times-and-prices

I'll probably go over the summer at some point. See what else is around Waterford to fill a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Website seems to have circular links and links from one museums details to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well at a fiver, I'll certainly pay a visit over the summer.
    At fifty? I'd save for another watch :P

Great to see something different open for tourism and I hope it Garner's enough support to be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

njburke wrote: »
    It's a fiver entry, seems standard for any exhibition that kills an hour or so.

https://www.waterfordtreasures.com/visitor-information/opening-times-and-prices

I'll probably go over the summer at some point. See what else is around Waterford to fill a day.

There's a 'Silver Museum ' beside it that's newly opened also, wasn't inside but presumably has exhibits of Irish silver.I

Visited the small museum in Dungarvan earlier today which had a couple of old bicycles and an interesting bit about a local who imported one of the first pedal cycles to Ireland. :-)

I've now moved on to Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Visited the small museum in Dungarvan earlier today which had a couple of old bicycles and an interesting bit about a local who imported one of the first pedal cycles to Ireland. :-)

I've now moved on to Cork City.

Did you cycle to Dungarvan via the greenway or copper Coast?

redlead wrote: »
    Did you cycle to Dungarvan via the greenway or copper Coast?

No I'm with my wife travelling by car although I do have my folding bike in the boot and did a bit of the greenway on Saturday. Not my first time doing it as myself and a friend did the Waterford-Dungarvan-Waterford cycle a few years ago. My wife did the few kms from the Railway Cottage cafe into Dungarvan, so we've both been on the bike.

• Advertisement

Booked a night in Waterford on Monday to go and see what the museum is like as perfect timing for it to open as I have a week off next week :)

Will post up some pictures of the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 32,904 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NIMAN wrote: »

The collector David Boles mentioned in the article is, I believe, my local pharmacist in Drumcondra. Will confirm this the next time I call in which at my age will be pretty soon. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,904 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Irish Times website actually has a short video piece as well

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/new-museum-of-time-opens-in-waterford-1.4585640

Currently in Waterford and visited the museum yesterday. As mentioned it is €5 entry or can buy a Freedom of Waterford ticket for €15 to include the other museums in the area,Medieval Museum,Bishop’s Palace Museum,Irish Silver Museum.

Really enjoyed it, despite not having much knowledge on clocks. Very interesting having the museum in an old church. Was surprised just how many clocks and watches were made in Ireland, along with the craftsmanship of both the movements, along with the cases.

At the moment due to restrictions, there are no group tours, they are hoping over the next few weeks to have tours when restrictions lift more. I got talking with Donnchadh O Ceallachain, part of Waterford Treasures,who showed me some of the clocks.

Very friendly staff, great to see so many other people with the same interest. Definitely worth the visit.

hF2nYjF.jpeg

7dbkptp.jpeg

5MWUPRD.jpeg

9SdL3nz.jpeg

zH0f4IH.jpeg

wX2eQqC.jpeg

NmDuBkN.jpeg

NTISJhh.jpeg

eo68KQL.jpeg

TAVyKLF.jpeg

5IL4kOA.jpeg

7NOFMq7.jpeg

VzSwsON.jpeg

I1pTHd1.jpeg

JB7Pr7f.jpeg

More Pictures
    Part 1 [Link]
    Part 2 [Link]
    Part 3 [Link]
    Part 4 [Link]
    Part 5 [Link]
    Part 6 [Link]
    Part 7 [Link]
    Part 8 [Link]
    Part 9 [Link]

Checked with my local chemist Boles Pharmacy Drumcondra and he confirms he is the 'David Boles' that's one of the collectors connected with the museum. When I told him that they didn't let me in because it wasn't officially open when I called in he said I should have mentioned his name but unfortunately it was only afterwards that I made the connection.

Apparently you're supposed to book online due to restrictions on the numbers allowed but chances are if you turn up you will get in and he said to say I was a friend of his if I had any problem. :)

He says to get the €15 inclusive ticket and go view the other museums in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭bullpost

Checked with my local chemist Boles Pharmacy Drumcondra and he confirms he is the 'David Boles' that's one of the collectors connected with the museum. When I told him that they didn't let me in because it wasn't officially open when I called in he said I should have mentioned his name but unfortunately it was only afterwards that I made the connection.

Apparently you're supposed to book online due to restrictions on the numbers allowed but chances are if you turn up you will get in and he said to say I was a friend of his if I had any problem. :)

He says to get the €15 inclusive ticket and go view the other museums in Waterford.

Medieval museum is well worth a visit so €15 not bad value.

e.g https://www.waterfordtreasures.com/medieval-museum/whats-inside/the-great-charter-roll-of-waterford

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

David Boles has a lot of new online 'friends' now:D.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Great to see Sidereus Watches there - Bryan makes his own cases here in Ireland and is a lovely guy from speaking to him.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Great to see Sidereus Watches there - Bryan makes his own cases here in Ireland and is a lovely guy from speaking to him.

Is the siderus guy a McGonigle too?
    Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Is the siderus guy a McGonigle too?
    Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Nope there are two McGonigles I believe - one doing McGonigle watches and the other making Oilean watches (refinished Swiss movements and very cool too).

Nope there are two McGonigles I believe - one doing McGonigle watches and the other making Oilean watches (refinished Swiss movements and very cool too).

I knew there was a 2nd doing watches via Ireland IIRC?
    Just had siderus linked with the 2nd 1 for some reason.
    Both Oilean and Siderus are great iterations tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I'm off to Waterford this weekend, so will book ahead - I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Slightly OT but has anyone here either present or past ever owned a McGonigle? Or even handled one for that matter?

I quite like the Oilean, reminds me of the zenith defy.

Didn't he come to a boards meetup at some point? Brought a tourbillon with him? All second hand information though.

Time wrote: »
    Slightly OT but has anyone here either present or past ever owned a McGonigle? Or even handled one for that matter?

I quite like the Oilean, reminds me of the zenith defy.

I have looked at them a number of times, difficult get information on the watches online not many floating around. The Oilean looks kinda cool alright but from what I can gather they are €24k on a heavily modified Valjoux base, 14.4mm thick. Thats a big boy for a dress type watch. I cannot seem to find any video of the watch. Esoteric is the word that springs to mind the most, although they do tickle my fancy but not enough for the struggle of getting information. There was a bit in the Times a few years ago where one of the brothers was harping on about how many emails he had to answer, so kinda put me off bothering him for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What's with the "Newgrange" watches. Is that a marque now? Do they sell them there?

fat bloke wrote: »
    What's with the "Newgrange" watches. Is that a marque now? Do they sell them there?

They are a range of watches from Siderus, another Irish microbrand. They operate in the €2-4k bracket using modified Sellita movements. Have contemporary designs, funky case shapes and some nice dials. Assume they tell the time more than once a year ;) Nowhere near the level of watchmaking of McGonigle and they lean heavily on celtic heritage.

Again minimal online presence

https://sidereus.com/sidereus/newgrange/

Did a day-trip to Waterford today to see the Irish Museum of Time. First time getting to view the exhibits.

IrishPlayer already has covered it from the pictorial angle so I will just post this photo from the adjacent Silver Museum.

Both highly recommended for anyone who hasn't been yet.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Talking with Karl Fitzmaurice today I learned about the Waterford International Festival of Time taking place at the Irish Museum of Time from Friday May 20th to the 22nd, more details: https://www.hotelandrestauranttimes.ie/2022/04/19/inaugural-waterford-international-festival-of-time-announced-for-may-22/

Planning on going myself for the weekend so happy to meet up with anyone else going

Advertisement