Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

• 13-12-2020 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

This is the official Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread

Any posts that should be in the race weekend threads that are posted in here will get deleted without warning
    Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

So is the only seat we are now waiting on confirmation for, the Albon seat and whether he keeps it or Perez gets it?

Mercedes - Hamilton & Bottas
    Red Bull - Verstappen & Albon/Perez
    McLaren - Norris & Ricciardo
    Aston Martin - Stroll & Vettel
    Renault - Alonso & Ocon
    Ferrari - Leclerc & Sainz
    Alpha Tauri - Gasly & Tsunoda
    Haas - Schumacher & Mazepin
    Alfa Romeo - Raikkonen & Giovinazzi
    Williams - Russel & Latifi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yup, although Hamilton still isn't officially signed but we know he will be there. Kvyat and Gasly atleast got their seats back at toro rosso/alpha tauri when they got demoted which means albon could be cut completely loose if perez takes his seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Harika wrote: »

Possibly the worst kept secret since Mansell to McLaren

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Talk is that Albon will be kept on as reserve and test driver. Given the limited evolution in regs for 2021, Perez comparisons should be handy enough for them to decide for 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Nice to see a Japanese driver on the grid again but you have to feel sorry for Alex Albon. I think in any other car on the grid even the William's and he would still be there but because the Red Bull is such a handful that only Max can master he will be reduced to a Reserve driver. I suppose that's better than been gone totally but still hard for him

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think Schumacher and Mazepin are in for a tough test. Nobody is likely to look good in that Haas. And I don’t expect the Haas to improve much over the winter. Ferrari have said they’re building a new engine so hopefully that will be competitive with the Mercedes.

I’d imagine Ferrari started building the new engine when the writing was on the wall for the old engine during last season. They probably knew they wouldn’t get away with the old engine trickery once it came under close scrutiny so hopefully they started work on a new engine early.

But the Haas car rarely develops much over the season and has been going backwards since it’s introduction to the sport. Watching drive to survive the other day and it was amazing to see Haas and Renault fighting with each other for points at lots of races. Haas finished clear 5th in constructors that year. It’s been a horror show since then when you look at the likes of Mclaren, Renault, racing point, Alpha Tauri who all finished well behind Haas that year and have really developed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Mick's situation looks a lot like Russell at Williams. Even if he demolishes Mazepin, so what, sure he's only the second coming of Lavaggi/Deletraz/Rosset/[insert scrub here].

Mick's situation looks a lot like Russell at Williams. Even if he demolishes Mazepin, so what, sure he's only the second coming of Lavaggi/Deletraz/Rosset/[insert scrub here].

Ah no. Russell’s has been regarded as a talent as a result of demolishing his teammates. I know his legend has grown since two weeks ago, but the only way to be recognised in the Williams is to demolish the teammate. The car is crap so if they’re competitive with each other then neither will stand out at all (like KMag and RoGro). Two average drivers in a good car, look good (like Stroll and Perez).

I think the only way for Schumacher to stand out is to soundly beat his teammate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I just hope Mick trashes Marzipan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

In F2 Mick didn't outshine mazepin.
    My surprise 2019 was Tsunoda whom I expect to perform well 2020. Happy to see him promoted so quickly and he stormed through the ranks like Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

F1 to remain at Interlagos until 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The F1 2020 game is on "PS now" so I gave the Vietnam track a spin. Basically it's just a long Formula E track. Looks worse then the Putin drome.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

flazio wrote: »
    The F1 2020 game is on "PS now" so I gave the Vietnam track a spin. Basically it's just a long Formula E track. Looks worse then the Putin drome.

It's been canned anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

So Toto is staying on as team principal ... Lewis will sign as well I guess

weisses wrote: »
    So Toto is staying on as team principal ... Lewis will sign as well I guess

That’s great for Mercedes but we need Mercedes to lose some of its top staff to stop them out performing everyone again.

That’s great for Mercedes but we need Mercedes to lose some of its top staff to stop them out performing everyone again.

It's not the top staff who have them at the top, it's the ones that hardly any of us have heard of. Aside from the political side but they can get their way and **** off and leave the advantage baked in for 5/6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-news/fia-develops-100-sustainable-biofuel-formula-1#comment-342111

Aim is to be using 100 per cent sustainable fuel in F1 by 2026. From next year it is 10 per cent to be used by each team.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

weisses wrote: »

Autosport reporting the same. Huge call for Red Bull and a bit of a f*ck you to their young driver programme, but absolutely the right choice if true.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/154273/perez-poised-to-replace-albon-at-red-bull-for-2021

Wonder how Max will take it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

People saying Red Bull are ruthless for releasing Albon of the seat, but c'mon

You have a number 2 driver in the Red Bull, who has had literally a handful of top four finishes in the last year and a half, and in a lot of other races should have had a result but didn't.

And on the other side, you have 16 top fours and 3 wins for Max, against the GOAT car the sport has ever seen.

I think going forward at least to have any chance of beating Mercedes next year, Red Bull need to be ruthless with their driver selection. And certainly Perez is a better option than Albon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Now imagine it was Pierre Gasly in this situation with no Alpha Tauri Rosso seat to fall back to.

flazio wrote: »
    Now imagine it was Pierre Gasly in this situation with no Alpha Tauri Rosso seat to fall back to.

Tough luck ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Albon has shown he is not competitive in the car. Perez is a better consistent option in terms of points scoring and tire management.

I can't wait to see Alonso back in a car again. Himself and Kimi are my two favorite drivers so it will be good to see at least one of them in a competitive car again.

ro_chez wrote: »
    People saying Red Bull are ruthless for releasing Albon of the seat, but c'mon

You have a number 2 driver in the Red Bull, who has had literally a handful of top four finishes in the last year and a half, and in a lot of other races should have had a result but didn't.

And on the other side, you have 16 top fours and 3 wins for Max, against the GOAT car the sport has ever seen.

I think going forward at least to have any chance of beating Mercedes next year, Red Bull need to be ruthless with their driver selection. And certainly Perez is a better option than Albon.

I think they’re ruthless but they are also confused about that they want. If the unwanted very good drivers, the they had a very good driver as a teammate to max in Ric, but they made it clear to him he was no.2. So they seem to want an above average no2 driver but not a top driver who might upset Max and that’s why Perez makes sense but it’s probably been the best argument for Albon too.

Perez is grand and around average. He will be better then Albon, but not that much better than Albon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

Perez confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Gonna be really interesting to see how Checo stacks up against Max next year, will really be a chance to gauge them both, also if Checo performs better than Albon and consistently inserts himself into the battle for the top 4 in the race as well as qualifying it will really open lots of tactical doors for RB which have all been firmly closed with a poorly performing Albon at the helm of the 2nd RB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement