Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beakerjoe vs The Walrus - THE REVEAL!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

beakerjoe wrote: »
    6th place, winning 14 points in the process, is.....

Mylene Farmer - California , submitted by
    Irish Aris

Have I listened to this artist before? No
    Have I listened to this song before? No

A beautiful track, well paced with soft, delicate vocals. Its very smooth to listen to and the accompanying video is captivating to say the least. Very impressed with this unknown to me artist.

Overall its a nice combo to artistic imagery, interesting story and an easy to listen to sound. Nice choice.

Glad you liked it beakerjoe.
    Fun fact: the video was directed by American director Abel Ferrara, who in the 90s worked extensively with Christopher Walken and Harvey Keitel - the latter was very impressive in Bad Lieutenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

15 points goes to 5th place, and it that spot is,

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Last dance with Mary Jane, submitted by
    the purple tin

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes

Now I can get on board with this, its got a nice melody, smooth riffs and a good chorus. How have I never heard this before. It transitions nicely and is anything but a choir to listen to, especially as the guitar solo kicks in at the end. (why did it end there ?)

The video doesn't suit it at all though in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the video, it is just not what I expected and it didn't enhance it for me.

osh wrote: »
    I changed to this one beaker, no matter

God Osh, I have done you a disservice here.

I worked off your original list and forgot about your update.

All i can say is thats on me, my bad. I am a fan of Star Guitar, would be believe I never saw the video. I am a big CB fan. It probably would have ranked higher than your previous entry, not too much though.

I still did you wrong and all I can do now is apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

15 points goes to 5th place, and it that spot is,

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Last dance with Mary Jane, submitted by
    the purple tin

Now I can get on board with this, its got a nice melody, smooth riffs and a good chorus. How have I never heard this before. It transitions nicely and is anything but a choir to listen to, especially as the guitar solo kicks in at the end. (why did it end there ?)

The video doesn't suit it at all though in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the video, it is just not what I expected and it didn't enhance it for me.

ah, excellent choice, purple tin.
    A great song - and Kim Basinger looks stunning in the video!!

In at 16th place, notching up 5 Points is

Gotye - Someone I used to know, submitted by
    Fixxxer

Have I listened to this song before? Yes

Man this is a good song I liked it way back when, but the fact it was so overplayed did it huge damage. I got sick of it years ago, but I did initially like it. But sadly for fixxxer, my ears aren't fond of it now.

The video suits it well, simple yet visually pleasing but it cant make up for the damage done years before your submission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

God Osh, I have done you a disservice here.

I worked off your original list and forgot about your update.

All i can say is thats on me, my bad. I am a fan of Star Guitar, would be believe I never saw the video. I am a big CB fan. It probably would have ranked higher than your previous entry, not too much though.

I still did you wrong and all I can do now is apologies.

No worries at all man, at least you've now seen the video :D

It's pretty cool, all the things in the scenery are lined up to match the beats of the music

In at 4th position, gaining 16 points, is.....

See you again - Wiz Khailifa and Charlie Puth submitted by
    JP Liz V1

Ah this song gets me every time. A wonderful blend of rap and beautiful vocals, swirled together with a subtle piano melody. I really enjoy this track and the video and the circumstances around it will always play on my emotions.

Im a fan of the movies and while they are mindless fun, you get an emotional connection to the characters, thanks to the chemistry between the cast. It makes the video here very sad and I cant not appreciate it.

(wipes tears) A good choice Liz.

The sinister six for this round are as follows:

Necro
    Mustang Shelly
    JohnGreenFan
    S1ippy
    Electric Nitwit
    Arghus

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Here I Go Again On My Own...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »

;)
    You're never alone in Forum Games, Necro :)

...unless you're last

• Advertisement

In at 17th place, collection 3 points is.....

Everything Everything - Photoshop Handsome ”, submitted by
    S!ippy

Really like the video, it's quirky in all the right places.

However the song, while nothing really wrong with it, doesn't grab me and doesnt appeal to me. It's a bit bland for me. I don't mind listening to it but the song doesn't grab me back the brain and march me back to the play button.

Sorry S!ippy

Necro wrote: »

;)

No one entered Whitesnake did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

In at 16th place, notching up 5 Points is

Gotye - Someone I used to know, submitted by
    Fixxxer

The video suits it well, simple yet visually pleasing but it cant make up for the damage done years before your submission.

I read that as " the damage to your ears caused by my submission" and though I get that a lot.

3rd spot, and a handy 17 points to...

Fatboy Slim - Weapon of choice, submitted by
    Electric Nitwit

Have I listened to this song before? Yep

Ah a fine unconventional dance track but one I fully expected to see considering the iconic video. Very catchy, very easy to groove to - as Git Walkin can attest to - and a wonderful video.

Whats not to like here. Its easy on the ears and the video is a splendid triumph, which 100 percent enhances the track. Like who can't love Gitser Walkin after this.

I just love it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote:
    No one entered Whitesnake did they?

I don't *think* so...

While I like the song I'm not sure the video would be worth a whirl.

Then again depending on the next few mins it might fare better than my own choice :pac:

3rd spot, and a handy 17 points to...

Fatboy Slim - Weapon of choice, submitted by
    Electric Nitwit

I just love it.
    tenor.gif

It's a clichéd answer but sometimes you have to :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The sinister six for this round are as follows:

Necro
    Mustang Shelly
    JohnGreenFan
    S1ippy
    Electric Nitwit
    Arghus

Uh oh!!!

In at 18th place, 2 points goes to

Happier - Marshmello vs Bastille , submitted by
    JohnGreenFan

Bastille are in the same category as Imagine Dragons and George Ezra for me. You either like the lead singers voice or not, and most songs sound too similar for my liking.

But while I am not a Bastille fan, I don't hate this song as much as the place suggests. Its an not to hard to listen, but its not easy either.

It suffers from being to similar to other such pop songs and is a bit generic for the modern day. Its very forgettable. The booming hook is very bland and wouldn't go amiss in a pandering Coke advert.

But I wont be over critical (too late perhaps), its not woeful, its just far from anything I could care for.

The video …..wellllll. Plus 1000 for the cute doggy. The direction and acting in the video is awful IMO, but it does give you the feels. Minus 50 for the sad ending (just kidding.....looks at placing.....maybe not kidding).

annaxxxix wrote: »
    hello))
    my hot photos are here))
    ---} chatie.club/xxx
    username anna1
    Only 18+

Sorry lads, Walrus has been trumped.

On my way Anna

Almost at the end of the round, 2nd place and 18 points goes to....

My Indigo - My Indigo submitted by
    Mustang Shelly

Have I listened to this artist before? No

So good they named it twice? We shall see.

The vocals are beautiful, soft yet powerful and with a great range. Nice bit of kick when it hits the chorus. A very easy listen. Like any good track, it makes you want to revisit it.

The video is a nice tale, though reminds me of the Netflix series, The Stranger. (What a ****e ending) nothing mindblowing. While it doesn't enhance the song much, it accompanies it well.

An excellent song which places high despite the video.

• Advertisement

Almost at the end of the round, 2nd place and 18 points goes to....

My Indigo - My Indigo submitted by
    Mustang Shelly

For anyone thinking that her voice sounds familiar, you would be correct. My Indigo is no other than Sharon den Adel from Within Temptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

In at 18th place, 2 points goes to

Happier - Marshmello vs Bastille , submitted by
    JohnGreenFan

Bastille are in the same category as Imagine Dragons and George Ezra for me. You either like the lead singers voice or not, and most songs sound too similar for my liking.

But while I am not a Bastille fan, I don't hate this song as much as the place suggests. Its an not to hard to listen, but its not easy either.

It suffers from being to similar to other such pop songs and is a bit generic for the modern day. Its very forgettable. The booming hook is very bland and wouldn't go amiss in a pandering Coke advert.

But I wont be over critical (too late perhaps), its not woeful, its just far from anything I could care for.

The video …..wellllll. Plus 1000 for the cute doggy. The direction and acting in the video is awful IMO, but it does give you the feels. Minus 50 for the sad ending (just kidding.....looks at placing.....maybe not kidding).

is there no walrus that will appreciate my love of cheesey generic pop???

last place and 1 point goes to.....

All star by Smashmouth, submitted by
    Necro

Have I listened to this song before? Sadly, Yes

In the last round you were unfortunate to place so low, this round however is all your own making.

You chose a song that if I ever hear it again, it would be too soon. Not a fan of Smashmouth, never have been. This track in particular grates on me to no end. Sorry dude, you picked a stinker.

The video is typical late 90's fare, nothing to make me watch the movie, or listen to the song.

If there was one it would probably would be me. This just didnt hit the my buttons sadly. My spotify is full of shameful pop songs and dance tunes.

Also with Necro, I feel he has a similar style to mine in terms of pop songs, he just chose the one or two songs so far that do not mesh with my taste.

This rounds pod boss, claiming 19 points in commissary, in first place it is......

Radiohead - Just, submitted by
    Arghus

Never been big into Radiohead, so not hopeful initially. Creep aside, any Radiohead track I heard just didn't work for me, such as Karma Police or No surprises.

But Im happy to say I bloody love this one. Its got energy, its got me nodding my head like a dog and I cant say much wrong about it from my first listen. Its got a strong replay factor and I love the song even more on repeated listens. . Its just so damn good and I'm pleasantly surprised.

The video…. Ahead of its time perhaps. Simple, but completely captivating. Suddenly you want to know whats happening just as much as the bystanders. Excellent. Very clever and very enjoyable.

Top dog

Necro

I would have to strongly disagree with you here :p This is a class song and so fun. Sure it was in Shrek and all :D

I would have to strongly disagree with you here :p This is a class song and so fun. Sure it was in Shrek and all :D

Hey the beauty of Walrus.

I just never liked it. I love Shrek, but hearing the band over the soundtrack so much destroyed me.

Ruining Im a Believer too.

Ah, classic!
    Delighted to see that win, I remember loving that video back in the day and still love that song too this day. Great choice Arghus :)

Oh... and I like Smashmouth too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Necro

It's BEAUTIFUL :pac:

• Advertisement

It's cool we can have a titanic battle to the death over the wooden spoon JGF ;)

Advertisement