Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walrus - phatkev - The Reveal

• 13-06-2020 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭

Hi, and welcome to my reveal thread. We have 18 contestants involved in this one and I’m looking forward to getting stuck into the selections

I’ll reveal each category as I listed them in the sign up thread and I up to start the first one on Wednesday or Thursday.

I had one song selected for each category before I got any entries and one entry has matched one of those choices! Also super glad I went with Teenage Angst category, there’s some absolute chooons in there, a lot of nu metal!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Starting now??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

fixXxer wrote: »
    Starting now??? :D

Ah Jaysus, give me a chance:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,628 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

phatkev wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus, give me a chance:pac:
    Now? It's been two hours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,790 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Now? It's been two hours :pac:

So now :p

I've the first round marked up and ready to, I'll get it started tomorrow evening around 7:30 or 8

• Advertisement

Right, going to get this going in the next bit, I'll be starting with the place name/geographical feature round. Some very interesting tracks in the list, definitely some bands I'll be looking into int he future. I'm going to leave the bottom and top 3 until last, I've put some of the notes I jotted down with each track, but I was too lazy to flesh it out and use proper English but I hope ye will get the general gist of it.

Entrants:

JP Liz V1
    Homer J. Fong
    Sawduck
    Also Starring LaVar Burton
    CJ Maxx
    The Purple Tin
    Gru
    Irish Aris
    ShaneU
    Osh
    Lassykk
    y0ssae1an22
    Mustang Shelly
    S1ippy
    Rothko
    Fixxxer
    Barney92
    Electric Nitwit

giphy.gif

In 15th place we have Life in Tokyo by Japan, submitted by
    Irish Aris

Have I heard the band/Artist: No

Have I heard the song: No

Thoughts: Being honest, I’ve never been a huge fan of the New Wave genre. Liked the sweeping synth sound at the start of it, but got repetitive pretty quickly. Not a massive fan of the Vocals and the chorus was a little underwhelming. Bridge is interesting, but not enough to move it any further up the list

Score: 5.8

In 14th place, Malibu by Hole, submitted by
    Lassykk

Have I heard the band/Artist: Yes

Have I heard the song: Yes

Thoughts: The absolute whack off 90’s of this one! Sorry Lassy but Courtney Loves voice really grates on me. Apart from that its a decent tune, but it kind of turns to background music after the first listen

Score: 6.1

Thoughts: The absolute whack off 90’s of this one!
    I hope you're saying that as a good thing based on what I entered!

• Advertisement

In 13th place - Land of 1000 Dances by Wilson Pickett, submitted by
    ShaneU

Thoughts: Had high hopes for this one until the Na Na Na’s came in, I cant put into words how much this put me of the song. Wilson as some set of lungs on him, some very nice funk/soul screams. I might have a different view on this after a few jars, I reckon I’d definitely find my way to the dance floor for it! The energy and vocals are great, but it’s a no on the na na na bit

Score: 6.6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

The absolute whack off 90’s of this one!

Oh I'm in trouble if you don't like the 90s!!!!

In 12th place we have Rainy Night in Soho by Ronnie Drew, submitted by
    S1ippy

Have I heard the song: Not this version

Thoughts: OK I’m going to keep this one short because Ronnie Drew is a legend and I don’t want to be disrespecting him, BUT…..A Rainy Night in Soho is one of my absolute favourite songs and I just can get behind this version of it. I don’t think Drew’s voice suites this song, I also wouldn’t be a fan of the guitar/piano going through it, there’s just something a bit off sounding about it. Damien Dempsey’s verse is nice addition.
    Score: 6.7

In 11th place we have Jackson by Johnny Cash and June Carter , submitted by
    JP Liz V1

Thoughts: Never been a fan of Johnny Cash and in my opinion June Carter saves this song. Love her attitude and the way she belts out those first words on each line. Nice upbeat tempo that immediately has my foot tapping

Score:6.9

In 10th place we have Corsican by The Antlers, submitted by
    Homer J. Fong

Thoughts: So prior to listening to this one I’d never heard of the Antlers or this song, but as soon as the first notes hit I had the feeling I’d heard it somewhere before. After doing a bit of digging it turns out I went to see their lead singer perform in the Unitarian church in Dublin.
    I think this was the hardest song to mark, I really wasn’t into the first listen, then second time around it grew on me, I listened to it again after that and I was back to not really being a fan of it. Its definitely an emotionally song and you can clearly hear that from the vocalist, but I was waiting for the song to move up a notch and it just never came.

Score:7.3

In 9th place - Georgia On My Mind by Ray Charles, submitted by
    The Purple Tin

Thoughts: Straight off the bat I’ve never liked the Intro to this song, and its one of those ones I cant explain. Charles voice really is iconic, silky smooth.
    Backing Harmonies/melodies are unreal.
    A classic song but its not going to break into the top of the list this time around

Score: 7.6

In 8th place we have Moskau by Rammstein, submitted by
    FixXxer

Have I heard the band: Yes

Thoughts: Rammstein are a band I’ve always been kinda into, but wouldn’t know there whole back catalogue. Seen them live a couple of years ago and was absolutely blown away by their performance.
    This is exactly the type of sound I think of when I think of a Rammstein song, Like the female vocals that accompany throughout, also love the pipe sounding synth that makes an appearance around 2:10. Tends to get slightly repetitive.

Score:7.6

In 7th place we have Knights of Cydonia by Muse, submitted by
    Gru

Thoughts: Muse are a band that I would have been massively into about a decade ago, It’s a long time since I’ve listened to anything by them and this still sounds very current. The Intro is great and the guitar has a lovely tone. The Brass adds a nice element to it. Don’t like the ohhs that start around 1:45, could have done without them, drum fills are excellent. Love the build-up starting around 3:45. The song clocks in at over 6 minutes, I felt it was a little repetitive towards the end

Score:7.7

In 6th place - I set my face to the Hillside by Tortoise, submitted by
    Osh

Thoughts: I’ll be very interested in this going by the intro. Love the slow build and how they keep adding in different little details throughout the song. While I mentioned that the Muse song was a bit long at 6 minutes, I could nearly keep listening to this for longer than its 6:09 runtime.
    Anytime a xylophone is added to a song I’m on board! The song has the feel of a great group of musicians just jamming out and I really enjoy that dynamic. Definitely a band I’ll look further into.

Score:7.9

Wow, haven't heard any Tortoise for a long time!
    Lovely choice osh, clever fit to the category too

• Advertisement

In 5th place we have Jacksonville Skyline by Whiskytown , submitted by
    Rothko

Have I heard the band/Artist: I know Ryan Adams, never listened to Whiskytown though

Thoughts: Adams is an amazing song writer and I’ve always enjoyed listening to his stuff, “Oh My Sweet Carolina” is one of my absolute favourite song, it’s a pity he turned out to be an A grade scumbag! But this is a song contest and I’m going to judge it that way.
    Big fan of this alt-country sound.
    I cant reiterate how well written this song is, it bounced around between 3 and 5, I enjoyed the ones ahead of it that little bit more, but that could easily change if I were to listen to them a week from now

Score:8

In 4th - The Rains of Castamere by Serj Tankian/Ramin Djawadi, submitted by
    y0ssae1an22

Have I heard the song: Don’t think I’ve heard this version of it

Thoughts: Serj Tankian is unreal, he really can put his voice to any type of music and still sound brilliant. This is all very cinematic, which I suppose is to be expected giving its from a TV show.
    Love the build ups, especially around 2:45. The choir is also an excellent addition, really adds to that haunting feeling that goes through the song.
    Shout out to Ramin Djawadi who arranged this particular version of the song, excellent job all around

Score:8.2

So that leaves us with 6 entries left, I'm going to break the bad news first and then I'll run through the podium places

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Always so nervous when it's at Top 3 and Bottom 3 and your song hasn't appeared yet...

giphy.gif

So I'm in the top or bottom 3...

tumblr_pqkrgrCicI1w4fcdu_540.gif

In 16th place - Arlandria by The Foo Fighters, submitted by
    Also Starring LaVar Burton

Thoughts: this is one of those it’s not you Dave, it’s me moments! The Foos are a band I could never get into no matter how hard I’ve tried. I respect that they’ve got a massive following and they churn out hit after hit and they put on amazing live performances, but I just find them a bit the same. I’ve never listened to this track , yet I feel like I’ve heard it 100 time before.

Score: 5.4

Always so nervous when it's at Top 3 and Bottom 3 and your song hasn't appeared yet...

giphy.gif

Sorry:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Glad you liked my entry. That album TNT is one of their best and a good introduction. Wasn't sure how it would go down!

• Advertisement

In 17th place - Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond by Ella Roberts, submitted by
    Barney92

Thoughts: Another one I wouldn’t be a huge fan of, don’t hate it by any means but its just not the type of song/vocal I enjoy listening to. The singer seems to have a really odd accent on certain phrases and it’s a bit off putting. I don’t know if this is just the version I’m listening to but the Vocals seem to get a bit muddled in the rest of the music and for an artist that seems to be primarily about her vocals it seems like an odd decision. NOTE, I listened to other version by the same artist and this issue seems to be in those as well. Sorry Ella, you’re just not for me

Score: 5.1

Advertisement