Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Unionists/Loyalists Irish?

• 18-08-2013 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭

I'm not talking about the very rare 'lesser spotted' southern Unionist here - I'm on about those that live across the imaginary line in the 6 counties.

What say ye?

Are Unionists/Loyalists Irish? 9 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    66% 6 votes
    Atari orange chocolate sponge cake.
    33% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a real line, or that's what the speed limit signs tell me. Not to mention the health and education standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

No, British - because that's how they identify themselves. A small few consider themselves Irish also, which is cool if that's what they identify themselves as.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'm not talking about the very rare 'lesser spotted' southern Unionist here - I'm on about those that live across the imaginary line in the 6 counties.

What say ye?

Seeing as they consider themselves British, I'll go with that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

mike65 wrote: »
    Its a real line, or that's what the speed limit signs tell me.

Could you get a picture of it for me from google earth because I can't seem to locate it.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Northern Irish but if they want to consider themselves British or Irish it's up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

What say ye?

No Cathal ,they,re actually French .

mattjack wrote: »
    No Cathal ,they,re actually French .

So they're not Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Its a real line, or that's what the speed limit signs tell me. Not too mention the health and education standards.

No, it's an imaginary line. Similar to other borders.

Loyalists can identify as whomever they want to identify with. Geographically speaking, however, they are technically Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Derrydoc

If they chose to be then yes.

Not to mention the health and education standards.

What of them? Credible sources please if you're going to make bold claims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Nominally British. Much of their culture, however, is "British" in the same way as an Irish themed bar in Boston is "Irish".

No, British

How could they be British though? Britain is the land mass to the east of Ireland.

They've been born on the land mass to the west of Britain known as 'Ireland'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

How could they be British though? Britain is the land mass to the east of Ireland.

Northern Ireland is part of Britain though - whether I like that or not, it's a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Dunno if this is still so, but it used to be that a lot of unionists identified themselves as Irish people who were citizens of the United Kingdom.
    As far as I'm concerned, someone's Irish who lives in Ireland and works to make it the best place it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They have a choice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Galaxie

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Calling them United Kingdomers is a bit of a mouthful, so I'm happy enough to call them British.

Northern Ireland is part of Britain though - whether I like that or not, it's a fact.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

If you define it by where they're born and have been living (ie what island they're on), they're technically Irish. Culturally, that's a more confusing matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Ah here -will ya stop that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

If they were born in Northern Ireland I'd consider them Irish :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

no it's not. It's part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or the UK. It is not part of Britain though.
    (if you want to get into semantics, it is part of the geographical entity known as the British Isles though)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Part of the UK, not part of Britain.

Britain consists of England, Scotland, and Wales.

Why is that so difficult for some many people to understand? :confused:

Quit yer trollin' cathal!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement