Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are u/do u know any CEO's ?

Options
  • 15-02-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I know a lot of company CEO's are older like in their 40s/50s etc but it seems once you start doing it, you will always be on higher salaries and an executive business class lifestyle once you "know the ropes" so to speak. They just bounce from company to company, even across countries.

The CEO of the company I work in got let go and less than 3 months later he's CEO of another company making €160,000/year. Does anyone know how to get into this? Where I work which is a finance company it would take forever and a whole lotta luck to become a MD/CEO/etc but I'm young (20s) and want to eventually become a CEO , might aswell start early!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I know a guy who has CEO as his job title on his linked in.

He is a manager and minority shareholder in a company with about 5 employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Yes but the company has been teetering on the edge of bankrupcy for the past 6 years or more, still he manages to keep going. He drives a Mercedes SUV because its kind of a mandatory CEO vehicle and he talks all the going forward in the interim touch base talk.

I'd hate the job to be honest. If I had a company and it got to a certain size I would demote myself because I don't want to be a pen pusher or a meeting goer and want to stick with the interesting technical stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

7 7 12 wrote: »
    I know a lot of company CEO's are older like in their 40s/50s etc but it seems once you start doing it, you will always be on higher salaries and an executive business class lifestyle once you "know the ropes" so to speak. They just bounce from company to company, even across countries.

The CEO of the company I work in got let go and less than 3 months later he's CEO of another company making €160,000/year. Does anyone know how to get into this? Where I work which is a finance company it would take forever and a whole lotta luck to become a MD/CEO/etc but I'm young (20s) and want to eventually become a CEO , might aswell start early!
    Start your own company, make a few million and then appoint yourself CEO. Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Psychopathic tendencies would be an advantage in that particular career path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

First you gotta join the masons, or the illuminati, or the stone cutters! They'll sort you out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I am CEO of my company, i earn about 10k a day or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    I am CEO of my company, i earn about 10k a day or so

Did you send in your P60 Tom? You might have some beans to get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

There are no CEOs in Ireland, here you are a POF.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

What's the difference between a CEO and a Managing Director?

I'm a Secretary/ director of a company that I set up with a college classmate and we made a profit of about a tenner. Last I checked the CRO still hadn't folded us for failing to have submitted accounts, but any day now.

Costs about a hundred quid to set up your own company. Getting cheaper in the future, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

7 7 12 wrote: »

€20 to the CRO and you can become a CEO, COO and Managing Director of your own company all in one! Probably best register somebody else for these titles though and yourself as an employee in case your company goes to the wall and the Revenue comes looking to be paid! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Warren Buffet refers to them as members of the lucky sperm club, enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Czarcasm wrote: »
    €20 to the CRO and you can become a CEO, COO and Managing Director of your own company all in one! Probably best register somebody else for these titles though and yourself as an employee in case your company goes to the wall and the Revenue comes looking to be paid! :D

e20 only registers a trading name... You gotta splash the big bucks (e100) if you want to be a CEO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

dd972 wrote: »
    Warren Buffet refers to them as members of the lucky sperm club, enough said.

Nah go on, expand on it sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'm an MD, might even be a CEO, haven't checked lately(probably doubtful). I also know a lot of CEOs, of the genuine, squillionaire type, most are decent, intelligent people, with an ickle sliver of pure ice. You kind of have to be to get that far and stay there. The spoofers and gimps are usually more middle-stylee, the cnuts in a suit are clawing their way out of the lower MGT level and the delusional sharks are usually salesmen. I genuinely think it comes down to self regard and gravitas. I'd be lacking in both departments, luckily I make up for it in sheer brute will. I tend to get on with CEOs, usually because I make/save them a pile of money. Their doors are usually open to me, it's a perk of the job. They are usually fun to be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

No, but my Dad's the highest earning partner in KPMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

No, but my Dad's the highest earning partner in KPMG.

Don't you mean K P OM G !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Don't you mean K P OM G !

Hoighest orning portner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I know a couple of CEOs through work, some of quite large companies, but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Pottler wrote: »
    I'm an MD, might even be a CEO, haven't checked lately(probably doubtful). I also know a lot of CEOs, of the genuine, squillionaire type, most are decent, intelligent people, with an ickle sliver of pure ice. You kind of have to be to get that far and stay there. The spoofers and gimps are usually more middle-stylee, the cnuts in a suit are clawing their way out of the lower MGT level and the delusional sharks are usually salesmen. I genuinely think it comes down to self regard and gravitas.
    Got it in one Pottler.
    The sliver of ice seems to be the common denominator in CEOs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't know how a CEO is different from a guy who runs a company. I know a few people with tiny businesses where they say they are 'CEO' - I've said it myself as a joke.

Does it need to be a publicly traded company before the CEO is an appropriate title? Or is it just whatever you want it to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

CEO is a bit of a Dot Com/Celtic Tiger affectation really isn't it. Managing Director somehow seems old-fashioned now.

Advertisement