Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Depends how many there are. I could see it adding 50~100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

House Hunt wrote: »
    How much of a premium should a detached home carry in a new build estate?

E.g. If a similar sized semi-detached across the road is priced at X, what would a fair markup be for a detached, all else being equal?
    Its very rare all else is equal though
    Garden size ,better finish etc are normally applied to detached houses so they can attract a big a premium as possible

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In my experience detached houses tend to be significantly more expensive in new developments.

They are often on awkward plots, so bigger garden, or large size to fill the space.
    Sometimes people buy the site, or the house unfinished to they can customize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rosalind151

Do you need a member of The Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland to do your survey? Will a chartered engineer who's not a member be as good as? (Not asking about the quality of the job that they will do, but rather the regulatory and insurance implications of their membership if there are any).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

Has anybody requested funds from AIB in the last few weeks? If so how long are they taking roughly? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Almost 6 weeks Sale Agreed and no sign of contracts. It's probably not too long in the grand scheme of things, but patience is not one of my virtues! So I asked my solicitor yesterday if he'd follow up, and a few hours later he was told he'd have our contracts by the end of the week.

B*tches get sh*t done :D

Do you need a member of The Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland to do your survey? Will a chartered engineer who's not a member be as good as? (Not asking about the quality of the job that they will do, but rather the regulatory and insurance implications of their membership if there are any).

Don't think it's an issue at all. I'm having an architect do mine, he runs an architectural and engineering firm so I'm happy he knows his stuff. Was recommended to me by a colleague too.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

jokettle wrote: »
    Almost 6 weeks Sale Agreed and no sign of contracts. It's probably not too long in the grand scheme of things, but patience is not one of my virtues! So I asked my solicitor yesterday if he'd follow up, and a few hours later he was told he'd have our contracts by the end of the week.

B*tches get sh*t done :D

have you got all the other stuff already in place?

valuation, AIP/offer, mortgage insurance etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blackz

What exactly is the problem with the Land Registry? You can't really put a time frame on that. It could be anything.
    Hard to believe, but half of the house is built on land not belonging to the site the house is on!!!

• Advertisement

Leozord wrote: »
    have you got all the other stuff already in place?

valuation, AIP/offer, mortgage insurance etc?

Bank valuation and loan offer sorted. Our solicitor wants to see the contract before we get the survey done, but I've someone lined up for the survey anyway. Our broker is sorting the mortgage insurance for us. Not much to do now but wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 justme112

trinib wrote: »
    Has anybody requested funds from AIB in the last few weeks? If so how long are they taking roughly? Thanks

Requested Letter of Offer to be issued 5 weeks ago and it's. still not issued today. They basically restarted the whole process again by asking for last months payslips, P60s, statements from other banks etc.
    Last contact was 10 days ago through online portal and even after contacting local branch twice there still hasn't been any movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyone here with a respiratory ailment like asthma having to wait a looooooooong time to sort mortgage protection? I've two cases with Zurich and Irish Life since 1st Sep. Most likely this is down to covid

Blackz wrote: »
    Hard to believe, but half of the house is built on land not belonging to the site the house is on!!!

Are you still contemplating going ahead with the purchase ?
    The present owners of the site where half your house is built may not have an issue ,but what if they sell ?
    Do you intend getting the site borders redrawn ?
    Do the neighbours know ??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 TomTanks

Sale agreed since Feb and still not sorted. I feel like it's never gonna end, its literally the most stressful thing you'll do in your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

TomTanks wrote: »
    Sale agreed since Feb and still not sorted. I feel like it's never gonna end, its literally the most stressful thing you'll do in your life!

I feel your pain. I'm sale agreed since the beginning of March. Hoping I might be in by Christmas at this stage. :(

At what point do you give up as the buyer or the seller due lack of progress from the other party.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

beauf wrote: »
    At what point do you give up as the buyer or the seller due lack of progress from the other party.

as a buyer - whenever a nicer house comes up in the same location for the same price :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Is it normal for new build contract agreements to not specify the exact floor plan with measurements? My solicitor says it is ok as long as there's a floor plan shown even without measurements but I'm just wondering if thats standard practice and nothing to worry about.
    Also, Is it advisable to get a structural surveyor for new builds?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Is it normal for new build contract agreements to not specify the exact floor plan with measurements? My solicitor says it is ok as long as there's a floor plan shown even without measurements but I'm just wondering if thats standard practice and nothing to worry about.

I bought a newly built apartment in 2007. No plan with measurements. I’m buying a newly built house now. No plan with measurements attached to contact either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Blackz

brisan wrote: »
    Are you still contemplating going ahead with the purchase ?
    The present owners of the site where half your house is built may not have an issue ,but what if they sell ?
    Do you intend getting the site borders redrawn ?
    Do the neighbours know ??

Yes borders will have to redrawn. Everything is sorted with present owners of land, so its just the land registry now. Its got to a stage now, really thinking of pulling the plug.

Even if you got an exact floor plan with measurements the chances of even one room being accurate are very slim
    That’s why you never ever buy furniture until you have the keys in your hand

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes it is completely normal.

No you do not get a structural survey for a new build. You get a snag instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Foodie2012

Currently sale agreed on a new build over a month now and it's being held up by solicitors, wondering if anyone has experienced similar?
    Our solicitor has sent the developers solicitors some basic queries on land registration, access and declaration of identity. We asked a family friend solicitor to review who has confirmed all queries are reasonable. However the developers solicitors just keep ignoring them and not responding, and have now issued us with a letter saying we need to sign contracts by tomorrow!! Our solicitor won't let us sign until queries have been addressed. So frustrating, as over 100 people have already bought so there shouldn't be any issues!

Have many sales fallen through for these reasons, is it normal for this to happen for a house in a new build estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭ElitesTeam

So I'm sale agreed since last week.

Have a engineer schedule next week to check the house.

Contacted the bank to inform them.

How long do you normally wait for sellers contract?

When do you find out rough closing date?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Keep looking! Sales fall through and you do not want to be starting at zero again if it does.

Closing date should be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

A bit of progress made. Contacted solicitor all the purchaser queries have been answered. Awaiting for signed contracts in the next few days. Once we have them, we can sign and as well sign our purchase. There is a light at the end of the tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Is it normal for the agent not to tell the seller who is buying the house?

My parents are selling, and they don't want to sell it to some people in particular. But the agent won't tell us the name of the people who are bidding?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

My parents are selling, and they don't want to sell it to some people in particular. But the agent won't tell us the name of the people who are bidding?

Just put the foot down, that is nonsense.

• Advertisement

What difference does it make to them?
    They are selling

Advertisement