Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smyths September discounts on this year?

• 19-09-2020 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard if they are going ahead with this? It's usually a weekend in September of 20%. As far as I remember last year was a bit different, spend 100 get 20 off, spend 50 get 10 off etc. 20% off online would be great this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Not a hope this year I'd say as they can't attract big crowds into stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

TheDriver wrote: »
    Not a hope this year I'd say as they can't attract big crowds into stores.

Hoping for online. I wouldn't be going anywhere near a Smyths store. Definitely ordering everything online this year.
    Last year the offer they did was online too, whereas in previous years it was in store only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I saw somewhere saying it won’t happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hoping for online. I wouldn't be going anywhere near a Smyths store. Definitely ordering everything online this year.
    Last year the offer they did was online too, whereas in previous years it was in store only.

They don’t need to do it online as everyone is buying online anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Doubtful any shops will be doing mass discount deals due to safety precautions and the overall drop in sales for most of this year there will probably be a few deals about in 9 weeks for black Friday but aside from that not a hope

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    They don’t need to do it online as everyone is buying online anyway.

Have been thinking along the same line. Would be disappointing for my budget though ;)

Have been thinking along the same line. Would be disappointing for my budget though ;)

Just tell the kids that Santa had to reduce output this year due to need for social distancing in his workshops.

So fewer presents for everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Doubtful any shops will be doing mass discount deals due to safety precautions and the overall drop in sales for most of this year there will probably be a few deals about in 9 weeks for black Friday but aside from that not a hope

Online sales

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

There must be some sort of sale coming..noticed they have put their prices up on a few toys ....so must be planning to drop them back to the original price and put a save message on it. Like they do every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Frankie19 wrote: »
    There must be some sort of sale coming..noticed they have put their prices up on a few toys ....so must be planning to drop them back to the original price and put a save message on it. Like they do every year.

Utter rubbish.

Offers change in shops regularly and considering you can compare with a couple of clicks of a mouse your argument is null and void.

I think you said the same thing last year but were unable to give a single example.

BTW. Smyths are the largest toy store in Europe.

• Advertisement

I’ve never seen a LEGO set at higher than RRP in Smyths. I’ve gotten lots of sets for 20% off RRP in their sales including high value sets like Ghostbusters HQ, Technic Porsche, modulars, Death Star etc.

Toy master in the other hand, most sets are over RRP when ‘full price’. Sometime up to 20% more.

It's mainly Lego sets I'm after. I find they are priced well at Smyths, cheaper than the Art&Hobby shop and Argos.

I am well aware they are the biggest toy store in Europe due to them taking over toys r us stores whats that got to do with anything?. Doesnt stop them price establishing for sales which they legally need to do in order to sell at a certain price.

Yes prices go up and down for offers all the time. 3 toys I puchased this year from them are currently more expensive than I paid and were not previously on sale with them. Thats fine but I expect them to be back at the price I paid for them for any offers they do at Christmas . So fo me there is no saving.

It's mainly Lego sets I'm after. I find they are priced well at Smyths, cheaper than the Art&Hobby shop and Argos.

Check Bricklink, I’ve gotten a good price on some new current sets even after postage is added.

One seller was selling a high value creator expert set in lots of 2. Even after postage from somewhere in Europe I saved more than 20%.

Check Bricklink, I’ve gotten a good price on some new current sets even after postage is added.

One seller was selling a high value creator expert set in lots of 2. Even after postage from somewhere in Europe I saved more than 20%.

I was made aware of this site recently and it's great. I got a retired set that my daughter really wanted. Amazon often have good prices on current sets too.

According to the mother off all deals blogger/influencer she has been in contact with Smyths and they aren't doing their money off vouchers this year as they can't risk having large crowds in their stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Argos hasn't done the 5 off 50 10 off 100 for the same reason

Smyths have good offers on lots of Lego sets at the mo. And other toys. I ordered online for delivery.

Advertisement