Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

220k budget in Dublin

• 21-09-2020 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭

Single First time buyer looking for a place in Dublin. I realise for this money it will be a 1 2 bed apartment but looking for adobe on areas to look in or avoid.

I don’t want to be so far out in a place like Balbriggan or Rush where it takes hours to get into work. Can go to €220k but that’s doesn’t stretch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

1 bed apartment will require 25% down and still be harder to get a mortgage , just so you're aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-11/property-for-sale-in-finglas

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/133-mellowes-road-finglas-dublin-11/4448167

Instead of taking an opinion from the internet go up a few times day and night and see what you think.

Public transport is very good in Finglas and it has a lot of older settled parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

1 bed apartment will require 25% down and still be harder to get a mortgage , just so you're aware.

I have well over what savings I would need for a deposit but it’s the 3.5 times salary rule that is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have well over what savings I would need for a deposit but it’s the 3.5 times salary rule that is the issue.

then you're grand, most just don't realise the higher deposit for 1 beds, if possible id try get a 2 bed as much easier to resell, more room and if you ever needed some cash you can rent a room.

of whats up at present, this would be my pick : https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-the-academy-park-west-dublin-12/4455136

its a spacious 72m2 , near transport and not far out of the city. The area's not great but better than ballymun or some parts of finglas.

then you're grand, most just don't realise the higher deposit for 1 beds, if possible id try get a 2 bed as much easier to resell, more room and if you ever needed some cash you can rent a room.

of whats up at present, this would be my pick : https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-the-academy-park-west-dublin-12/4455136

its a spacious 72m2 , near transport and not far out of the city. The area's not great but better than ballymun or some parts of finglas.

I have been looking at that😄 My issue isn’t there doesn’t seem to be any shops etc that near it. I can put in 40-50k cash so it derives on banks moving a bit on the 3.5x rule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would keep saving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I have been looking at that�� My issue isn’t there doesn’t seem to be any shops etc that near it. I can put in 40-50k cash so it derives on banks moving a bit on the 3.5x rule

I've not been around that way for a good decade but there was a Spar, pub, restaurant, chemist, gym and a few other bits just there off the little roundabout. In fact I had my laser eye surgery in a place there too now that I recall. I still wouldn't say it's a great area but perhaps that's changed.

I would keep saving

What’s a more realistic budget? I realise I’m looking at 2 bed apartments, nit a home for life.

I can save about €500 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Im wondering regarding my own situation if you had the 50k deposit but didn't have a permanent job but were making very good money as a contractor would the banks turn you down ?

Looked more into this place, there’s a reason why it’s that price, on one side its wheatfield prison and the other a halting site. Then a train line in between.

Disappointing because it’s exactly my style of place

• Advertisement

What’s a more realistic budget? I realise I’m looking at 2 bed apartments, nit a home for life.

I can save about €500 a month

People seem to have a view that an apartment is temporary, whereas a house is a home for life.

There's really very little difference in price in my experience, especially in Dublin. If you're limiting your searches to apartments because you think it's a more realistic goal for you, I'd start including houses in my searches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Single First time buyer looking for a place in Dublin. I realise for this money it will be a 1 2 bed apartment but looking for adobe on areas to look in or avoid.

I don’t want to be so far out in a place like Balbriggan or Rush where it takes hours to get into work. Can go to €220k but that’s doesn’t stretch

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin/property-for-sale?types=97|36&maxprice=225000

If 220 is the max then start on page 4
    Or maybe bid 220 on anything you like

Couple of 2 beds in Clongriffin and you are max 10mins to DART and the 15 Bus which goes across city

People seem to have a view that an apartment is temporary, whereas a house is a home for life.

There's really very little difference in price in my experience, especially in Dublin. If you're limiting your searches to apartments because you think it's a more realistic goal for you, I'd start including houses in my searches too.

Would really prefer a house but not at the expense of location. Saw a really nice 2 bed apartment online yesterday but in investigation the area is a total hellhole.

There’s a 1 bed going for 210k in Stepaside just around the corner from where I’m now renting but it is quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

how about Santry ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    how about Santry ?

I don’t know that side of Dublin hardly at all to be honest. But once it’s a decent area and doesn’t take all day to get to town by bus then it’s worth considering

Seen a place. I quite like in Santry.

Any opinions on the area? I dont know up there hardly at all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Honestly it's a bit far out for my tastes, but then I don't like being reliant on Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I wouldn't write off Balbriggan, while it is far out there is the train and express bus services that go through the tunnel that will get you into the city faster than alot of places that are closer.
    It may not suit you but depending where in the city you are going to it may well be quicker than from Santry

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭notsobadinc

Would you consider Leixlip in Kildare..
    Apartments right beside Louisa Bridge train station going for 220k will have you in Connolly station plus you have the bus options and Royal canal cycle path once its finished.

Great location, lots of amenities and nice walks in the area. Apartments in this development are grand only storage heating would be a drawback but a couple of these appeared on bidx1 recently.

Santry is a great suggestion and lovely part of Dublin and my favourite place to have rented in. There is lots of amenities such as Santry Demesne, cinema and shopping centre, couple of large gyms, close to airport nad very well serviced by buses and you should be able to buy in Northwood or Larchhill for that price range.

• Advertisement

Would you consider Leixlip in Kildare..
    Apartments right beside Louisa Bridge train station going for 220k will have you in Connolly station plus you have the bus options and Royal canal cycle path once its finished.

Great location, lots of amenities and nice walks in the area. Apartments in this development are grand only storage heating would be a drawback but a couple of these appeared on bidx1 recently.

Santry is a great suggestion and lovely part of Dublin and my favourite place to have rented in. There is lots of amenities such as Santry Demesne, cinema and shopping centre, couple of large gyms, close to airport nad very well serviced by buses and you should be able to buy in Northwood or Larchhill for that price range.

Never thought of Lexilip. Would I be looking at 1 beds?
    Yes Santry is looking quite appealing. Affordable prices and about 30 minutes to work

Never thought of Lexilip. Would I be looking at 1 beds.
    Yes Santry is looking quite appealing. Affordable prices and about 30 minutes to work

For some reason I am unable to attach the link but its a 2 bed apartment that for sale at Louisa Bridge and great room rental potential with NUIM and Intel within close proximity.

Santry is closer and between the 2, would be my choice despite living in Leixlip now. Some of the apartments in Northwood Santry don't have allocated parking space so would need to buy 1 that has this included.

Where in Dublin are you working as I used to cycle from Santry into city every day and it was mostly fine.

You could also look for a mortgage exemption from the Banks and look for the 4 times salary rate..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

You could also look for a mortgage exemption from the Banks and look for the 4 times salary rate..

Exemptions are and will be rarer than hens teeth for the foreseeable future

For some reason I am unable to attach the link but its a 2 bed apartment that for sale at Louisa Bridge and great room rental potential with NUIM and Intel within close proximity.

Santry is closer and between the 2, would be my choice despite living in Leixlip now. Some of the apartments in Northwood Santry don't have allocated parking space so would need to buy 1 that has this included.

Where in Dublin are you working as I used to cycle from Santry into city every day and it was mostly fine.

I work kind near the convention centre in the city. I can’t drive so parking isn’t an issue.

Is it either of these?
    https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-18-block-b1-leixlip-co-kildare/2582052

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-12a-the-park-louisa-valley-leixlip-co-kildare/2575427

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

For the convention centre I'd look along the Maynooth train line between Clonsilla and Broombridge and see if you can find anything that works. The docklands train line will have you in very handy and the normal train line is there if you want to move jobs or go to town. Blanch will have anything you need to buy and an assortment of takeaways and restaurants. Wouldnt be great for night life though.

For the convention centre I'd look along the Maynooth train line between Clonsilla and Broombridge and see if you can find anything that works. The docklands train line will have you in very handy and the normal train line is there if you want to move jobs or go to town. Blanch will have anything you need to buy and an assortment of takeaways and restaurants. Wouldnt be great for night life though.

I can’t drive so being close to shops and all that is as important as distance to work. Nightlife wouldn’t bother me, you can find that if you want it.

I looked into the Local Authority mortgage scheme today and I might be able to borrow about an extra 20k though that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Never thought of Lexilip. Would I be looking at 1 beds?

Santry is a good spot. Lots of new apartments getting built at the moment around there. Omni is grand, close to airport and town, i know people who walk to work in town. Good walk but still it's shows its actually possible.

Can I expect to pay above the asking price for anything in Dublin these days? Trying to work out if I should be looking at places cheaper than what I can afford to allow room for a bidding war.

• Advertisement

brisan wrote: »
    Exemptions are and will be rarer than hens teeth for the foreseeable future
    I agree these are rare and tricky to obtain but are available and all depends on the career and the amount of savings you have. 2 of my gfs friends (accountant and a teacher) both received the 4 times rate earlier this year.

Advertisement