Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

• 01-07-2019 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Antifa attack journalist in Portland.

These girls always seem to get an easy ride from the media.

I've seen posts here defending them also, by simply using the definition antifa=anti fascist. How can that be a bad thing?

Hopefully now after they attacked a journalist, who clearly isn't a neo nazi. The media love for these scum will turn and they finally get declared as a terrorist group.

[Mod Warning from post #829]

Just read through a day's worth of drivel, interspersed with a few interesting posts. As flexible as the CA forum is trying to be when it comes to what can be discussed, a high percentage of posts in this thread fall well under the realm of personal abuse. From the charter:
    Charter wrote:
    You are free to express your views in a forceful manner provided you remain civil. Hate speech, insults, and purposely inflammatory remarks (i.e., trolling) will not be tolerated.

From here on in, I'm invoking that rule. Feel free to discuss the topic from any angle, but any further personal abuse or purposely inflammatory remarks will be carded, no exceptions. Fair warning and all that.

~Mike

[/Mod Warning]

Further mod warning 08/09/19
    Beasty wrote: »
    My understanding is this thread is about "left-wing" extremists in the US. Please do not cloud the issues by bringing in extremism or other situations from a completely different part of the political spectrum. They have been discussed separately and I am sure will continue to be discussed in other threads

Any questions, please PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Antifa == scum

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

antifa are just the lefts answer to fascism in their own way. Probably the most violent group of thugs in the US political protest sphere at the moment. A parody site did a really accurate graphic on it :

article-3189-art5bc78ca94d78c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Scum who behave more like fascists than the majority of people they label as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

So a group of masked white people engaging in political street violence beat the crap out of a gay Asian journalist dude.

Lots of twitter were ok with this today. The US has serious problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

So a group of masked white people engaging in political street violence beat the crap out of a gay Asian journalist dude.

We were waiting for you to arrive. Makes sense doesn't it

• Advertisement

• its an obvious and inevitable extension of the behaviour of the self-righteous left, starting with demands for special dispensation on lets say message boards and building up to violence against journalists

"its ok when we do it, because *we're right*"

nb the violence and ugliness of the far right is, imo, still worse. but it must be faced and beaten through legitimate means or any victory will in the long run prove pyrrhic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

And the Portland mayor keeps police from doing their jobs.

It used to be people in white sheets and hoods and now it's black outfits and masks... both of whom were/are supported by democrats.

Really sad state of current affairs on the west coast.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,717 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Commentator Max Brooks on Bill Maher tonight about American society:

"The solution is to abolish the two party system, let the knee jerk reactionary liberals and the bat shyt crazy conservatives spin off on their own while the moderates concentrate on building the schools, fixing the roads and taking the. GODDAMN LEAD out of the water"

Extremists of all creeds need to get in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

Antifa are so forceful of their beliefs that they're actually fascists in their own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They are anti democracy. Remember Pegida tried to have a peaceful march in Dublin cc and those scum attacked them. There was a peaceful counter demonstration fine I don't have to agree with it just like I don't have to agree with Pegida look at the scum aswell threatening hotels with violence forcing them to cancel the likes of the National Party aswell.

The governement want to keep any anti immigration voices away from the mainstream as they know they may gain traction like in many other European countries. Yet according to some the only protests that attract thugs are the yellow vests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Antifa, along with feminism, have good PR. The ideas are so simple and easy to get on board with. But as soon as you scratch beneath the surface you realize just how rotten it is.

Neither are criticized in left-wing media.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I saw this a few months back-Antifa conversation with a Proudboy hosted by the BBC. Also gives an insight into whats happening in Portland. Not exactly riveting stuff(spoiler: they're both stoned), but its telling. Notice the lack of engagement in argument from the antifa member, or any real addressing of the issues, along with constant underhanded insinuations and insults.

The 'proudboy' genuinely seemed interested in having a conversation, or I guess left-wing might call this trolling?

Recent article(14 hours) from Vox very strange indeed insinuating the left must arm themselves, because of the rise of the far right.
    I’m a left-wing anarchist. Guns aren’t just for right-wingers.
    The long, forgotten history of pro-gun left-wing groups.
    We can’t depend on the police to protect us
    Marginalized communities know best how to keep themselves safe; depending on law enforcement to protect them from racist and fascist attacks is a losing strategy (especially considering how often that particular call is coming from inside the house).
    Authored by Kim Kelly(who also has contributions for NYT/Guardian/WaPo)

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2019/7/1/18744204/guns-gun-control-anarchism

You could condense that down further to "people beat up other people" Sure if you leave out some context, why not leave it all out.

Where you choose to include and ignore context is very telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Kimsang wrote: »
    You could condense that down further to "people beat up other people" Sure if you leave out some context, why not leave it all out.

Where you choose to include and ignore context is very telling.

I included the context because on as I have written it it sounds like a hate crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,101 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Antifa, along with feminism, have good PR. The ideas are so simple and easy to get on board with. But as soon as you scratch beneath the surface you realize just how rotten it is.

More than good PR, they come from the establishment class.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Social outcasts banded together. Just look at them. Have you ever seen such a bunch of losers in your life?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Antifa have terrible PR. They are constantly, and often rightly, vilified by the media.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Squeaky voice clown gets a bang of a car. Hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Antifa attack journalist in Portland.

Proper Journalist? Or one of the new ones, Edgelords on twitter rehashing Fox News talking points?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    They are anti democracy. Remember Pegida tried to have a peaceful march in Dublin cc and those scum attacked them. There was a peaceful counter demonstration fine I don't have to agree with it just like I don't have to agree with Pegida look at the scum aswell threatening hotels with violence forcing them to cancel the likes of the National Party aswell.

The governement want to keep any anti immigration voices away from the mainstream as they know they may gain traction like in many other European countries. Yet according to some the only protests that attract thugs are the yellow vests.

Yeah about 25 of them against maybe 6 people. When the numbers are even they want no part of any fight. Because they get the **** kicked out of them every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,101 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Boggles wrote: »
    Proper Journalist? Or one of the new ones, Edgelords on twitter rehashing Fox News talking points?

He was Asian American and working class background.

That was the key driver for the attack.

There is a bad attitude growing in the American radical left to Asians. His being working class would have compounded it.

He has written for Quillette, the Wall St Journal etc so your attempt to minimize it as some edgelord getting hopped is not going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Danzy wrote: »

He has written for Quillette, the Wall St Journal etc so your attempt to minimize it as some edgelord getting hopped is not going to work.

I found his grift page.

https://www.patreon.com/AndyNgo

He is the definition of an Edgelord and not a journalist. He is also quite glaringly an imbecile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Danzy wrote: »
    He was Asian American and working class background.

That was the key driver for the attack.

There is a bad attitude growing in the American radical left to Asians. His being working class would have compounded it.

Ha, so twisted and wrong. The guy is an alt-right conservative writer with a penchant for associating with the far right chauvinists like the Proud Boys\Patriot Prayer, he ain't no ordinary journo and wasn't attacked for being working class/Asian. Looks like the guy went there in the middle of the anti-far right demonstrators to provoke them in order to claim the victimhood crown, well that worked for him.

klaaaz wrote: »
    Ha, so twisted and wrong. The guy is an alt-right conservative writer with a penchant for associating with the far right chauvinists like the Proud Boys\Patriot Prayer, he ain't no ordinary journo and wasn't attacked for being working class/Asian. Looks like the guy went there in the middle of the anti-far right demonstrators to provoke them in order to claim the victimhood crown, well that worked for him.

Yeah it worked well the brain dead Antifa fell for it. And showed themselves again to be cowards that only want to fight when they have a numbers advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Isn't he the guy who doxxed a woman who had her neck broken by one of his patriot prayer colleagues? Who also makes lists of journalists he claims are pro-antifa which are very popular among neo-nazi groups like Atomwaffen?
    The doxxing tweet is still on his timeline fyi, he even shows the footage of her getting attacked, but for some weird reason the actual moment she is hit is blurred out - it's almost like they don't want anyone to see exactly what happened at that point.

(according to witnesses the injury was caused by being hit with a metal baton on the back of her neck when she was turned away from the attacker)

It was at this far-right attack on a local business:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/portland-brewpub-cider-riot-sues-far-right-group-patriot-prayer-for-repeated-attacks

I'm not here to claim antifa alway behave perfectly and are incapable of being violent, but Andy Ngo is an active participant in these violent situations, not an innocent bystander as he claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Sam Harris has described the milkshake thing as a mock assignation, it shows the person who you are confronting how close you can get to them. This is a dangerous, dark development. It may be only a milkshake but what’s next, rocks? Likewise this attack is a disgrace.

When people have such hatred for a political opponent that they will resort to violence its very dangerous.

I don’t care what the other persons opinions are, you do not have the right to attack them. They are going to alienate centre left people with their behavior and its really helping nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Yeah it worked well the brain dead Antifa fell for it. And showed themselves again to be cowards that only want to fight when they have a numbers advantage.

Awww, the poor far right don't have the numbers of support.

• Advertisement

klaaaz wrote: »
    Awww, the poor far right don't have the numbers of support.

Theres nothing poor about the far right mate, they are extremist scumbags but so are the far left Antifa. Would you agree?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement