If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best way to go with my home cinema/gaming setup (sound)

• 22-09-2020 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a budget home cinema setup as follows:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Optoma HD29Darbee 1080p[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SONY HT-RT3 5.1 surround sound[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]X Box [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Optoma Projector has 2 HDMI inputs - and just a 3.5mm output for sound, [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The SONY surround sound has a HDMI ARC connection, and an optical input connection,[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I connect it up from the Xbox to Projector using HDMI - and from Xbox to surround sound using optical cable,[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just wondering, would an AV receiver enhance all of this? and if so, what would be the best one to go with? [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'll probably be upgrading to an xbox series x - which will have no optical output, so will need either adapters or receiver I would imagine,[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The sound system is decent enough, for the room which is 8m x 6m - but from your website at the moment, I see some good packages for AV receiver AND speakers, but I don't need the speakers if I can enhance the whole setup using an AV receiver,[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Very limited in connectivity from the projector, and new xbox will only have 1 HDMI output I believe, [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many thanks,[/font]

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi all,

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Optoma Projector has 2 HDMI inputs - and just a 3.5mm output for sound, [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The SONY surround sound has a HDMI ARC connection, and an optical input connection,[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I connect it up from the Xbox to Projector using HDMI - and from Xbox to surround sound using optical cable,[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just wondering, would an AV receiver enhance all of this? and if so, what would be the best one to go with? [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'll probably be upgrading to an xbox series x - which will have no optical output, so will need either adapters or receiver I would imagine,[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The sound system is decent enough, for the room which is 8m x 6m - but from your website at the moment, I see some good packages for AV receiver AND speakers, but I don't need the speakers if I can enhance the whole setup using an AV receiver,[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Very limited in connectivity from the projector, and new xbox will only have 1 HDMI output I believe, [/font]

Hi offalyguy25,

I think the addition of an AV Receiver would definitely be a good upgrade to the system especially if you will be upgrading to an XBox One X.

The AV Receiver will allow you to run the Xbox through it via HDMI and will decode a lot more sound codecs than running the Optical such as Dolby Atmos, True HD and DTS X!

I would recommend the Sony STRDN1080 which is a fantastic amp, will allow 4K HDMI passthrough (if you decide to upgrade the projector for the Xbox 4K Graphics) as well as the ability to run 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos and wireless streaming! You'll be able to connect your existing speakers however you'd need to check if your sub is active or passive as the AV receiver can only accept an active sub.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202643-sony-strdn1080-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭offalyguy25

Hi all,

Hi offalyguy25,

I think the addition of an AV Receiver would definitely be a good upgrade to the system especially if you will be upgrading to an XBox One X.

The AV Receiver will allow you to run the Xbox through it via HDMI and will decode a lot more sound codecs than running the Optical such as Dolby Atmos, True HD and DTS X!

I would recommend the Sony STRDN1080 which is a fantastic amp, will allow 4K HDMI passthrough (if you decide to upgrade the projector for the Xbox 4K Graphics) as well as the ability to run 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos and wireless streaming! You'll be able to connect your existing speakers however you'd need to check if your sub is active or passive as the AV receiver can only accept an active sub.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202643-sony-strdn1080-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Looks like I have an active sub, so should be good, in terms of the connectors from the other speakers, they are similar to the type in the attached file, so would the above AV Receiver take that type of connection or would I need adapters? :-) there's also an HDMI ARC output on the speaker system, I see there is the same on the above receiver, 

Many thanks,

Hi all,

Hi offalyguy25,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Looks like I have an active sub, so should be good, in terms of the connectors from the other speakers, they are similar to the type in the attached file, so would the above AV Receiver take that type of connection or would I need adapters? :-) there's also an HDMI ARC output on the speaker system, I see there is the same on the above receiver, 

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Thanks for getting back to me!

Those connectors won't fit in the STRDN1080, what you may have to do is cut the ends off the cable and bare the wire to correctly wire it to the amp!

There is indeed an ARC on the STRDN1080, this will allow you run sound back from a TV with an ARC output. Projectors won't have this feature so you're better running all of your sources to the amp via HDMI and having one HDMI connected to the projector for video!

Kind regards

David

Hi all,

Hi offalyguy25,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Those connectors won't fit in the STRDN1080, what you may have to do is cut the ends off the cable and bare the wire to correctly wire it to the amp!

There is indeed an ARC on the STRDN1080, this will allow you run sound back from a TV with an ARC output. Projectors won't have this feature so you're better running all of your sources to the amp via HDMI and having one HDMI connected to the projector for video!

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, 

Some good info here, seems like the connectors for speakers are not the standard so, and will take someone more skilled than myself to cut the ends and wire into the amp, or else a better set of speakers with the correct connectors :-) 
    If I were to purchase a set of speakers for big room, to go with an amp such as this, what would you suggest? and what would be best price in terms of a bundle?

Many thanks,

Hi all,

Hi offalyguy25,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, 

Some good info here, seems like the connectors for speakers are not the standard so, and will take someone more skilled than myself to cut the ends and wire into the amp, or else a better set of speakers with the correct connectors :-) 
    If I were to purchase a set of speakers for big room, to go with an amp such as this, what would you suggest? and what would be best price in terms of a bundle?

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

We have a few bundles available that you could have a look at! One of the best bundles with satellites would be the Sony STRDN1080 with teh Wharfedale DX2 pack! The Wharfedales pack quite a punch for all the size of them! Plus this bundle comes with the cable you'd need to hook it all up!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13645-sony-strdn1080-b-wharfedale-dx2-aud100-sub-lead-cambridge-symphony-200-25-metres-peerless-spk510-av-receiver-5-1-speaker-package-with-stands-and-cable.aspx

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Hi offalyguy25,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, 

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

We have a few bundles available that you could have a look at! One of the best bundles with satellites would be the Sony STRDN1080 with teh Wharfedale DX2 pack! The Wharfedales pack quite a punch for all the size of them! Plus this bundle comes with the cable you'd need to hook it all up!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13645-sony-strdn1080-b-wharfedale-dx2-aud100-sub-lead-cambridge-symphony-200-25-metres-peerless-spk510-av-receiver-5-1-speaker-package-with-stands-and-cable.aspx

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David, 

It's a large room I have so I think the Wharfedales are suited to a smaller room, 

Let's say I went with an investment like this: https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/home-cinema-packages/sony-strdn1080-q-acoustics-3050i-5-1-walnut.html - what kind of cable would I need to buy? as I haven't a clue!

Projector and XBox sit behind couch on a shelf, and the receiver would be there also,

Projector projects to a wall approx. 5 meters away, so I guess cabling would need to cover the distance from receiver to the projector wall for the Sub and floorstanders / centre - and xBox would be connected to the receiver beside it on shelf which is fine, and then hdmi output from receiver to input on projector, 

So yeah, would be looking for the above package, with enough cable to cover off everything, 

Apologies for all the questions, am new to this,

Kind Regards, 

Hi all,

Hi offalyguy25,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, 

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David, 

It's a large room I have so I think the Wharfedales are suited to a smaller room, 

Let's say I went with an investment like this: https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/home-cinema-packages/sony-strdn1080-q-acoustics-3050i-5-1-walnut.html - what kind of cable would I need to buy? as I haven't a clue!

Projector and XBox sit behind couch on a shelf, and the receiver would be there also,

Projector projects to a wall approx. 5 meters away, so I guess cabling would need to cover the distance from receiver to the projector wall for the Sub and floorstanders / centre - and xBox would be connected to the receiver beside it on shelf which is fine, and then hdmi output from receiver to input on projector, 

So yeah, would be looking for the above package, with enough cable to cover off everything, 

Kind Regards, 
    Hi Offalyguy,

That's a fantatstic system and would definitely give a beefier sound for a larger room!

You would just need cabling! We cut speaker cable by the meter so it would depend how much you need but it ranges in price from £1.19 per meter to whatever you want to spend! I'd recommend something like the QED Silver Anniversary! I use it myself and it's a great all rounder!

You would need a sublink cable for the subwoofer and then an HDMI cable from the amp to the projector! You wouldneed HDMIs for your sources to your amp as well but you may already have these with the Xbox!

If you let me know what length of cables you'd need I can work you out a total price!

Kind regards

David

Hi all,

Hi offalyguy25,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, 

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David, 

Kind Regards, 
    Hi Offalyguy,

That's a fantatstic system and would definitely give a beefier sound for a larger room!

You would just need cabling! We cut speaker cable by the meter so it would depend how much you need but it ranges in price from £1.19 per meter to whatever you want to spend! I'd recommend something like the QED Silver Anniversary! I use it myself and it's a great all rounder!

You would need a sublink cable for the subwoofer and then an HDMI cable from the amp to the projector! You wouldneed HDMIs for your sources to your amp as well but you may already have these with the Xbox!

If you let me know what length of cables you'd need I can work you out a total price!

Kind regards

David
    Excellent stuff David, 

Will come back to you with measurements at some stage tomorrow for cabling :-)

Kind Regards ,

Hi all,

Hi offalyguy25,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, 

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David, 

Kind Regards, 
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Excellent stuff David, 

Kind Regards ,
    No problem, keep me posted!

Hi all,

Hi offalyguy25,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, 

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David, 

Kind Regards, 
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Excellent stuff David, 

Kind Regards ,
    Hi David

Room measurements are per the following to get to desired location

sub - 11m
    centre - 13m
    floorstanding - 12m x 2
    surround - 2m x 2

Would you be recommending the QED Silver Anniversary for all of that? as I would imagine it's pricey,

And in terms of the sublink cable, is that just the cable measurement above? or an additional cable also?

I have attached a horrendous scribble of my room layout, to give an idea,

S = Subwoofer - will be in front corner or close to it
    F = Floorstanding
    C = centre
    S at back = Surround
    P = projector
    x = xbox
    AV = What will be AV receiver

So with all the above in mind, what is the best offer on the full package?

Many thanks,

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Hi offalyguy25,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David,

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Cheers David, 

Many thanks,
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David, 

Kind Regards, 
    Hi Offalyguy,

Kind regards

David
    Excellent stuff David, 

Kind Regards ,
    Hi David

Room measurements are per the following to get to desired location

sub - 11m
    centre - 13m
    floorstanding - 12m x 2
    surround - 2m x 2

Would you be recommending the QED Silver Anniversary for all of that? as I would imagine it's pricey,

And in terms of the sublink cable, is that just the cable measurement above? or an additional cable also?

I have attached a horrendous scribble of my room layout, to give an idea,

S = Subwoofer - will be in front corner or close to it
    F = Floorstanding
    C = centre
    S at back = Surround
    P = projector
    x = xbox
    AV = What will be AV receiver

So with all the above in mind, what is the best offer on the full package?

Many thanks,
    Thanks for getting back to me Offalyguy!

The amp and speakers would be the web price of £1319!

In terms of the cables, the longest Sublink I would have would be 10m, would this belong enough? I also have cheaper versions in a 7.5m if you would be able to get away with that one?

I can do the following cable bundles:

Bundle 1
    41m Silver Anniversary XT
    1 x QED Profile Sublink 10m
    Total: £234

Bundle 2:
    41m QED Silver Micro
    1 x QED Profile Sublink 10m
    Total: £194

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.