Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Additional teachers

Options
  • 31-07-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Just wondering with the announcement of extra teachers (I know that will mean one per school), what are these in terms of contracts? Are these CIDable? What subjects will be covered with it? Is it just substitution and a part timer is called - which should be the case anyway. If it's an increase in hours in a school, I assume the sequencing circular comes in to play with seniority of part timers but curricular needs of the school is first? Anyone have any information? I'm enquiring as I know of a principal jigging timetables to keep a few part time teachers on part time hours and timetabling new teachers due to curricular needs with better timetables.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

I’m presuming at primary level these will mostly be PME students so not eligible to go towards CID.
    Unsure about the secondary level sorry.
    A good time to be a PME looking for subbing I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

Secondary school in Gort has advertised for 2 resource teachers "under the COVID-19 provision", their RPT contracts which are 22hours, which means the teacher would be paid for the year and for holidays. First advertisement I've seen relating to COVID provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

helpful wrote: »
    I’m presuming at primary level these will mostly be PME students so not eligible to go towards CID.

I'm not totally au fait with the primary sector but would the panels be emptied first before a PME is employed.

ulsen wrote: »
    Secondary school in Gort has advertised for 2 resource teachers "under the COVID-19 provision", their RPT contracts which are 22hours, which means the teacher would be paid for the year and for holidays. First advertisement I've seen relating to COVID provision.

Interesting. That's a big school. The number of vacancies has increased the past few days.

Answering my own question there is a circular. Section 5 deals with recruitment. A school must demonstrate how they will utilise extra hours.

5 Increased Management and Staffing Supports

In line with current arrangements, an additional teacher allocation will be allocated to schools in the free
    scheme based on recognised mainstream school enrolments on 30 September 2019.

5.1 PTR Adjustment of 0.6 WTE
    A teacher allocation equivalent to a pupil teacher ratio (PTR) reduction of 0.6 will be allocated based on
    recognised mainstream school enrolments on 30 September 2019.
    This allocation will support the important work of teaching and learning and provide additional teachers
    needed to support teacher substitution, management of physical distancing requirements by reallocating
    class timetables in schools to smaller groups class sizes where necessary. These posts will also provide for
    management supports.
    A revised staffing schedule confirming the allocation for PTR Adjustment (COVID-19) will issue to all schools
    in the free scheme in early August.

Can't link the circular but it is 0046/2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

helpful wrote: »

At primary level, it’s only sub cover that has been granted rather than extra teachers onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Not a good idea to rely on retired teachers. Many would be in the at risk category or nearing it .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

As Murple says , there are no extra teachers at primary level .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Teaching Principles in primary schools will get cover for one day each week, for admin duties, smaller schools will probably cooperate with each other to make this work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm subbing (unqualified) through Route 3, I'm gonna assume my options are the same as they always were, except I'll probably be busier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I assume primary is the same as secondary and these jobs are going to be filled by fictional people. I'm really concerned about subbing this year. The document also has a pay rate, not for unqualified teachers but for supervision? I assume this is randomers of the street. That's very worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I assume primary is the same as secondary and these jobs are going to be filled by fictional people. I'm really concerned about subbing this year. The document also has a pay rate, not for unqualified teachers but for supervision? I assume this is randomers of the street. That's very worrying

Our school requires very high levels of classroom management. Often subs (when we can get them ) struggle. They tend to need high levels of support to keep the class ticking over. The thoughts of randomers / local arrangement fills me with dread as the repercussions of poor classroom management usually have consequences across the school. Not looking forward to next year at all.

Same here. We are a DEIS PP, we generally loose at least one qualified teacher a year once they start because they can't control classes. Randomers have zero chance of being able to keep some of our classes socially distant or even in the room. We had 2 graduates this year in subbing and the rest of the teachers had to frequently leave their classes to go deal with issues. One lad was videoing himself on the class.....not the kids, the graduate sub

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

Also means with additional subs and supervisors we will have more people in the school, where ideally we should have less.
    One million students going back to school, that's approximately one fifth of our population, this really has to be done right or it could go so horribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Same here. We are a DEIS PP, we generally loose at least one qualified teacher a year once they start because they can't control classes. Randomers have zero chance of being able to keep some of our classes socially distant or even in the room. We had 2 graduates this year in subbing and the rest of the teachers had to frequently leave their classes to go deal with issues. One lad was videoing himself on the class.....not the kids, the graduate sub

This is more of a reflection on leadership and management of the school than the teachers involved if it is an annual occurrence.

Issues are different in every school. The kids are great in our school but they carry a lot of emotional pain and need to be managed initially to ensure they understand appropriate reactions to situations as their home or outside social lives would have taught them to react by shouting or using their fists. Not every teacher is interested or capable of dealing with this type of student. It's not our senior kids they find the issue with. They have been through behaviour for learning programmes and are fabulous to teach.

The graduates are absolutely a failure of management though, I completely agree. I'd say every member of staff complained about them and they were still brought back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

when left to local arrangements and the absence of any credible support from the department, unfortunately it'll -as always- fall on SET teachers in primary, and cancel any withdrawal based learning support in secondary (or should I say "incorporate it into mainstream classes"). Team teaching will also be put on hold .

I would strongly suggest they allocate PME teachers to schools in September , have a quid pro quo that it counts towards the Teaching practice time or droichead at the other end. Probably too late now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Might not be, especially for incoming PME students as timetables etc. are even less fixed this year than in any other year, things are changing at a rate of knots in all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Usual sobering commentary on the Teaching Council in the Journal today.

The comments section are even more depressing from other teachers who just gave up.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/irish-teaching-council-5162446-Aug2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i was in a school 2 years ago where a sub(not overly young) came in and didnt even try to classroom manage just shrugged his shoulders said there was nothing he could do, these were not overly bad kids in fact some very good students who had to be overwhelmed by the madness that ensued in the class. of course it came to a head eventually when an incident happened. very little mangement could do i suppose. i felt like going in some days and letting rip at the the kids but sure you couldnt do that.

Advertisement