Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Secondary Subbing Advice

• 28-07-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

I have recently graduated with a BCL and French degree and I am looking into subbing in a secondary school part-time for the year. It is mainly supervision work I am looking for.

From the other threads I see that I require a TC Route 3 certification to sub, but is that the case for supervision of classes also?

Further, should I approach the schools personally or is there another way to offer my services as a sub? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Subbing and supervision are essentially the same thing. Granted supervising classes, you may not be teaching them, but to get work in a school you have to be registered with the Teaching Council.

If you got a call from a school for a few days subbing, you might not be teaching the woodwork classes, but if there were French classes in the mix you would probably be expected to teach them something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

If you are offering your services to sub I think you should show a willingness to teach the students. There’s no such job as supervisor in a classroom.

With a lot of subbing situations work will be left for the students and you would have to tell the students what it is, and help them with it if they ask.

Aside from anything else, busy students are easier to manage.

Advertisement