Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, if you find a birth cert for a person in that period, you could then approach the parish with the details and say "I'm just looking for the godparents' names".

I did that exercise for all my grandparents' siblings. Some churches charged me and some didn't. Sadly, it didn't yield any new family members. I recognised almost all the names.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have managed to completely break Ancestry's family tree rendering, by finding the docs (Booterstown Parish records are fantastic) to show that my great-grandfathers first and second wifes were first cousins (and hence linking them). Totally legit, likely quite common but it now shows every descendent of the second marriage twice.

This is software designed for Mormons, it should really be able to handle someone remarrying after being widowed!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I have a few similar events which seem to cause Ancestry the same difficulty.
    In on instance an individual was left out on their own unconnected to any relative.
    Of course it all depends on which person's perspective you have chosen to view the tree from.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Anyone else having issues with accessing irishgenealogy.ie? I'm getting a message saying that it's certificate has been revoked.

mindhorn wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with accessing irishgenealogy.ie? I'm getting a message saying that it's certificate has been revoked.

Yep, me too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Yes and it's annoying when you have nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ath262

the site has been fine for me this afternoon for civil records, I'm on FireFox 64bit
    SSL cert expires December 2021, same for church record section

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Me too (and I'm using Firefox, latest version)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Using Brave browser here. No issues.

• Advertisement

Tried Brave just now and managed to make it to the homepage but won't allow me to access the civil records, for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tried Brave just now and managed to make it to the homepage but won't allow me to access the civil records, for example.

There must be something else going on.
    Can you try it with Brave's 'shields down'? Right hand side of address bar.

Thanks, tried it the shield down but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ath262

I haven't been having any problems on IrishGenealogy, all worked ok for me yesterday also in FireFox

Just tested in MS Edge & Chrome (related engine) which are giving a cert revoked error, seems to be an issue with it's reading of the assignment to the home which is site gov.ie, this should link it to the associated sites which include www.cultureireland.ie, civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie, churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie, www.irishfamine.ie etc

Edit - Similar error in Safari (iPad) 'connection is not private', seems it doesn't think the cert is associated with civil records subsite

For ref my FF is 86.0.2 64 bit

It's back working now.

It's back working now.

That's a relief! :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

DNA Family Secrets, a new BBC show, airs in twenty minutes.

DNA Family Secrets, a new BBC show, airs in twenty minutes.

Alas, it’s presented by Stacey Dooley.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »

Oh no! Not Stacey Dooley. Doesn't matter now, I just missed it!

Hermy wrote: »

Forgot to include that warning!

• Advertisement

Was it good enough to record next week?

Think it's the first episode.

What did you think of it?

It's only starting now. Background noise so I'm not really paying any attention to it.

Misunderstood the time, I'm recording it now as I can't watch right now.

No need to be mean about the presenter please.

I think it's good so far. Not all genealogy focus - there's a story about Huntington's disease as well.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    No need to be mean about the presenter please.
    I’m not being mean - I just don’t like her presentation.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I know it was terribly basic, but it covered a little bit about why DNA can be useful for finding relatives, how there is less and less common per generations etc..

I liked how the DNA results did not always end in a neat tying up of loose ends. I preferred it to 'Long Lost Family' which is really very samey at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

The presenter is a 'people person' and while empathetic is a lightweight for a science topic, so it exemplifies what the show is and will be about. Very basic, far too long/drawn out for the content.

• Advertisement

Sorry Hermy - lots of people on the twitter hashtag were saying terrible things about Stacey Dooley while the show aired - of a personal nature. Perfectly fine not to like her style of presenting.

ITV will be airing a very similar show from next Wednesday with celebrity pairings, based on the Ant & Dec format they did about 18 months ago.

These shows will always be too lightweight and not in-depth enough for us. However, I'm happy that television programs are covering DNA from all the angles, and Spurious said, not just happy endings.

I wanted to know why they weren't more conclusive about the beardy guy's father. If there were 5 siblings, and one had no children, but the others did, yes, you couldn't be definitive, but you could rule everyone else out. Were there people who didn't want to test?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement