Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DoE testing - The Last Word

1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Hi Zambo.. not sure what you're trying to imply.. are you seriously trying to separate your campervan from other commercial vehicles.. even a vw golf van needs an annual cvrt..only difference is the camper Van's are much cheaper as it is.. unless huge 3 axle camper most standard campers 2 axle are only approx 88 euros for test. Whereas the smallest commercial van like a vw golf costs 111. And the campervan easily weighs twice as much as the golf van..
    Just to educate a little ..I'm well familiar with all sizes of commercial vehicles and no matter how anyone wishes to argue ..most camper Van's fall under a light commercial vehicle although at the very top end of this section as most fall just under 3500 kgs. Also some like vwlt46 etc are in the heavy van category..well over 3500..
    Yet get by for the same 88 euro test..
    Maybe he can actually reply positively for once and realise that by the ops original post. He had the vehicle parked up for some time..this wasn't the rsa,s fault and if he wanted to ensure he got the full 12 months he should have simply kept it off the road for another 5 or 6 months and then hed have got the full test.. next he will be looking for a refund for the 6 months hes arguing about..44 euros.. it's time to move on I don't think anyone here will dispute that owners of campervans are getting a very good deal compared to all other commercial vehicle operators..
    Any comment on the stupid tax system for buying any vehicle in the uk..
    Yes we can all moan ..but rhd of the day
    Road tax ..testing..insurance etc are all cheaper for campervan owners.. if I could get half those discounts for running my small van I'd be fair happy..
    Happy new year to all.. even drivers of discounted cvrt,s

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

Maybe he can actually reply positively for once and realise that by the ops original post. He had the vehicle parked up for some time..this wasn't the rsa,s fault and if he wanted to ensure he got the full 12 months he should have simply kept it off the road for another 5 or 6 months and then hed have got the full test.. next he will be looking for a refund for the 6 months hes arguing about..44 euros..

sorry to correct you but i said i bought the van that had a lapsed test and also said i knew nothing about how the test worked over here.why would i be looking for a refund that don't make sense at all.by the way the test is 93 euro and i think most owners arguement is that these vehicles are tested every year when a lot of them are only used in the summer where as a commercial runs up many tens of thousands of miles every year so obviously neeb testing every year.and as zambo said why should we pay a commercial vehicle charge when officially they are campers or motorhomes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Hi Zambo.. not sure what you're trying to imply.. are you seriously trying to separate your campervan from other commercial vehicles.. .......I don't think anyone here will dispute that owners of campervans are getting a very good deal compared to all other commercial vehicle operators....................

Therein lies the issue, campervans ARE NOT commercial vehicles, campervans or to give then their correct description 'motor caravans' are private passenger vehicles which fall within the same EU Vehicle Category as private cars.
    Also, owners of campervans private individuals who have to pay out of their own after-tax personal income and ARE NOT commercial vehicle operators who can claim the VAT back and charge the whole cost to company accounts.
    And, according to the relevant EU Directive on the testing of motor vehicles are not listed to be tested as commercial vehicles.
    Unfortunately, The RSA have, for their own convenience, decided to test motor caravans under LGV or HGV test manuals and not the NCT manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi Zambo.. not sure what you're trying to imply.. are you seriously trying to separate your campervan from other commercial vehicles.. even a vw golf van needs an annual cvrt..only difference is the camper Van's are much cheaper as it is.. unless huge 3 axle camper most standard campers 2 axle are only approx 88 euros for test. Whereas the smallest commercial van like a vw golf costs 111. And the campervan easily weighs twice as much as the golf van..
    Just to educate a little ..I'm well familiar with all sizes of commercial vehicles and no matter how anyone wishes to argue ..most camper Van's fall under a light commercial vehicle although at the very top end of this section as most fall just under 3500 kgs. Also some like vwlt46 etc are in the heavy van category..well over 3500..
    Yet get by for the same 88 euro test..
    Maybe he can actually reply positively for once and realise that by the ops original post. He had the vehicle parked up for some time..this wasn't the rsa,s fault and if he wanted to ensure he got the full 12 months he should have simply kept it off the road for another 5 or 6 months and then hed have got the full test.. next he will be looking for a refund for the 6 months hes arguing about..44 euros.. it's time to move on I don't think anyone here will dispute that owners of campervans are getting a very good deal compared to all other commercial vehicle operators..
    Any comment on the stupid tax system for buying any vehicle in the uk..
    Yes we can all moan ..but rhd of the day
    Road tax ..testing..insurance etc are all cheaper for campervan owners.. if I could get half those discounts for running my small van I'd be fair happy..
    Happy new year to all.. even drivers of discounted cvrt,s
    Hi
    No im not trying to separate my van from goods vans , the EU have already done that for me when they declared that all campervans are type M1 (private vehicles,same as passenger cars). My van is over3500kg and goes through the hgv line at the test but its still not a commercial .I repeated that because I told you in a previous posting that it is a private vehicle but you chose to ignore it. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about campers paying less than you do for your work related van ,thats just misguided jealousy. Wait til you find out that bicycles dont pay anything for either test or tax , that may really annoy you BTW the tax or test hasnt cost 88 euro for some years and now we are also stuck for a levy to help road transport operators.
    I am always happy to reply positively and can say positively it would have been nice if you had read the thread properly .It was I that had my van off the road not the op .Are you saying I need a test cert to store my van in a shed .The test when I put it back on the road was its first test under the new system.
    I use my van for about a month each year and do less than 5000 km however I cannot tax it for less than 1 year . The cost of the test is about the same as the tax.
    This forum is not the place to discuss tax law in the UK .
    Talking of discounts how about the fact that you can reclaim vat on fuel and maintenance costs if you are legitimately using it as a goods vehicle ,not that im jealous !!! and once again campers are neither LGV's or HGV's.
    If you think me argumentative you might like to avoid topics you know nothing about.

Ah well ..that's hilarious.. some of ye even agree that her camper Van's are well over 3500kgs.. I have no issues with this but are ye really looking to be absolutely exempted from any type of roadworthy test or checks.. mileage varies in every type of vehicle..car..van .trucks..campers.. and so on.. irrelevant of high or very low mileage in many instances due to their age.. and being parked up for months on end ..and many are not dry stored.. there's quite a much higher risk of brakes being seized..load sensing valves not operating etc.
    I honestly think that from all classes of vehicles being tested by the rsa.. camper Van's certainly fare out the best..lowest annual test fee..no tachograph or speedlimiter calibration charges no 13 week inspections..as for mileage most people I know with campers. Go on the continent and it's very easy to rack up kms there.. my own work can is 2007 and only has 130km on it..yet a few years ago we travelling across France in it and during 2 weeks we racked up 4k kms..id be flat out to put up more than 300km per week at home..
    When I bought my current van here in Ireland the owner was quite I'll and had left the tax lapse by 2 months..yet when I went to tax it as the new owner I had to pay the back tax.. I wasn't happy but do that give me rights to look for sympathy from people on boards..
    Bottom line the cvrt testing and annual taxing are now clearly linked.. ie you cannot renew tax unless vehicle still has
    3 months cvrt remaining.. and as per my earlier post the rsa expects all categories that come under its testing regime to adhere to basic rules..many loopholes that were clearly available a few years back ..no longer exist. And the test in general has got much tougher.. the op should have checked before buying.. but whether it was previous owner had it parked up..as the op has stated.. or even if it was the op himself.. well he had only 2 choices..
    1...wait until vehicle is within 30 days of annual test.
    2.... simply go the route he went and re test again when annual test is due ..
    Hes clearly arguing over the cost of 6 months test.. 50 euros max.. that for the very last time was his own making..
    Jesus I wonder just how ye campervan owners even manage to fill up yer diesel tanks..let alone the cost of annual maintenance.. oh by the way as I've already clarified campers are either higher end light commercial vehicles..or if over 3500kgs there recognized in the test centre as hgv.. same engine.. driveline. Ie for safety needs same test as a lcv van or hgv van. Not every company can spends all its life loaded to maximum weight..
    People are clearly straying well wide of the original ops post..
    And yes I'm well knowledgeable about all the above vehicle classes.. as I'm a qualified hgv mechanic.. only with 30 years experience..
    Happy motoring all

• Advertisement

i'm not arguing over the cost of 6 months test if ya read mine and others replies we are moaning that if the "van" is tested at whatever date it should have 12 months test is that so unreasonable???
    see that's ya trouble your looking at it from a mechanics point of view about the vehicles and testing so deviating from what i originally said about why should it only have 6 months when it passed a test????
    ps.how could i check up on the test etc when i am new to it?i was told about the tax and insurance by the way but not the test.

Ah well ..that's hilarious.. some of ye even agree that her camper Van's are well over 3500kgs.. I have no issues with this but are ye really looking to be absolutely exempted from any type of roadworthy test or checks.. mileage varies in every type of vehicle..car..van .trucks..campers.. and so on.. irrelevant of high or very low mileage in many instances due to their age.. and being parked up for months on end ..and many are not dry stored.. there's quite a much higher risk of brakes being seized..load sensing valves not operating etc.
    I honestly think that from all classes of vehicles being tested by the rsa.. camper Van's certainly fare out the best..lowest annual test fee..no tachograph or speedlimiter calibration charges no 13 week inspections..as for mileage most people I know with campers. Go on the continent and it's very easy to rack up kms there.. my own work can is 2007 and only has 130km on it..yet a few years ago we travelling across France in it and during 2 weeks we racked up 4k kms..id be flat out to put up more than 300km per week at home..
    When I bought my current van here in Ireland the owner was quite I'll and had left the tax lapse by 2 months..yet when I went to tax it as the new owner I had to pay the back tax.. I wasn't happy but do that give me rights to look for sympathy from people on boards..
    Bottom line the cvrt testing and annual taxing are now clearly linked.. ie you cannot renew tax unless vehicle still has
    3 months cvrt remaining.. and as per my earlier post the rsa expects all categories that come under its testing regime to adhere to basic rules..many loopholes that were clearly available a few years back ..no longer exist. And the test in general has got much tougher.. the op should have checked before buying.. but whether it was previous owner had it parked up..as the op has stated.. or even if it was the op himself.. well he had only 2 choices..
    1...wait until vehicle is within 30 days of annual test.
    2.... simply go the route he went and re test again when annual test is due ..
    Hes clearly arguing over the cost of 6 months test.. 50 euros max.. that for the very last time was his own making..
    Jesus I wonder just how ye campervan owners even manage to fill up yer diesel tanks..let alone the cost of annual maintenance.. oh by the way as I've already clarified campers are either higher end light commercial vehicles..or if over 3500kgs there recognized in the test centre as hgv.. same engine.. driveline. Ie for safety needs same test as a lcv van or hgv van. Not every company can spends all its life loaded to maximum weight..
    People are clearly straying well wide of the original ops post..
    And yes I'm well knowledgeable about all the above vehicle classes.. as I'm a qualified hgv mechanic.. only with 30 years experience..
    Happy motoring all

Let's put a few FACTS on the table here.

The vast majority of motor caravans are based on the FIAT Ducato. Upper-end models usually have the rear FIAT chassis replaced with an Alko AMC chassis which can facilitate a GVW of up to 4.5t or even 5.0t, but the front end is still bog standard Ducato.

The average annual distance covered for a motor caravan is between four and five thousand kilometres, commercially operated vehicles can cover that distance in a week.

The new owner of an untaxed vehicle is not liable to pay for untaxed period prior to purchase.

Owners of motor caravans have no issue with complying with EU Regulations on the Roadworthiness Testing of Motor Vehicles

As regards the three months CVRT remaining to get tax, I think you're mixing that up with needing 3 months remaining on your passport if your'e going to The U.S.

Finally, no one has explained the road safety logic or rationale behind the issuing of a six-month certificate following a test in which safety checks under all 48 (LGV) or 55 (HGV) headings in the relevant testers manual are carried out, a rule which does not apply to the NCT

Jesus I wonder just how ye campervan owners even manage to fill up yer diesel tanks..
    Happy motoring all[/QUOTE]

So you have no interest whatsoever in campervans except to gripe that we are getting a better deal than you as you say suck it up.
    You have shown that you know shag all about vehicle classes , They have been explained to you several times and still you persist in saying my camper is a hgv.
    You claim 30 years in the hgv industry but your level of trolling is more in line with a thirteen year old. Please up your game or stay away from forums that have nothing to do with your interests. thats my final word to you.

good job i never mentioned my nct exempt '79 car oops! he'd have a fit lol

No issue whatsoever with owners of vintage vehicles or camper Van's..
    But everyone on here posting seems to fully support the ops ORIGINAL issue with only getting 6 months test..(short test) and certain posters that are looking from a safe distance which don't cloud our judgment can clearly see that unfortunately the op caused his own problem by presenting his camper for test midyear. .. if both the op and all his loyal supporters feel hard done by.. why don't he appeal his grievance to the rsa..they will swiftly point out his self made error..in which they were quite correct to only give him a short test.. come the summer when he heads back for test given that his van passes again he will then get full 12 months..
    Also yes tax renewal is now linked with the cvrt test.. and if we at work try to renew a commercial vehicles road tax a month prior to cvrt the online system will not allow... just saying I don't make the rules.. and no its nothing to do with a passport.. any other issues please feel free to PM me..
    Sorry to all the canvassers but in this instance the rsa were correct to issue short test.. they have lots of literature at the cvrt centers its quite clear some customers need to read more and complain less.
    Safe motoring

• Advertisement

TURBO you really need to go to specsavers or a shrink as you can't see what i originally wrote.i never said i took the van for mid test and you are the only one that hasn't actually answered correctly.
    the rsa never issued a short test AS I HAVEN'T TESTED THE CAMPER YET.
    i think you need to do what you put in the last sentence "read more and complain less"

bugstinas you might think someone with hymac in their name might know when to stop digging.

zambo wrote: »
    bugstinas you might think someone with hymac in their name might know when to stop digging.

to true.probably been on the sherry all day

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsbCgNuj6v1wlQaIvgNRqGTWwypc34m9xduEVkSUhthvlfqlAM

[Please refrain from character accusations in a technical discussion]

........................... they were quite correct to only give him a short test.. ........................the rsa were correct to issue short test.. .............................

Would Turbohymac, or anybody, please explain why this is necessary and what it has got to do with the road safety or lack of it of the tested vehicle.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

DOE today, and it passed with flying colours.

Tester is still scratching his head at my 000 HCppm reading......again, two tests

in the last 3 years, and with 3k+ miles up on last tests. I said his machine is fekked.

he said its the most up to date available, and calibrated. I said it makes me the

best T25 mechanic then that money can buy :D:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

kadman wrote: »
    DOE today, and it passed with flying colours.

Tester is still scratching his head at my 000 HCppm reading......again, two tests

in the last 3 years, and with 3k+ miles up on last tests. I said his machine is fekked.

he said its the most up to date available, and calibrated. I said it makes me the

best T25 mechanic then that money can buy :D:D:P

Did you fit a dummy exhaust 😠or maybe it was too high to be read 😜

Was it running on lpg?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

All stock 1.9 petrol dg engine on Pierburg 2E3 carb.

Its definitely too high to be read on startup, like them all:)

After 2 minutes, clean as a whistle, but surely it has to show something

on readout.

Tester said he has never seen a 000 reading. Myself, I think there is something

amiss with the equipment, but I am not one to complain:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone heard of a camper being refused on the Ferry (Irish Ferries - Dublin - Cherbourg) for an out of date CVRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Can I remove the bulkhead from my van and still pass DOE?

I don't use it as a work van, wouldn't ever be tools in it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Itineoman

No. There’s no place for them to look for it. Check in counts the number of passengers, registration number and passports. That’s all. Can’t see why they would have any interest in anything else. But I think it would be very unwise to travel without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks Itineoman, we had a cert but no window disc. All went well.

Advertisement