Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Tax and Reclaiming Tax

• 22-09-2007 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have been working since the 30th, and decided to wait a bit to deal with the whole emergency tax thing, but now I decided I might as well go about getting it sorted out now rather than waiting later.

I have my p45 from my previous job, plus two(yellow) letters were sent out to me two weaks ago. Does anyone know what I have to do..thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Yer tax should come back in your next paycheck.

www.revenue.ie has the info on reclaiming tax or just ring them and inquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Ok so I have been working since the 30th, and decided to wait a bit to deal with the whole emergency tax thing, but now I decided I might as well go about getting it sorted out now rather than waiting later.

I have my p45 from my previous job, plus two(yellow) letters were sent out to me two weaks ago. Does anyone know what I have to do..thanks.

I think you need to give your P45 to your new employer, the will send it off to your tax office and refund issued back to you in your wages i think

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

I started a new job a few weeks ago and being crippled by emergency tax. I don't have a P45 from last full time job as company gone bust and also i have been working off the books for the past two years in previous employment. Any suggestions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You need a certificate of tax free allowances, called a 12A
    Could be wrong, I think that's what it is

Call your local revenue office and they'll get you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

micmclo wrote: »

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Rockfish wrote: »
    I started a new job a few weeks ago and being crippled by emergency tax. I don't have a P45 from last full time job as company gone bust and also i have been working off the books for the past two years in previous employment. Any suggestions??

no prob. if for eg you get fired/laid off/quit in November and start a new job in Feb you dont necessairly need your P45 as its a new tax year. sadly the process can be longer tho.

Do you have a P45 from your last employer that you paid tax with? if so you can still hand this in to your new employer and continue as if nothing ever happened.

If you dont have a P45 you will need to contact your nearest PAYE office on www.revenue.ie and contact them with your PPS no and your employers registration number. they will then send you out a tax cert,a copy of which will also be given to your new employer who will put it throught the process.

once you have done either of the above you will get your tax back in your paypackey within 3 weeks max.

as for not paying PAYE for the last two years the tax man wont know of it unless you tell him as far as your record is concerned you fell off the face of the planet for 2 years.

you only need this if its your first PAYE job,if you registered once no matter how many years ago all it takes is a phone call to update your file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Spot on Gerrycollins but Rockfish isn't clear if they've ever had a P45 from any employer. I reread it a few times

The P12A seemed a fast way to sort it but your info is better :)

Spot on Gerrycollins but Rockfish isn't clear if they've ever had a P45 from any employer. I reread it a few times

The P12A seemed a fast way to sort it but your info is better :)

i know doesnt look like any P45 but might as well put it out there in case they come across one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

does anyone know where i should send my P12A?
    it says send to your local tax office but i dont know where that is and i cant find it online!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

First of all, just FYI your P45 is only valid for the current tax year, so if you were made unemployed in previous years then it is no good.

Secondly, your P45 is not the be all and end all of your tax! It is not really necessary to have it update your tax status. Simply get your employer PAYE registration number - your payroll department will have this to hand. Once you get this, ring your local tax office with your PPS No. Advise them that you have recently started work and do not have your P45. Give them your PPS no, your employer details and PAYE number. They can update your file there and then. They will then automatically send an updated cert of credits to your new employer. As soon as this is done you will be taken off emergency tax and taxed at the correct rate.

It still amazes me how many people wait and wait and pay emergency tax unneccessarily. There is no need to be passive - you do not have to wait for your P45 to arrive to sort out your tax. In many cases employers are very slow to do this - if you were to wait for them you would pay emergency tax up the ying yang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭irish_bhoy09

i started a job on the 1st of oct,but i didnt have a p45 so my new boss got me to ring the tax office so i wouldnt be on emergency tax,taught that was grand
    only got one pay slip since i started and it has tax code w on it,dunno what it is
    dont think its emergency tax?

Advertisement