Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feedback Thread for the GAA Forum 2020:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Paddico wrote: »
    Most Rugby and soccer forums have match threads, player threads, under ages threads etc. When I say soccer I'm even talking about LOI clubs with lots of contributors. See Shamrock Rover or CCFC forums for example.

Here we have two sports and everything under that merged into one county.
    No decent GAA forum out there.
    Time for expansion?

There are several individual county threads that get quite a lot of traffic. When games on they are either discussed in the main league or championship thread, except the all.irleand which gets it's own match thread.

Dont see the issue in doing things this way, how and why would you expand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

dobman88 wrote: »
    There are several individual county threads that get quite a lot of traffic. When games on they are either discussed in the main league or championship thread, except the all.irleand which gets it's own match thread.

Dont see the issue in doing things this way, how and why would you expand it?
    Some of the individual county threads do get a lot of traffic but individual match threads can generate more traffic and you dont have case where you have discussion of matches across different county threads.
    You can have build up in individual match threads from when teams are named and then just move back to the individual county threads or competition thread when game is over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Just FYI, individual match threads are certainly allowed. And anyone can set them up prior to a game. There were quite a lot of them 5-10 years ago but, for whatever reason, posters stopped setting them up and all discussion migrated to the general championship threads.
    So come the new season, I'd definitely encourage people to create separate match threads for games of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭kksaints

Some of the individual county threads do get a lot of traffic but individual match threads can generate more traffic and you dont have case where you have discussion of matches across different county threads.
    You can have build up in individual match threads from when teams are named and then just move back to the individual county threads or competition thread when game is over.

The soccer forum has moved away from match threads the last few years. Only the national team matches and the really big matches such as finals and United vs Liverpool get them now outside World Cups and Euros.

Fair enough. I always wondered why a match thread was never set up but I kind of got used to just following things in league and championship threads.

I'm sure there's nothing against someone setting up a match thread.

• Advertisement

Just FYI, individual match threads are certainly allowed. And anyone can set them up prior to a game. There were quite a lot of them 5-10 years ago but, for whatever reason, posters stopped setting them up and all discussion migrated to the general championship threads.
    So come the new season, I'd definitely encourage people to create separate match threads for games of interest.

When the all Ireland was on this year, someone set up a match thread for it. Personally, I didnt want to use that thread because it was always going to descend into Dublin money advantages etc.etc nonsense. And it did.

The main championship thread, which I was quite happy to keep using for the all Ireland final along with others I'm sure, was locked by a mod.

So if a match thread gets set up, will you keep locking threads while the games are on? Cos that makes no sense imo.

I'd like to see the main threads left open for those of us that want to use them.

kksaints wrote: »
    The soccer forum has moved away from match threads the last few years. Only the national team matches and the really big matches such as finals and United vs Liverpool get them now outside World Cups and Euros.
    But thats enough. Even just the biggest games get a separate thread. Leave the general threads to that. General discussion of the championship and the aftermath of the games.
    When the all Ireland was on this year, someone set up a match thread for it. Personally, I didnt want to use that thread because it was always going to descend into Dublin money advantages etc.etc nonsense. And it did.

The main championship thread, which I was quite happy to keep using for the all Ireland final along with others I'm sure, was locked by a mod.

So if a match thread gets set up, will you keep locking threads while the games are on? Cos that makes no sense imo.

I'd like to see the main threads left open for those of us that want to use them.
    Yes that can happen but you simply lock the thread and the general thread will keep going as normal.
    You can have the general thread to build up to games and then just have the game thread from when the teams are named to a day or two after the game when a lot of people have moved on and discussion will simply migrate to the countys own threads or the general competition thread

Yes that can happen but you simply lock the thread and the general thread will keep going as normal.
    You can have the general thread to build up to games and then just have the game thread from when the teams are named to a day or two after the game when a lot of people have moved on and discussion will simply migrate to the countys own threads or the general competition thread

Think you may have misinterpreted what I said. I wouldn't like to see the main thread locked while the game is on. I don't care much about specific match threads personally, even though I can see the benefit for people to discuss a specific match, so would like to keep the main thread open while games are on and not locked like it was for the AI last year.

Think you may have misinterpreted what I said. I wouldn't like to see the main thread locked while the game is on. I don't care much about specific match threads personally, even though I can see the benefit for people to discuss a specific match, so would like to keep the main thread open while games are on and not locked like it was for the AI last year.

I never said the main thread should be locked during a game. Having all discussion for the entire competition shouldnt be limited to the main general thread.
    The problem is many people solely use the general all ireland 2020 football discussion thread to discuss everything to do with the competition or they use their counties threads which are overwhelmingly used by just 1 counties supporters.
    Individual match threads can get the discussion going from more users IMO

I never said the main thread should be locked during a game. Having all discussion for the entire competition shouldnt be limited to the main general thread.
    The problem is many people solely use the general all ireland 2020 football discussion thread to discuss everything to do with the competition or they use their counties threads which are overwhelmingly used by just 1 counties supporters.
    Individual match threads can get the discussion going from more users IMO

Yeah, and I agree with that.

• Advertisement

It would've descended into that regardless of which thread the match discussion was in.
    I'll admit it took us too long to clamp down on that talk after the final. It was a bit of a nightmare as I've a young baby at home so moderating was a bit difficult, Rebelgirl was busy during the match, seligehgit is a Mayo man and it's not fair to expect him to moderate the thread while watching his team (and also, we avoid moderating threads that involve our own counties to stop us being accused of bias). The only active mod left was ShamoBuc who can only do so much.

In the new season, I'd expect the general thread to stay open but any discussion of matches that have their own thread (if there are any) would be sent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Is there a policy in place to deal with people who feed the trolls? I've seen a few threads derailed by idiots/trolls but part of the reason they go to hell in a handcart is that people who should know better continually interact with the goofs. I don't like seeing potentially interesting conversations or discussions basically strangled by people egging on trolls.

Well I find the moderation on the GAA forum grand, and dare I say it fair. But I was politely asked to not post on the Mayo thread - no cards last month sometime. Where they mentioned Dublin so I gave my opinion on the relevant posts. Nothing excessive trolling or anything. Yet the vibe from the mod was 'we don't like your kind around here'. It did not seem very jovial and 'good natured' in atmosphere.

I noticed the Mayo thread (for example) seem to talk a lot about Dublin and some say such things and say directly or indirectly, that Dublin fans are gougers which passed without comment from the moderator. Stuff like that does not seem very 'GAA' to me.

Personally, I get the impression that some GAA threads like to have the vibe of 'regulars only', which is unfortunate. As personally I welcome comments on matches from people from opposing counties on games. They would know the up and coming players in their county. Giving their take on the game. Or going on about players or clashes with a county from years ago.

It would be a shame if GAA fans are allowed to mix freely when matches are back, but yet there is division in the virtual world of boards.ie.
    Generally we threadban posters when their posts (usually in another county thread) are winding up others. This may not be because they're deliberately trolling (so we don't issue cards), but simply to get discussion back on track and avoid pages and pages of pointless arguments which would drive regulars away. And I've done the same to posters on the Dublin thread in the past. It's mentioned in the charter that county threads are treated differently than general threads on the forum and the rules on "trolling" are much tighter.
    RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Do we need a gaa thread where we can talk about anything? I want to discuss the news that the final was watched by 870k but didn't see a suitable topic on the home page.
    I think one was set up years ago but it kind of drifted away as people stopped posting in it. I don't see any reason why another one couldn't be created.
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Didn't realise as I've switched off from the forum. Good idea though to be fair.

The biggest problem for me is the re-regs. Doesn't seem to be any control over it.

Year after year, lads get banned, mostly in or around the time Dublin are playing.

And then the following year, mostly in or around the time Dublin are playing (coincidentally) up pop new users to the forum to have their say. Clear as day, anti Dub rhetoric/agenda and can spot it a mile away.

Good luck tidying up this place. It's cesspit.
    Unfortunately with reregs, our ability to catch them is limited. If we spot them simply from our experience, we need to report them to the admins who have more tools at their disposal to catch reregs. There have been times where we are 100% sure of reregs but nothing shows up in the admin tools. As a result, we sort of have to grin and bear it. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.
    Having said that, we have gotten numerous re-regs banned over the years. Sometimes it's also a case of allowing them post enough for the admins to have enough concrete evidence that they've re-registered.

grbear wrote: »
    Is there a policy in place to deal with people who feed the trolls? I've seen a few threads derailed by idiots/trolls but part of the reason they go to hell in a handcart is that people who should know better continually interact with the goofs. I don't like seeing potentially interesting conversations or discussions basically strangled by people egging on trolls.
    Depends really. There's sometimes a fine line between trolling and a controversial opinion. However, for the obvious trolls (for example, posters going onto county threads specifically to gloat after a victory), there's nothing in place for posters that respond. But, as a mod, it's exceptionally frustrating when a poster trolls and no-one reports it but heaps still respond. Some posters don't seem to realise that we don't (and can't) read every single post on the forum. At the busiest times, we could be getting hundreds of posts every hour, so we rely on reported posts.

It would've descended into that regardless of which thread the match discussion was in.
    I'll admit it took us too long to clamp down on that talk after the final. It was a bit of a nightmare as I've a young baby at home so moderating was a bit difficult, Rebelgirl was busy during the match, seligehgit is a Mayo man and it's not fair to expect him to moderate the thread while watching his team (and also, we avoid moderating threads that involve our own counties to stop us being accused of bias). The only active mod left was ShamoBuc who can only do so much.

In the new season, I'd expect the general thread to stay open but any discussion of matches that have their own thread (if there are any) would be sent there.

Fair enough. And that's where the zero tolerance approach must come in. Any post like that should be moved to the Dublin dominance thread to stop other threads descending into the usual stuff.

Its overall an enjoyable forum with pretty fair moderation. But with everything, the few have potential to ruin it for the many

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

The Dublin issue (one of the biggest issues facing the GAA) is already restricted to one thread. I presume this occurred because of a large number of complaints. These complaints kicked off in this thread from the second post and it has dominated the thread since. I'm sure some people go too far in their criticism of Dublin's advantages but there are 2 sides to this. You wouldn't realise that reading this thread.

I propose some other restrictions which might assist things on this forum. Blatant untruths should be confined to individual county pages. So, for example, if someone from Cork wanted to claim that their jersey wasn't red, they could do so but only on their county page. If proof can be shown that their jersey is, in fact, red, then they are restricted from posting that on another thread.

Basically, if posts can be shown to be untrue, then they shouldn't be allowed to repeat that post. It would increase the quality of posts on this forum I believe, as people would have to provide evidence for their claims.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Enquiring wrote: »
    The Dublin issue (one of the biggest issues facing the GAA) is already restricted to one thread. I presume this occurred because of a large number of complaints. These complaints kicked off in this thread from the second post and it has dominated the thread since. I'm sure some people go too far in their criticism of Dublin's advantages but there are 2 sides to this. You wouldn't realise that reading this thread.

I propose some other restrictions which might assist things on this forum. Blatant untruths should be confined to individual county pages. So, for example, if someone from Cork wanted to claim that their jersey wasn't red, they could do so but only on their county page. If proof can be shown that their jersey is, in fact, red, then they are restricted from posting that on another thread.

Basically, if posts can be shown to be untrue, then they shouldn't be allowed to repeat that post. It would increase the quality of posts on this forum I believe, as people would have to provide evidence for their claims.

Restricting the 'Dublin Issue' to one thread was necessary as some posters were in many threads, derailing them. That won't be allowed to happen again.
    Yellows will, be issued and bans applied if necessary.

Untruths, can be biased opinions, opposite opinions, poor opinions, deluded opinions, trolling etc
    We are here to discuss. All opinions are welcome, even ones of opposing views. If a line is crossed, report the post and let the Mods take a look.

Over 100 years ago, the Cork Jersey was indeed, not red.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Restricting the 'Dublin Issue' to one thread was necessary as some posters were in many threads, derailing them. That won't be allowed to happen again.
    Yellows will, be issued and bans applied if necessary.

Untruths, can be biased opinions, opposite opinions, poor opinions, deluded opinions, trolling etc
    We are here to discuss. All opinions are welcome, even ones of opposing views. If a line is crossed, report the post and let the Mods take a look.

Over 100 years ago, the Cork Jersey was indeed, not red.

I don't have a problem with the Dublin issue being confined to one thread. Just to note that there are 2 sides to it. Those complaining about others having legitimate concerns about a certain topic derail threads also.

Just say someone from Cork continued to claim that their jersey wasn't red despite having not worn a different colour jersey in many years, we all just nod along to keep them happy? If someone was claiming that the world was flat on other forums, would they be let continue to post that? I'm not sure, just thought it was a good idea to try to improve standards of posts. If that's not a popular view, that's fine by me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I don't have a problem with the Dublin issue being confined to one thread. Just to note that there are 2 sides to it. Those complaining about others having legitimate concerns about a certain topic derail threads also.

Just say someone from Cork continued to claim that their jersey wasn't red despite having not worn a different colour jersey in many years, we all just nod along to keep them happy? If someone was claiming that the world was flat on other forums, would they be let continue to post that? I'm not sure, just thought it was a good idea to try to improve standards of posts. If that's not a popular view, that's fine by me.

As I said, if a post needs reporting, report it.

I was just making a suggestion, feedback for this forum was requested. I didn't think suggestions were being rejected without any discussion? Anyway, I will report posts if necessary, thanks.

• Advertisement

I was just making a suggestion, feedback for this forum was requested. I didn't think suggestions were being rejected without any discussion? Anyway, I will report posts if necessary, thanks.

You made a suggestion, I gave feedback. Twice. Hardly rejected.

Others are open to give feedback too of course, as is the nature of the thread.

You made a suggestion, I gave feedback. Twice. Hardly rejected.

Others are open to give feedback too of course, as is the nature of the thread.

To be fair, this reads like a full stop on the matter:

But yes, if anyone has any alterations to my idea, I'd love to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You've posted about it more often than anyone else on this thread. Fact.

You've posted about it more often than anyone else on this thread. Fact.

Correct. So he has made his point. There won't be a need say it again.

If you have any other feedback on the GAA Forum in general, post away.

To be fair, this reads like a full stop on the matter:

But yes, if anyone has any alterations to my idea, I'd love to hear them.

That is your interpretation. I gave my feedback. Others are welcome to too.

Let's move on.

That is your interpretation. I gave my feedback. Others are welcome to too.

Let's move on.

Fair enough.

Bumping this for the last few days of the month in case anyone has missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

(1) I think the lack of huge amounts of critical feedback demonstrates that the forum is well-run, thanks to the mods, but also to the self-restraint and behaviour of most posters. Can't say that about every forum on here.

(2) The Dublin discussion is tired, the disparity in funding has ended, it was there, it is gone, the focus should be on other counties and what they can do to improve themselves rather than non-stop griping. Confining it to one thread is a great idea as it tends to stifle and take over every other discussion - it even took up too much time in here.

(3) Match threads are a good idea. Some counties get parochial about their own thread, and that isn't a bad idea, having somewhere to joyously celebrate with others of a similar outlook is a good thing as is somewhere to soothe the broken heart. Such threads should be closed two or three days after a match, otherwise it would end up with endless arguments over minor incidents.

So well done to everyone for an enjoyable place to come and post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Many thanks to all for their constructive feedback.

An Off Topic thread for discussion of all matters not relating to GAA will be put in place.

To reiterate posters are always welcome to set up a match thread for any contest of their choosing.

The main championship thread will remain open as per posters wishes whilst match threads are in place.

The sanctioning system as outlined will come into use on the March 1st 2020 to allow posters to become aware of same.

1 red card = 2 yellow cards

4 yellow cards in a calendar Year = 48hr ban
    5 yellow cards = week long ban
    6 yellow cards = 2 weeks
    7 yellow cards = 3 weeks
    8 yellow cards = 1 month
    9 yellow cards = 2 months
    10 yellow cards = 3 months

A yellow card is automatically applied if a poster quotes/replies to a moderator instruction.

A yellow card is automatically applied if a poster posts post a threadban.

The forum charter will be amended to take account of these changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The most thanked post on the thread was mine saying that sanctions were too lenient. I don't care either way as I'm only an occasional poster on one thread but it seems the whole exercise was redundant if nothing is changing.

Advertisement