Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NPWS Reminder on submissions for derogation 2021

Options
  • 07-01-2021 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

This is just a reminder for anyone who wishes to make a submission or observation that may be considered by the minister before the derogation rules for 2021are set in stone and also to try avoid the fiasco that occurred last year in relation to pigeon control.

The current declarations made by the Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht allowing for the control of certain wild bird species are due to expire on 30 April 2021. These declarations were made by the Minister in exercising powers conferred under Section 3 of the European Communities (Wildlife Act, 1976) (Amendment) Regulations 1986 (S.I. No. 254 of 1986).

The effects of the declarations are to allow the control of certain wild bird species by landowners or their agents where these species are causing serious damage to crops, livestock, fauna or where they represent a threat to public health, throughout the State. A separate declaration is made to allow the control of certain wild bird species by airport authorities or their agents throughout the State where these species represent a threat to air-safety. A link to the current Declarations is below.

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/eu-birds-directive-derogations

As part of the annual review of the declarations, the Department (now the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage) is seeking views on the operation of the declarations during the current period. Any proposal to amend the declarations should be accompanied with appropriate documentation to support the proposal.

Accordingly, any comments/proposals you may wish to make should be submitted to the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage via e-mail (WildBirdDeclarations@chg.gov.ie) by 5.00pm on Wednesday 20 January 2021

Or post to:

Wildlife Licensing Unit

National Parks and Wildlife Service
    Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht
    90 North King Street
    Dublin 7 D07 N7CV

Mark Submissions: “Wild Bird Declarations”

Please note all submissions must include the full name and address of the person making the submission and where relevant the name of the body or organisation represented. Confidential or commercially sensitive information should be clearly identified in your submission. However parties should also note that any or all responses to the consultation are subject in their entirety to the provisions of the FOI Acts and may be published by the Department.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Thank you sincerely for posting this. It's a pain making these submissions but we need to make sure we're represented.

A few minutes making this submission to the NPWS is worth a thousand posts complaining about the derogation on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I think we should make a case about using crow & magpie decoys.

1. It seems silly that if there is a pigeon attack then pigeon decoys can be used but if there is a crow attack then crow decoys cannot be used!!!

2. Decoys can be used when hunting pigeons, duck & geese.

3. Under derogation, hunters are permitted to use a LIVE bird as a decoy (Larsen trap) to attract crows but cannot use a plastic decoy!!

4. In the UK., who were under the same EU laws and derogations, hunters were permitted to use crow decoys - so why not here?

I've just made my submission. Here it is, if you want any inspiration for your own submission. Let's make sure more of us make submissions so we are represented and to ensure there are no nasty surprises in the derogation this year.

Wildlife Licensing Unit

National Parks and Wildlife Service
    Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht
    90 North King Street
    Dublin 7 D07 N7CV
    Re: Wild Bird Declarations

Dear sir/madam,

Please find my below comments and observations on the wild-birds derogation.
    Firstly, I would like to address the necessity of the continuation of a year-round derogation for the shooting of woodpigeons, to prevent serious damage to arable crops. Last year the derogation initially excluded June, July & August for the protection of crops by shooting. This caused a huge amount of stress for farmers to whom I provide wildlife management services. I am aware the that a permission may be issued under section 42 of the wildlife act 1976 amended. The use of a section 42 permission is largely ineffective for the following reasons: pigeons move quickly from one farm to another decimating the crops, it is likely that serious damage will be caused before a section 42 permission can be exercised, the section 42 permission is specific to a particular farmland. As such, those protecting crops must make multiple applications as serious damage to crops is caused.

By maintaining a year-round derogation in the case of woodpigeon causing serious damage to arable crops, farmers will be empowered to protect their livelihoods and pest controllers will be better positioned to perform their duties. The use of the derogation for the woodpigeon is the most equitable solution because it ensures that woodpigeons will only be controlled to prevent “serious damage” to arable crops. Woodpigeon numbers are estimated to be at 2.8 million and the species is not of a conservation concern in Europe or Ireland so the culling of the species for the prevention of serious damage to arable crops will not affect the health of the species (NPWS, 2018, pp.33).
    Secondly, I would like to outline the necessity of a year-round derogation for the control of Rooks and Jackdaws to prevent damage to livestock feedlots. Under the current derogation Rooks and Jackdaws may be shot with a rifle or shotgun from the 1st of November 2020 to the 30th of April 2021, to prevent damage to livestock feedlots (NPWS, 2020, p.3). An increasing number of my clients (farmers) are supplementing their cattle with feed from the June to October. This is because of more intensive farming practices; poor quality grazing land and poor beef prices requiring heavier animals for farmers to make a decent livelihood. Given these changes in farming practices, farmers and pest controllers require a year-round derogation for the shooting of Rooks and Jackdaws to prevent damage to livestock feedlots.
    I have applied for a permission under section 42 of the wildlife act to prevent serious damage to livestock feedlots for the months outside of the derogation. Although NPWS staff were most helpful, Rooks and Jackdaws caused a large amount of damage before the permission could be issued. Also given the mobile nature of these birds, Rooks and jackdaws tend to move to other farms once shooting begins. This is problematic as the section 42 permission is specific to a particular farmland.

Given the above rational, I am requesting the implementation of a year-round derogation for the shooting of Jackdaws and Rooks to prevent damage to livestock feedlots.

Thirdly, I am requesting that the use of artificial decoys be permitted to aid in the shooting of Magpies, Jackdaws, Hooded Crows and Rooks. Currently the use of decoys for shooting woodpigeons, geese and ducks is permitted under the wildlife act 2000. The prevention of the use of artificial or stuffed decoys to aid in the control of Magpies, Jackdaws, Hooded Crows and Rooks appears nonsensical. The minister may make provision for the shooting of Magpies, Jackdaws, Hooded Crows and Rooks over decoys under the “methods of control” in the birds derogation. The use of artificial decoys deceives the birds to come in closer to the pest controller. This allows the pest controller to execute a more precise shot, leading to the humane dispatch of the animal. This slight alteration to the derogation would greatly help pest controllers perform their job more effectively and humanely.

Given the above reasons I am requesting that the shooting of Magpies, Rooks, Jackdaws and Hooded crows with the aid of artificial decoys be permitted as a method of control under the birds derogation.

The pigeon man.....That is an excellent submission.

Are you a member of NARGC?....if so sent this submission to them also ...to enable them to raise it in talks.

Send to: John Butler, NARGC Youth Development Officer and Training & Education Sub Committee

john-butler@hotmail.com

I also sent a submission in about the use of decoys.

J.R. wrote: »
    The pigeon man.....That is an excellent submission.

Are you a member of NARGC?....if so sent this submission to them also ...to enable them to raise it in talks.

Send to: John Butler, NARGC Youth Development Officer and Training & Education Sub Committee

john-butler@hotmail.com

I also sent a submission in about the use of decoys.

I'm not a member of the NARGC but it's important that anyone involved in fieldsports makes a submission. You can be guaranteed the vegans and anti hunting crowd will make plenty of submissions. When we stand together as a community we are very strong.

Even if you don't shoot birds listed in the derogation it's important that you make a submission to re-enforce the importance of this derogation, so farmers can protect their livelihoods and pest controllers can do their jobs.

Remember what happened last year with the pigeon shooting. We don't want something like that to happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Submission sent loosly based on your submission Pigeon man. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Done

Thanks for the info mcbain087

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Where do Fox's and mink fit in to the scheme of things here? As in who gives the say about controlling them.

Where do Fox's and mink fit in to the scheme of things here? As in who gives the say about controlling them.

Are they not classified as vermin whereas all corvids were classified as protected wild birds under some EU stipulation

Interesting. I suppose rats are in the same category.

• Advertisement

It might be a case of them needing to be listed as protected wild animals to be protected and no, rats wouldn't be on the list either.

Rats, foxes and mink are not protected wild animals. So you can just shoot them away year round day or night.

All wild birds are protected under EU law. So we need a derogation every year to shoot them.

In my opinion it's stupid that a rook or magpie is protected when their conservation status isn't at risk.

Who would have the authority to put a protection order on vermin if the need arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Who would have the authority to put a protection order on vermin if the need arose.

Some faceless EU beuracrat whose view of outside field work is what they can see drom their office in downtown Brussels?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I suppose.

Species classed as vermin which can be shot throughout the year:

MAMMALS:

fox, rabbit, mink, rats, mice, grey squirrel, feral goats & muntjac (with suitable rifle calibre).

BIRDS

All bird species are classed as protected.

There are some exclusions - scenarios when birds can be shot:

1. Game birds can be shot in season ........pheasants, woodcock, duck, geese, snipe, grouse & partridge.

2. Rook, greycrow, jackdaw, magpie & pigeon can only be shot, under E. U. Derogation, if causing damage to crops, fauna, animal feeds etc.

Pigeons are the only bird that have an open season, like game, & can also be shot under E. U. Derogation.

This message is from NARGC

NPWS Derogations Review

The NPWS have extended the time for submission on this very important issue.

If you missed the deadline in January - The door is still open.

They gave no explanation for this late extension. We will demand transparency around this decision.

See Below extract from the NPWS website, on this extension.

News

Extension to Deadline in relation to the Control of Certain Wild Bird Species
    Date Released: Thursday, January 28, 2021

The National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) of the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage has extended the deadline for members of the public to forward comments/proposals in relation to the control of certain wild bird species.

The new deadline date for comments/proposals to be submitted to the Department is Friday February 19th 2021 at 5pm.

A consultation notice regarding this, including details on where to send submissions, was published on the NPWS website on 16th December 2020.

The current declarations, made by the then Minister for Culture, Heritage & the Gaeltacht, allowing for the control of certain wild bird species are due to expire on 30 April 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

four days to get it in..

Advertisement