Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport - Google Earth

• 04-01-2021 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hey all,

I Was recently looking for ei-cjd on Google earth just to see where it was now with all the construction work going on. Number 1 I couldn't find it, is it gone? Number 2 I couldn't see a single airframe on the field, have they all been taken off Google earth or was the airport actually empty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

dashoonage wrote: »

Exactly it, no sight of it on Google Earth though, or any other airframe.....at all. Using the android app but Shannon and Belfast have a few dotted about but Dublin looks abandoned

FR85 wrote: »
    Exactly it, no sight of it on Google Earth though, or any other airframe.....at all. Using the android app but Shannon and Belfast have a few dotted about but Dublin looks abandoned

Every gate available! 🀔

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dashoonage wrote: »

Edit: why is there a big drawing of a plane on the ground?

That's a fire training area so I'd presume its used for specific training exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Google Maps has been deleting non-static objects from their maps for a few years now, there are a number of examples of airports appearing totally empty.

JFK and MCO are the same.

Strangely, I can still see parked aircraft on my phone map apps but not on my desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

FR85 wrote: »
    Number 2 I couldn't see a single airframe on the field, have they all been taken off Google earth or was the airport actually empty?

They combine lots of different photos from different angles to create the 3D model, these would all be taken at different times. I’m guessing anything that’s not there in all the images is removed as it’s not seen as permanent.

If you go to the city centre, you’ll see there’s almost no traffic even though the shadows suggest the images were taken near midday. Mostly buses remaining, I’m thinking maybe the shape of them makes the computer think they’re buildings? A few other vehicles appear, for example under the trees along the quays. I’m guessing these were visible on the only image that can capture that angle, there’s no “empty” image of that area for the computer to replace them with as other angles would be obscured by trees and buildings etc.

faoiarvok wrote: »
    They combine lots of different photos from different angles to create the 3D model, these would all be taken at different times. I’m guessing anything that’s not there in all the images is removed as it’s not seen as permanent.

If you go to the city centre, you’ll see there’s almost no traffic even though the shadows suggest the images were taken near midday. Mostly buses remaining, I’m thinking maybe the shape of them makes the computer think they’re buildings? A few other vehicles appear, for example under the trees along the quays. I’m guessing these were visible on the only image that can capture that angle, there’s no “empty” image of that area for the computer to replace them with as other angles would be obscured by trees and buildings etc.

Just looked there and you are bang on, if only traffic was like that all the time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

She's still there on my google earth, image date from earth is June 2018

Advertisement