Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sawducks Movie Walrus - World Premiere

Options
  • 20-12-2020 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

Ladies and gentlemen you are cordially invited to the World Premier of Sawduck's Movie Walrus which will commence on Monday 21st of December at 8.00pm, so grab your popcorn, your maltesers and whatever beverage you would like.

We have ourselves an epic all star cast including some of the biggest names on the boardsie scene and they have selected an assortment of incredible movies from all different genres.
    Here is a quick reminder of the categories
    1.Something Old - A movie made before the year 1980
    A friend of mine once said " Old movies are rubbish" he is of course a fool, so let us all prove what a fool he is by selecting some great movies before the year 1980.

2.Something New - A Movie from the year 2000 onwards
    There have been many wonderful movies released in the last 20 years, send me one of your favorites from this era

3.Something Borrowed - Something borrowed from another source. The Movie should be borrowed from one of these, a famous book, a comic, a video game, a movie that was originally a TV Show or a remake of an earlier Movie. There are so many options for this one.

4. Something Blue - A movie to cure the blues
    2020 Has left most of us with a case of the blues, so for this category I want a movie that will cheer us all up and put a smile on our faces

And now introducing the amazing cast

Starring

Irish Aris
    Spook_ie
    Kolido
    ShaneU
    Reberetta
    JP Liz V1
    Necro
    Purgative
    mustang shelly
    the purple tin

And Also Starring LeVar Burton

Who will walk away the winner, tune in Monday night as we get the first round started. The Something Old category is up first and there are some great selections here including two of my all time favorites, unfortunately there was at least one movie i did not enjoy.

(This is my first walrus so the chances of me screwing it up are very high indeed :pac:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sawduck wrote: »
    And now introducing the amazing cast

Starring

Irish Aris
    Spook_ie
    Kolido
    ShaneU
    Reberetta
    JP Liz V1
    Necro
    Purgative
    mustang shelly
    the purple tin

I approve of how this list has been presented, and this is how I wish to be introduced for all future games... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I approve of how this list has been presented, and this is how I wish to be introduced for all future games... :D
    Seems like he's saying the rest of us are amazing and you're not :pac:

ShaneU wrote: »

I mean, I don't disagree with that sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Looking forward to this. You might want to promote it on your sign up thread and new games tread, I almost missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Kolido wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. You might want to promote it on your sign up thread and new games tread, I almost missed it.

I'll do that, thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ruh Roh. Cannae remember my entries :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

ShaneU wrote: »

I read it that Levar had already won. Thought am I tuning in for an acceptance speech. :o

Who will walk away the winner,

The top four and the bottom 3 were easy enough to place, the ones in the middle were difficult to place. The top two are two of my all time favorite movies and could of only been beaten by something special

These following 3 movies would have won it

This would of beaten everything

These next 3 movies would of scored high but wouldn't have beaten the top two ranked movies

Everyone has sent in at least one movie i liked, so even if you score low in this first round, don't be discouraged because anyone can win the overall game

At least
    We'll always have Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm trying to remember my nominations :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Never saw seven samuria or white heat, but those other 4 are crackers.

Although Good, bad, ugly is more critically acclaimed, I do prefer For a few dollars more.

I had considered Seven Samurai as my nomination for this one. Probably should've gone with it. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

For future reference, where do you movie walrus hosts find the films that people submit for your games?

I always thought that if you found the right firm (Netflix et al) you could do away with the dvd collection, but that never seems to work.

I always use this as a test:

Night Boat to Dublin 1946
    (not a great film but Robert Newton, B&I, spies, Dublin, Nazis - its a comfort film)

Almost ready to go, like most other walrus reveals i will begin with the entries that ranked in the middle, leaving the bottom and top 3 until the end to create a bit of suspense.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Lads.... Don't post links to illegal streaming sites.

In 8th place with 4 points is
    mustang shelly

The Great Escape (1963)

Heard of it: Yes
    Seen it: Yes
    Overall score 8.1
    A war movie that involves no war. It is a story about a bunch of American and British solders imprisoned in a POW camp by the Nazi's. It is a fairly long movie coming in at just under 3 hours but because of how enjoyable it is it feels shorter. It features an iconic cast including Richard Attenborough, James Coburn, Charles Bronson and of course the star of the show The Cooler King himself Steve McQueen. McQueen's character wins over the audience with his charisma and his tenacity to escape this prison at any cost. He is also involved in perhaps the film's most memorable moment, the bike jump, which McQueen wasn't allowed to do himself so he had his friend do it instead. The escape scene itself is also great
    My Favourite thing about this movie - The legendary theme which i'm sure everyone has heard, even if you've never seen this classic movie

In 7th place with 5 points is
    Spook_ie

Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Seen it: Yes have it on DVD
    Overall score 8.2
    A gem of a movie, unfortunately this round is so great that even a great movie like this places somewhat low. Directed by Stanley Kubrick, but it doesn't really feel like a Kubrick film. It stars the always funny Peter Sellers in about 20 different roles, his most famous is the title character Dr. Strangelove a wheelchair bound German doctor who is a bit quirky. Even though Sellers is the star of the show other great actors shine too, including George C. Scott, Slim Pickens as the brilliant Major Kong( a role that was written for Sellers) and Sterling Hayden as Jack D. Ripper. This movie is also notable for being James Earl Jones first ever movie. This movie sees Sterling Hayden's character order his men to bomb the Soviet Union. Unable to reach out to the bomber planes the president of the USA reaches out to Soviet leaders and warns them of the incoming bombs, the soviets in turn inform the Americans that they have a doomsday device that will detonate automatically if they are bombed. They are so many hilarious moments in this movie and the ending is an all-time great, accompanied by Vera Lynn's haunting song We'll Meet Again.
    My favourite thing about this movie - All the Peter Sellers roles, there are 3 in total, and all 3 are hilarious

In 6th place with 6 points is
    Irish Aris

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Heard of it: Hasn't everyone
    Overall score 8.4
    A classic movie and a delight to watch at anytime. I loved this movie as a kid and i would rewatch it so much. Every kids dream was to visit a chocolate factory after watching this, but speaking as someone who once worked in a factory, it isn't all that good, but i have never worked in a chocolate factory maybe they are more exciting and have Oompa Loompa's singing and dancing, who knows. I still don't understand why they had orange faces, are they related to Donald Trump? Gene Wilder stars as the factory owner and plays a blinder as the charismatic and entertaining Wonka. The first part of the movie has the world in a frenzy as they search for a golden ticket to win a trip to Wonka's factory. After all the tickets are found the five winning kids and their guardian take a journey through Wonka's extraordinary factory, a trip that doesn't end well for everyone. A fun movie that will entertain adults and children alike.
    Favourite thing about this movie - A tie between gene wilders willy wonka character and the great songs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

If Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) is only in sixth, then bottom three is an inevitability for my choice.

• Advertisement

In 5th place with 7 points is
    ShaneU

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Overall score 8.6
    This is a movie i have seen a few times now but never get tired of watching. Al Pacino is in fine form here as he teams up with fellow Godfather actor John Cazale, who only appeared in 5 movies before he died, but 5 amazing movies. Together they plan a bank robbery but things quickly escalated and they find themselves surrounded by police and it turns into a hostage situation. The media descends to the bank entrance and Pacinos character Sonny quickly becomes a hit with them due to his loud personality and entertaining antics, his fellow robber Sal is the opposite of sonny, he is quiet and reserved, his only interaction with the hostages is to tell one of the women she shouldn't smoke. This was based off a real event and the man whom pacino is portraying praised his performance as realistic.
    My favorite thing about this movie - Al Pacino's deliverance of another fantastic performance

I'm not feeling confident on this round with such heavy hitters making up the middle of the pack.

Reberetta wrote: »
    If Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) is only in sixth, then bottom three is an inevitability for my choice.
    I'm not feeling confident on this round with such heavy hitters making up the middle of the pack.

Oh, we might get detention :(

Purgative wrote: »
    Oh, we might get detention :(

I never got detention because I was always good at talking myself out of any trouble I got into at school, but I always imagined it would be exactly like The Breakfast Club

In 4th place with 8 points is
    JP Liz V1

Little Big Man (1970)

Seen it: No
    Overall score 8.8
    Of the few movies in this category that i hadn't viewed before, this was easily my favorite. It was made at a time where most Hollywood movies portrayed native americans as savages and rarely showed them in a positive light, this movie however not only shows them in a positive way but has the united states Cavalry as the vicious villains. This is a fantastic and very entertaining western adventure movie starring Dustin Hoffman who is raised by the Cheyenne people after his parents are murdered, despite being an outsider he is accepted as one of their own. At one point Hoffman's character says I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian, and it made me think how awesome it would be as a young kid to actually become one of the Indians. This is a fun movie but it was also brutal at times, one prime example was when the Cheyenne people were just minding their own business, they are ambushed by the US soldiers who slaughter men, women and even children. This was an excellent pick and a movie i will rewatch in the future.
    My favourite thing about this movie - the acting by both Dustin Hoffman and Chief Dan George who was nominated for an oscar

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I never got detention because I was always good at talking myself out of any trouble I got into at school, but I always imagined it would be exactly like The Breakfast Club

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've seen all the picks before so far, all great films too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Like Jay in Clerks says - what kind of an a**hole would actually turn up to detention on a Saturday? :D

Ahh you youngsters had it easy. Detention was the soft option. That's what you talked yourself into, instead of laps of the field or some other shoite.

• Advertisement

So that means the bottom 3 and top 3 belong to the following people

In alphabetical order

Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Kolido
    Necro
    Purgative
    Reberetta
    the purple tin

Advertisement