Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Walrus: LeVar Goes to the Pictures: The Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Such as? You mean like Parodies? Depends on the film itself I suppose... I dunno.

giphy.gif

Mel Brooks etc.,?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Mel Brooks etc.,?

I can't say at this time... wouldn't want to spoiler anything about that which may have been submitted... aka. there is a Mel Brooks film in the mix, so no comment ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Looking at the quality and selection of the films that I know which are on here already, I'm optimistic that there'll be some great recommendations in this.

Which is just as well because there have been NO films made this year and I have a feeling films in future will be adjusted to reflect covid (haha jk, nothing could happen in those films).

See ye all later!

Might kick off slightly earlier than 7pm this evening, sometime between 6.30 and 7 would be more accurate.

Here's three films I might've gone for for Killer Soundtrack (opted for three here in which the trailers also heavily feature the music)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

i don't think i want to attend the reveal for this....

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »
    i don't think i want to attend the reveal for this....

You say that with quite a few Walrus' and then you always show up anyway...

giphy.gif

You say that with quite a few Walrus' and then you always show up anyway...

giphy.gif

Don't make fun of my addiction you!

Don't make fun of my addiction you!

This is a safe space tusk. I suffer from the same addiction.

Safe...

Until I read your reviews of my entries :pac:

Safe...

Until I read your reviews of my entries :pac:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought I was the only fan of Tom Cruise's Rock of Ages

I actually wasn't arsed tidying up or editing my reviews, so you'll be getting the full unedited, unfiltered, raw reaction review, written directly after watching each film, undoubtedly full of spelling and grammatical errors, and most likely contradicting things I said in other reviews in the exact same round, but f**k it, it's more fun that way.

giphy.gif

Coming up in about an hour.

GO!

Preparing for a trailer extravaganza the likes of which I've never experienced before.

Right feck this, I'm ready to go, you all ready to go?

Starting of with The Horror reveal...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

In 7th place with 7 points is
    s1ippy

Midsommar (2019)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8772262/

Have I Seen it Before: No

LeVar's Approval Rating: 69%

I really enjoy this f*cked up Wicker Man type sh*t, and loved the concept for this. I had been meaning to watch this for awhile but the two and a half hour run-time always put me off a bit, so was glad I had a reason to sit down and actually sit through it. It was definitely creepy, and has disturbing moments, which was good, but would've liked if they'd gone even further with it, delved a bit deeper into the community itself, shifting to their perspective a bit more, instead of constantly seeing everything through the eyes of the outsiders. Thought the cast were great, and there was some great imagery and stand out scenes, but overall it felt a bit too long for what it was, and it did get to a point where I was checking how much longer was left. Enjoyed it, but unfortunately I have to find reasons to rank films higher or lower than others here, and the bloated length dragged this one down for me just a little.

In 8th place with 6 points is
    the purple tin

Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465522/

Have I Seen it Before: Yes

LeVar's Approval Rating: 66%

I had seen this a couple of times before and I've always enjoyed it, but I feel a lot of the great Horror Comedies that have come out since (Cabin In The Woods, Housebound, The Final Girls, The Babysitter, Happy Death Day, etc) have leant much more into the Horror side of things, while Tucker & Dale kept much more to the comedy side of things, and this time around it didn't just have the same appeal for me as it once did, in comparison to others in that sub-genre. I still really like it, just feel it could've gone much much darker without losing the humour, and as I've mentioned already, I need to be slightly nitpicky in order to separate the pack a bit. As a subversion of the Hillbilly horror though, it's really clever, and the various deaths are a lot of fun. Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine are excellent as Tucker and Dale, and I don't think I'm simply being biased just because I've long been a fan of both actors, they really nail the roles perfectly. Katrina Bowden does a grand job too, and even though he chews the scenery a bit too much, I do enjoy Jesse Moss as the villain of the piece. The remainder of the cast however do drag down my enjoyment a bit though, some of their line delivery is woeful, at best their performances are hammy, and at worst they're just really bad. Taking all that into consideration it'd be hard to justify ranking this above any of the films above it, but still very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Looking forward to this category. Need something to make my desensitized soul feel fear again.

In 6th place with 8 points is
    Irish Aris

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162661/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 74%

I was convinced I had seen this one before many years ago, but a few minutes in I realised I had been getting it mixed up with From Hell. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit more than I had initially thought I would ; think I had it in my head that it would be a lot tamer than it actually is. Its still quite tame compared to the majority of the other films in this category, and it never came close to scaring me, but a solid outing all the same. Gothic horror done right is great and the trifecta of Tim Burton, Danny Elfman, and Johnny Depp, make a really good job with it. Elfman's score is absolutely superb as always, and I've always been a fan of Tim Burton's aesthetic, which I feel is at its best here. The overall package didn't necessarily wow me or blow me away, but I've nothing negative to say about it either, and liked it a lot, so really good choice.

In 9th place with 5 points is
    Kolido

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3289956/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 52%

I was really really liking this at the start, it had so much potential to be a great film about the horrors humans can commit on other humans, and I was fully invested in that narrative, but then it went full on supernatural and I was extremely disappointed in the direction the film took. My attention started waning around that point, and the film went from being potentially one of the best entries in the round to falling back towards the back of the pack. Towards the end my interest was piqued again slightly, but I felt they should've done a bit more with it. It was a case of trying to do many things, throwing in too many horror tropes, and nothing really landing… for me anyway. I don't think it's a bad film, it's very watchable, I think a lot of people would get a kick out of it, it just lost me by appearing to be one kind of movie and then going in a completely different direction - like having the rug pulled out from under me right as I'm hitting my stride in a dance off. It was nice to see Emile Hirsch again though, glad to see he's still working ; he seemed to be in a lot of things in the '00s and then just disappeared completely (although apparently that's just from my perspective, because according to his IMDB he's been working steadily all along, and wasn't in as many films in the '00s as I thought he was).

• Advertisement

In 5th place with 9 points is
    ShaneU

Ringu (1998)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0178868/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 82%

I can't remember ever sitting down to watch this, although I think I may have seen the US remake ; I'm familiar enough with the concept through parody and homage in any case. I genuinely enjoyed the uncomfortableness and build-up in this, because really sweet eff all actually happens in the majority of the film ; there's not a lot of action or a huge amount of dialogue either. Its more about atmosphere and creating a sense of foreboding than any actual horror, but it nails that sense of foreboding really well. I really like the cinematography and the simplicity of it all, and there's some really beautiful shots. Ultimately though, I'm always just quite enamoured by Japanese culture which definitely works in Ringu's favour here. Not to mention, Nanako Matsushima and Hiroyuki Sanada both have a great screen presence and I'd happily just watch them go about their mundane daily routines for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I'm not feeling confident about mine anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

In 8th place with 6 points is
    the purple tin

Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465522/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 66%

I had seen this a couple of times before and I've always enjoyed it, but I feel a lot of the great Horror Comedies that have come out since (Cabin In The Woods, Housebound, The Final Girls, The Babysitter, Happy Death Day, etc) have leant much more into the Horror side of things, while Tucker & Dale kept much more to the comedy side of things, and this time around it didn't just have the same appeal for me as it once did, in comparison to others in that sub-genre. I still really like it, just feel it could've gone much much darker without losing the humour, and as I've mentioned already, I need to be slightly nitpicky in order to separate the pack a bit. As a subversion of the Hillbilly horror though, it's really clever, and the various deaths are a lot of fun. Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine are excellent as Tucker and Dale, and I don't think I'm simply being biased just because I've long been a fan of both actors, they really nail the roles perfectly. Katrina Bowden does a grand job too, and even though he chews the scenery a bit too much, I do enjoy Jesse Moss as the villain of the piece. The remainder of the cast however do drag down my enjoyment a bit though, some of their line delivery is woeful, at best their performances are hammy, and at worst they're just really bad. Taking all that into consideration it'd be hard to justify ranking this above any of the films above it, but still very enjoyable.

This was a good fun choice

I'm not even re-reading these reviews as I put them up, so apologies again for any mistakes or errors, and some of these are about to get harsh, but don't take it personally, I know nothing about anything really... ;)

In 10th place with 4 points is
    RasTa

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2326554/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 36%

I was looking forward to seeing what the Iranians had to offer in this one, and being a black and white vampire film I was hoping maybe it'd be something Nosferatu-esque. I'll give it full marks for style, it looks great and there's some amazing shots in there, all of the mirroring, stalking, and skateboarding scenes are fantastic. There's very little substance though, and it just failed to connect with me. I did think Sheila Vand was great as the Girl, but I just wish she had something fleshier to sink her teeth into (pun intended). The score and soundtrack can definitely add a lot to a film like this, but the music was very hit and miss for me personally ; on a couple of occasions it would add to the imagery, but more often than not it fell flat. Look, at the end of the day, it's an arthouse film and there's people who'll rave about how great this is, it's certainly not bad, there was aspects I really liked, but it just wasn't for me.

In 4th place with 10 points is
    JP Liz V1

Drag Me To Hell (2009)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1127180/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 86%

This one definitely exceeded my expectations, as I can find Sam Raimi's direction to be a bit hit and miss at times, so didn't have particularly high hopes going in to it. It was a helluva lot of fun though, and I can easily see myself sitting around with a group of friends for a movie night, knocking back a few beers, and we'd all have a ball watching this. Having worked in more than a few public facing jobs in my time, the filthy old person hacking up their lungs into a manky tissue while stood in front of you and cursing you to high hell when you can't adhere to their every demand, hit close to home and gave me the heebie jeebies (no one uses that expression enough anymore), so the premise was definitely appealing. The acting is a bit cheesy, but I like Alison Lohman enough from the cancelled-far-too-soon sitcom, Tucker, to overlook that. Justin Long was as bland but unoffensively fine as he always is, I'm never expecting anything groundbreaking from his performance, so was prepared to be indifferent to him - didn't take away from the film anyway. Some of the special effects lean too much on the cartoon-y side to be in any way scary, but thats Raimi's style and it worked well overall. Solid choice.

A Girl Walks Home - great shout, very obscure, probably give it a watch :D

Drag me to Hell - I fancied the pants off yer one when I was young so watched that when it came out. Its a bit of fun.

In 11th place with 3 points is
    Sawduck

REC (2007)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 28%

I really don't enjoy shaky cam found footage films like this. I think it's a terrible gimmick kickstarted by The Blair Witch Project that has just been done to death, and wasn't something I found interesting to begin with. My biggest problem with that sub-genre is you can't see what's going on most of the time and you'd get a headache from all the bouncing around the camera does. I had seen this one before with some friends a few years ago and to give it its dues, of all the shaky cam found footage films, it's probably the most bearable of them, has a solid enough premise and if it were filmed in another format I would probably enjoy the story, because I do like a well executed zombie flick. The fact that its in Spanish (I enjoy foreign languages) earns it a few brownie points too. Jump scares don't really work for me, you can see them coming a mile off, and I just find them lazy ; on occasion they can be put to good use in other films, but they're to be expected with shaky cam and therefore have no affect on me. Best of a bad sub-genre, but still not enough to drag it up any higher here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I'm not even re-reading these reviews as I put them up, so apologies again for any mistakes or errors, and some of these are about to get harsh, but don't take it personally, I know nothing about anything really... ;)

I think you made a mistake with mine, you placed it 9th.

• Advertisement

In 3rd place with 11 points is
    fixXxer

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365376/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 91%

This was class. Every time I thought I kind of knew exactly what was going on, they'd throw something else at me that'd leave me scratching my head. I'm still not entirely sure I understood absolutely everything that happened, and when you're confused and the brain is focused on figuring out the problem, is exactly when jump scares (albeit used sparingly) and horror in general works effectively ; strike while the viewer is alread disoriented. I wasn't cowering behind the couch or anything, but I defintely had a sense of uneasiness throughout which is the next best thing. Honestly, as soon as I saw this was a South Korean film, I figured I was in for something good - they tend to do horrors and thrillers really well. Can't fault this at all, it was beautifully shot, a solid story, there was a mystery, it was creepy throughout, actors did a great job, it was in a foreign language, ticks all the boxes for me. Just preferred those ahead of it just a tiny bit more.

Advertisement