Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horse Drawn Carriages Ban Chicago

Options
  • 28-04-2020 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Horse drawn carriages are after been banned in Chicago, will this ever take place in Dublin ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Delighted. Would love to see the same in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/25/us/horse-drawn-carriage-chicago.html
    The horse-drawn carriage industry has been shrinking for years. The city now has 10 carriage licenses that will expire at the end of the year, The Chicago Tribune reported. At one point, it had 60 licenses available, according to The Associated Press.

Chicago joins a handful of other cities that have already banned horse-drawn carriages, including: Salt Lake City; Biloxi, Miss.; Camden, N.J., as well as Key West, Palm Beach, Pompano Beach and Treasure Island, Fla., according to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. In Montreal, horse-drawn carriages were prohibited starting on Jan. 1, 2020.

For years, animal rights activists have called the carriage-horse industry abusive and cruel but supporters have argued that the horses are treated humanely and the carriages are a romantic link to history, provide jobs and appeal to tourists.

So there it is, the animal rights activists got their way. And I suppose I do agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭bmc58

Chinasea wrote: »
    Delighted. Would love to see the same in Dublin.

Would like to see them licenced and insured all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thread title is misleading, should say
    "Chicago Ban Horse Drawn Carriages"

as I was expecting some sort of equine uprising against us mere 2 legs.

bmc58 wrote: »
    Would like to see them licenced and insured all over Ireland.

That would be a "racist" measure unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thread title is confusing. I read it as the horse drawn carriages banned Chicago - got me thinking wtf did Chicago do on the carriages! ?

GBX wrote: »
    Thread title is confusing. I read it as the horse drawn carriages banned Chicago - got me thinking wtf did Chicago do on the carriages! ?

Pfft, that was SO 17:04.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GreeBo wrote: »
    Pfft, that was SO 17:04.

I refer you to the Virgin Media outage/lag issue of April 2020! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm sure they were better looked after than in some other countries offerring horse drawn tours or indeed by our own home grown horse lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

in what way were the horses not treated well?

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »

Just according to Peta nutters. If you look at an animal it's cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

To be honest I think its really cool having horse drawn carriages in Dublin as long as there a working horse, My next door neighbors do that for a living. Why would any one limit some ones right to working. first the flower sellers on Grafton street next horse drawn carriages. I think there should be a governing body that makes sure the horse's are well looked after but banning no. These people have a right to earn a living and taking it away from them is disgusting.

Its also a huge part of Irish culture.

in the way tha they had carriages attached to them I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Bull fighting is supposedly part of the Spanish culture, but that doesn't make it right.

As for the street traders on Grafton Street and Moore Street. It seems all very sewn up to me. Time new licences were handed out to more diverse and new traders.

Ultrflat wrote: »
    To be honest I think its really cool having horse drawn carriages in Dublin as long as there a working horse, My next door neighbors do that for a living. Why would any one limit some ones right to working. first the flower sellers on Grafton street next horse drawn carriages. I think there should be a governing body that makes sure the horse's are well looked after but banning no. These people have a right to earn a living and taking it away from them is disgusting.

Its also a huge part of Irish culture.

Did slave owners have a right to earn a living also?

The right to earn a living doesnt outweigh someone or something elses right to freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It explains it in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

in the way tha they had carriages attached to them I guess

That isnt cruel is it?:confused: is show jumping cruel as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

The right to earn a living doesnt outweigh someone or something elses right to freedom.

So does that mean the army and Garda shouldn't have horse's?

Does that mean a farmer shouldn't have a working dog or generally multiple working dogs? Does that mean that customs shouldn't have working dogs?

You seem to be in the ideology that you understand animals better then me. I grew up in a house where working animals were cared for a treated very well. Also a poorly looked after horse doesn't last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

biko wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/25/us/horse-drawn-carriage-chicago.html

So there it is, the animal rights activists got their way. And I suppose I do agree.

The animal rights people will have a tougher time over here because the main market for it are very special and protected ethnic minority and not a commercial industry with a whiff of capitalism off it. They'll have to get through their own cognitive dissonance in order to treat it equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Horse drawn carriages, Dublin style.

• Advertisement

You sound like the kind that doesn't have any pets because that would infringe on their "freedom".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Chicago is cancelled

I have seen some of the places these owners keep their horses.
    I'm sure they do love them, but it made me sad to see them in their stables.
    Stables in the city centre, down little roads, no outdoor space, confined to sheds & garages 'converted ' to stables.

I'm not making any big animal rights statements, but I think if most people saw where the horses were, they would agree to ban the horse drawn carriage in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I really wish they'd do the same in Dublin. I've seen poor horses being jogged around in heavy traffic at rush hour sometimes. Also saw a a horse with one of those trailer things on them being raced up and down Ballybough in Dublin a few months ago, that's about a 10 min walk from O'Connell st.
    And then you have travellers leaving horses to die and racing them on motorways. They need to end this savagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

That isnt cruel is it?:confused: is show jumping cruel as well?

oh don't start them...

Advertisement