Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

We need to talk about Daryl Hannah's bum!

• 27-04-2020 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

This was always going to happen and now it has - the Disney have been erm, touching up the backside of Hannah's mermaid in Splash to make the film even more family friendly.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1254702863147769856
    There is a shot of Daryl Hannah diving into the sea, having just kissed a dumbstruck Tom Hanks. In the 1984 original, Hannah’s blond hair just about covers her naked bottom; in the new version, that hair has been digitally extended to cover her entire buttock area – and badly at that. It looks as if she is wearing a hairy skirt. A forgotten 80s comedy may not be the hill most cinephiles would choose to die on, but we should still be concerned. What else is being altered without our knowledge?

Splash is not forgotten is it? It was one of a clutch of Touchstone releases (Disney for PG cert and above) that helped save what is now a mega movie corporation from going bust in the early to mid 80s.

What's next? digitally removing the incesteous implication of Big? Little Miss Sunshine's spandex and bikini clad 10-12 year old girls being digitally dressed in a baggy onesie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mad isn't it :p
    But isn't there a bit at the start of the movie where you see her arse full on more so. I guess they removed that too? .... off to disney plus i go! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The editing of existing films from he back catalog is one of the reasons i will not subscribe to disney +.

I think its wrong of the company to go back and remove scenes or digitally alter the films in ways which are contrary to the original intentions of the directors, producers etc.

Whilst this is an example of it, there are plenty of other changes people have spotted in other content.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

As a slight aside - Daryl Hannah is married to Neil Young now. The boy done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So for pure scientific reasons ( :pac: ) I loaded up Splash on Disney Plus. It opens with a black screen and white text that says "This film has been modified from its original version. It has been edited for content"

So around the 25 minute mark you see Daryl kiss Tom and she jumps in the sea as harry says. It doesn't look the worst as nothing can beat Supermans mustache :p The hair does not move tho as she full on sprints.
    As for the real good scene (yes, i am a pervert) when she arrives on Liberty Island they zoom in so only her lower back is shown. In the original her bare butt was on full display. I even remember RTE showing this years ago one Saturday afternoon with no cuts.

Guess Disney don't wany any sort of nudity on their family friendly platform. Even if it means going back and editing/adding cgi.

boo. boo i say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Hoop66

As a slight aside - Daryl Hannah is married to Neil Young now. The boy done well.

Is he that Korean fella?

• Advertisement

Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
    Well I heard ol' Neil put her down
    Well I hope Neil Young will remember
    A southern man don't need him around anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

First it was Song of the South, now this...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Not unique to Disney. When ET was remastered the iconic scene at the end with the flying bikes originally showed the police holding shotguns but this was digitally edited to show them holding police radios instead.

As for Disney's revision of their titles, the song in Pocahontas where the colonists and the natives are getting ready to go to war had several lyrics changed between releases. Both versions are available on youtube. The original had some inflammatory terms in it.

ETsidebyside.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I never knew if I had imagined this but I remember years ago watching the Simpsons and Homer was trying to remember Marge's bday and said something like - "Well Barney's birthday is April 20th, same as Hitler's...", but then in later years that episode I think he said Lady Di instead of Hitler - anyway I was right I googled it and it was changed!
    If I remember correctly, didn't Darryl Hannah also get her tits out in Splash?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Darryl Hannah has the most gentle voice I ever encountered, she's very introverted and quirky.

Met her once at a private gathering in Los Angeles, a very unassuming person who's in the limelight but likes talking to odd ball's like myself :)

Sometimes it helps not being a normie and sticking out from the herd is always a good adventure...I never fitted in..

I remember my first day in school, felt like the teacher was talking to everyone else and I was just dropped out of the sky...

All alone, obviously I was an easy target...

Same on board's it feels lonely not getting likes or thanks, being spoken over lol ignored not heard...

SOS

Anyone there...heloooo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread has put this in my head again. Seems only fair to share! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

That's a pity, Daryl Hannah's bum is only part of that film I remember!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

OSI wrote: »
    I can't tell if this a cry for help or a humblebrag :confused:

A humble brag I'd say, thanks for the head's up.

I don't like bragging but I think you caught me there.

I do other work outside of my day to day work and sometimes I bump into actor's and artists.

It all started at a big garden party back ten years ago at a friend's house in North Clare, a friend through fly fishing actually.
    Rocked up that evening to an unassuming hermit artist evening party, he told me I might meet people who are a bit shy and I might know some of them to see.
    I just thought they were locals I'd meet in the village of Kinvara or Ballyvaughan.

But no I felt a bit out of my depth, but I got talking to some and more, they liked my dark quirky sense of humour and it took off from there....

You don't have to be from Foxrock or Dalky to be hanging out with actor's and famous musicians, actually the majority of these people prefer down to earth characters rather than snobs and wannabe z list knob jocks...

Meeting Darrell Hannah was through another venture...

Fame ain't all that I'm told... they prefer to just do their own thing with their families and friends etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The human body should be accepted for what it is, Disney shouldn't be ashamed of it.
    Family friendly...yet in some countries families swim naked, go together naked to saunas etc.
    It is our natural form.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I agree but there is nothing i can do to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx6Tn8sRInU

so is this joke staying or going?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

They have made shite of the simpsons too :mad:

Thread got me curious, so found this website, that displays the differences between the original and Disney+ versions of Splash. I can kind of understand why they cropped her ass out and what have you, though it does seem slightly over the top considering it's just an ass and it's not in a sexual context or anything. Seems a bit mad to me, but again, I can see why they did it. It is full on ass crack.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=765444

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Thread got me curious, so found this website, that displays the differences between the original and Disney+ versions of Splash. I can kind of understand why they cropped her ass out and what have you, though it does seem slightly over the top considering it's just an ass and it's not in a sexual context or anything. Seems a bit mad to me, but again, I can see why they did it. It is full on ass crack.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=765444

I do ultimately think its an ass , every child knows what an ass looks like , it should not be up to disney to censor this there should be a warning on the movie indicating some light nudity and leave the parents and age rating determine suitability.

Revisionist censoring is a negative for all involved in the industry. Whats next ? We digitally remove Kevin Spacey from the Usual Suspects and replace him with a more wholesome Mark Whalberg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

All this editing and Donald Duck still doesn't wear pants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Top class arse on her in Kill Bill Volume 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

razorblunt wrote: »
    All this editing and Donald Duck still doesn't wear pants!
    Bugs bunny neither ..and he is so suggestive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Does Disney own Indiana Jones now? Imagine that scene where god smites the Nazis with face melting at the Ark of the Covenant but censored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

She was absolutely gorgeous..I mean proper, unadulterated gorgeous....
    she's nearly 60 now..has and a bit of "Hollywood necessary" botox..but still a fantastic looking woman..
    used pop up on the Hawaii 5-0 remake from time to time... only reason to watch it :)
    think if I could get her bare arsed..& wearing an eye patch..I'd be in heaven

Advertisement