Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Affordable Housing and Pajama People

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

New dwellings must comply with the latest building regulations, which is part of the reason they're 'nice'. Would people be happier if we had a suite of 'lesser' building regulations which only applied to social housing?

Solar panels and electric car charging points are part of the latest regulations?

In that case, yes I would be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ich liebe Berlin

Be grateful you don't have to serve them at a supermarket checkout in the midst of a global pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

49c fruit and veg and you can get a decent size chicken for about €3.50 and a kilo of mince for the same price but these people "can't afford to feed the kids" while they keep takeaway delivery drivers in a job or spend more money than fresh food costs on frozen pizza and processed sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

49c fruit and veg and you can get a decent size chicken for about €3.50 and a kilo of mince for the same price but these people "can't afford to feed the kids" while they keep takeaway delivery drivers in a job or spend more money than fresh food costs on frozen pizza and processed sh1te.

Be grateful you have someone to look down on.

But we're told the Government doesn't build social housing??

The government only builds social housing. Affordable housing is no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Be grateful you have someone to look down on.

What an odd reply.

I'm not royalty or a Michelin star chef but it's not hard or expensive to knock up a nutritious meal these days.
    When you see people day in,day out getting chipper food delivered and in the pyjamas all day it's hard not to be judgemental.
    Even a bit of basic pride would suggest that people would decide to get dressed in the morning. It's not a herculean task.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

What an odd reply.

I'm not royalty or a Michelin star chef but it's not hard or expensive to knock up a nutritious meal these days.
    When you see people day in,day out getting chipper food delivered and in the pyjamas all day it's hard not to be judgemental.
    Even a bit of basic pride would suggest that people would decide to get dressed in the morning. It's not a herculean task.

Why do people bother being judgement? why do you even give a fk? if people want to have pj parties out the street they can have at it so long as it doesnt involve me i could care less what other people do.

People these days especially people that think they are "successful" seem to wander around looking for things to be offended by, get your nose in ur own soup and dont worry about jacinta and her pjs you ll be happier.

Country is in the middle of a pandemic, and yet people are worried about someone wearing pjs outside... ffs..

How much of the above castigation is actual observation and how much is prejudicial conjecture? I would say it is very easy to form a stereotypical profile in your minds eye and then project your expectations onto that entity.

It's also not yours or my place to say when anyone should get dressed. Personally I don't own pyjamas so when I get out of the shower I get dressed. However, my wife owns several pairs of pyjamas, she works rotation shift work and in this fine weather will get up out of bed, grab a cup of coffee and take it outside to drink it while checking her messages before hopping into the shower to get ready for work. That could be at noon or at 6pm.

It's a huge prejudicial brush you are painting "these people" with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Cupatae wrote: »
    Why do people bother being judgement? why do you even give a fk?

Can’t speak for anyone else but as long as I’m paying for their lifestyle choices I’ll reserve the right to give a ****.

If they have an issue with that they can always stop sponging, get a job and start contributing like the rest of us.

Can’t speak for anyone else but as long as I’m paying for their lifestyle choices I’ll reserve the right to give a ****.

If they have an issue with that they can always stop sponging, get a job and start contributing like the rest of us.

What right do you think you have ? the pittance of tax you pay in the grand scheme of things but think you ve a divine right to go around judging everyone on social welfare as if you have a direct debit set up to there account or something.. give your head a wobble.

Ironically enough the exact prejudice you hold for a particular group, helps sustain the situation you are giving out about even if those people wanted to get a job how do they go about it? look at the opinion you and alot of others have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭misstearheus

*Follows Thread and gets Popcorn.*

the pittance of tax you pay in the grand scheme of things but think you ve a divine right to go around judging everyone on social welfare as if you have a direct debit set up to there account or something..

I don’t judge everyone on social welfare. Just those who choose not to work and sponge off the rest of us.

And It’s far from pittance. I’m handing well over 50% of everything I earn back to the government in one form or another. I do that while also funding my own lifestyle choices in their entirety so as long as other people choose not to work while scrounging off those of us who do, I’ll be judging the lazy useless feckers all day long.
    even if those people wanted to get a job how do they go about it?

I would imagine they could go about it the same way the rest of us got our jobs. It starts with actually wanting to work and contribute in the first place.

I don’t judge everyone on social welfare. Just those who choose not to work and sponge off the rest of us.

And It’s far from pittance. I’m handing well over 50% of everything I earn back to the government in one form or another. I do that while also funding my own lifestyle choices in their entirety so as long as other people choose not to work while scrounging off those of us who do, I’ll be judging the lazy useless feckers all day long.

I would imagine they could go about it the same way the rest of us got our jobs. It starts with actually wanting to work and contribute in the first place.

Fair enough, but dont be a coward about it, go up and say it to there faces not whinging on boards if it bothers u that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Fair enough, but dont be a coward about it, go up and say it to there faces not whinging on boards if it bothers u that much.

What good do you think that would do? How do you think that would end?

What good do you think that would do? How do you think that would end?

About as much good as threads like this, and the complaints on it.

This is a discussion site, where people are free to discuss and disagree in a respectful manner.

Sometimes we learn something, sometimes we don’t.

Nothing lost either way.

You don’t get to decide what we discuss or what opinion we hold.

If it’s all a bit close to the bone or upsets you then maybe it’s not the thread for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Don't get so upset, you might still some Monster energy on your pyjamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Jaysus the 1s in "pajamas" would more than likely have better spelling than yourself,

Very condesending post looking down on others did youre mother raise you like that? In youre well off private home?

Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jin luk wrote: »
    Jaysus the 1s in "pajamas" would more than likely have better spelling than yourself,

Very condesending post looking down on others did youre mother raise you like that? In youre well off private home?

Shame on you.
    Is you're post tounge in cheek?

Not your ornery onager

This is a discussion site, where people are free to discuss and disagree in a respectful manner.

Sometimes we learn something, sometimes we don’t.

Nothing lost either way.

You don’t get to decide what we discuss or what opinion we hold.

If it’s all a bit close to the bone or upsets you then maybe it’s not the thread for you.

Not at all close to the bone, im neither part of the "pj" brigade nor do i live in social housing, i even earn decent money! hell i wouldnt even be a fan of em! but what i loath more than them is the well off,full of it, privileged types that think they reserve a right to judge anyone. But would never have the spine to say it in person, only skulk around boards and the likes with subtle snarky comments.

But yeah nothing lost either way i guess! unless your the one at the receiving end of the cowardly passive aggressive "respectful" bashing threads.

• Advertisement

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Don't get so upset, you might still some Monster energy on your pyjamas.

Hilarious! 10/10

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not at all close to the bone, im neither part of the "pj" brigade nor do i live in social housing, i even earn decent money! hell i wouldnt even be a fan of em! but what i loath more than them is the well off,full of it, privileged types that think they reserve a right to judge anyone. But would never have the spine to say it in person, only skulk around boards and the likes with subtle snarky comments.

What if i'm someone who's just about scraping by? Can they throw judgement? I worked all my life so far, never had the dole. I had a mortgage and good job, which all fell apart after the last recession. Now I'm in debt for the forseeable, won't ever be able to get a mortgage again, living at home (which, I will admit, has just become the norm as it works out great for all involved), but still working (for a lot less) and contributing. But as I'm a single male, I get nothing.

Can I judge those who have generationally(?) never worked a day in their lives, nor want to? After all, they contribute nothing but get 'everything' for free, while I work full time + and pay taxes, and I won't even get a sniff of a housing list because I've no kids (I can be on it, but will never get one unless there's a surplus, which there won't be).

Again, be sure to not mix up those who are on the dole but actively looking and want to work, vs those who use it to fund their lives without ever intending on working and contributing. They are 2 very distinct groups, one are welcome to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The curious case of the pyjama people in the morning time.

What if i'm someone who's just about scraping by? Can they throw judgement? I worked all my life so far, never had the dole. I had a mortgage and good job, which all fell apart after the last recession. Now I'm in debt for the forseeable, won't ever be able to get a mortgage again, living at home (which, I will admit, has just become the norm as it works out great for all involved), but still working (for a lot less) and contributing. But as I'm a single male, I get nothing.

Can I judge those who have generationally(?) never worked a day in their lives, nor want to? After all, they contribute nothing but get 'everything' for free, while I work full time + and pay taxes, and I won't even get a sniff of a housing list because I've no kids (I can be on it, but will never get one unless there's a surplus, which there won't be).

Again, be sure to not mix up those who are on the dole but actively looking and want to work, vs those who use it to fund their lives without ever intending on working and contributing. They are 2 very distinct groups, one are welcome to it.

If it makes you feel better judge who ever you like its a free country, those are my opinions on it, they arent gospel and some might agree some might disagree it makes no odds to me.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I went to Wilton shopping centre once in my pyjamas out of sheer boredom when I was a patient in Cork University Hospital for a couple of weeks. Wilton SC is directly across the road from the hospital. I have multiple sclerosis and the left hand side of my body had completely stopped working so I couldn't dress myself. I wasn't meant to leave the ward so I couldn't ask for assistance from the nursing staff. It was an interesting experience. You would definitely be aware of the looks you were getting off people.

When I finished college in 2009 and I went straight to the back of the dole queue. After a few months of getting nowhere on the jobs front I took a work placement working nearly 40 hours a week for 9 months in exchange for my €188. As part of my work placement I went to the post office every afternoon with our office's post. There would always be people in their pyjamas in the post office collecting their €188. It was a bit disheartening coming out with the same money every week as people who couldn't be bothered to get dressed properly.

what i loath more than them is the well off,full of it, privileged types that think they reserve a right to judge anyone. But would never have the spine to say it in person, only skulk around boards and the likes with subtle snarky blah blah blah..

And yet here you are judging me for being a “well off, privileged type”.

Hypocrisy much ?

Btw, I’m neither. I do have a comfortable life which I’ve earned through hard work. I don’t have any 3rd level qualifications. I started working when I was 14 doing gardening and odd jobs for people. I haven’t stopped working since. My first “real” job after school was data entry, earning €50 a week. I could have cried when I got that first pay check but I kept at it till i could get a better job and have never looked back. I pay all my taxes and pay again for all the services you would normally expect to receive for those taxes, in part because those taxes also have to fund these wasters who choose not to work.

I will never look down on, or judge anyone who finds themselves ill or in hard times and who need a dig out from the state. Likewise I’m more then happy to see my taxes take care of the elderly and vulnerable.

But there is a significant cohort of people who, through their own choices, have never worked a day in their lives and have no intention of ever working. It’s not all their fault as we have a welfare system that’s way too generous at times and encourages this kind of sponging but that’s not an excuse because we could all choose that option but we don’t.

You might be happy to work half your week to fund these wasters and their lifestyle choices but I’m not and I have nothing but contempt for anyone who chooses that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Walked past the beautiful new Social Affordable estate of about 20 houses near my house.

Shocked to see 4 overweight women walking around in their pajamas at 10.40 am

I thought this behaviour was just a stereotype.

Shame as it looked like the estate was very nice.

Hoping it's just a Covid thing, but how can people do that?

Regularly see it in my area of Carrigaline at all hours and the estate I have to pass through to get on the main road is way above the national average for obesity both in kids and mammies, there's 130 plus houses nearby and only a handful of children involved in local GAA/ soccer from the general are( I know this as my son is involved in both plus tae kwon do)
    Some women even attend the post office dressed for bed- disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

Think he's just letting off steam,we each have a right to our opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Esel wrote: »
    Is you're post tounge in cheek?

I hope you meant that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why do people bother being judgement? why do you even give a fk? if people want to have pj parties out the street they can have at it so long as it doesnt involve me i could care less what other people do.

People these days especially people that think they are "successful" seem to wander around looking for things to be offended by, get your nose in ur own soup and dont worry about jacinta and her pjs you ll be happier.

Country is in the middle of a pandemic, and yet people are worried about someone wearing pjs outside... ffs..

Because people who eat nothing but takeaway end up obese and put a maybe strain on the health services

Because people who wear pajamas all day very likely contribute nothing to the running of these services

Because the people who are doing this are ruining their children's chances before they get started

The food example is a very simple one. Good can be got cheaply, it isn't hard to cook a decent meal, it doesn't take all day, yet the "easier" short term more expensive option is taken. Information is available everywhere these days. It's like smoking.

I am not offended by it, just saddened, they are impacting heavily on their children who are too young to know better.

Advertisement