Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thin external insulation for shared side passageway

• 02-11-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Considering external insulation on the house but house is midterrace with a shared side passageway running through the house and the house next door (see Edenmore Cresent on Google Street view for what the setup looks like).

Because of this the groundfloor has an external wall at the sidepassage. The normal thickness of external insulation plus finish (150mm+) is a problem here. Can you get thinner external insulation boards for this situation? I imagine it would be more expensive if it exists but would be okay for the relatively small area. Anyone had a similar issue? Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Aerogel

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

PIR insulation Bord will provide a much better thermal resistance than EPS. You should be able to bring the width down to 100mm or less and achieve similar u values

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

BryanF wrote: »
    Aerogel

Sorry to resurrect an old post but do you have any details on aerogel? I’m looking at using it and I am hoping to get some feedback from someone who’s already taken the plunge. Thanks

What do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

I’ve read that a Swiss firm is selling external plaster /render with Aerogel additives. They are also selling additives to paint which can be rolled on or applied with a paint gun. I have a cavity wall house and am too late in the renovation process to apply a standard external insulation System so I am investigating this as a solution, im thinking of using it both externally and internally on the outside walls. I was wondering if anyone had used it similarly and had feedback on both the experience and results. Also, what kind of price point it sells for? Thanks

• Advertisement

Never heard of this. Sounds a bit gimmicky. The aerogel I used was a 10mm sheet, it’s a silicate based matting type material with great insulation properties, ie 10mm if aerogel is ~equal to 50mm polystyrene (don’t have exact figures to hand). Btw any ‘insulation’ paint system I’ve seen to date has been complete BS.

Send me the link via PM and I’ll look into it.

Why is too late for EWI?

Advertisement