Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Typhoon Hagibis threatens Japan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

TAF for Tokyo Haneda airport, which sticks out into the western coast of Tokyo Bay and very close to Yokohama. Wind getting up to southerly 50 gust 70 kts from 09Z tomorrow.

Valid up to 12Z tomorrow.
    TAF RJTT 110505Z 1106/1212 01016KT 8000 FEW008 BKN015
    BECMG 1109/1111 4000 SHRA BR FEW005 BKN008
    TEMPO 1118/1200 2000 +SHRA BR FEW003 BKN005
    BECMG 1121/1200 08020KT
    BECMG 1209/1212 16050G70KT
    TEMPO 1209/1212 2000 +SHRA BR

Live data from the very dense Japanese station network here. All speeds are in m/s.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas/206.html?elementCode=1

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Can Typhoons (very low pressure) increase chances of earthquake activity?.

Nemesis wrote: »

No

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

HighLine wrote: »
    Stunning photo.. where do you find that imagery if you don't mind me asking?

http://agora.ex.nii.ac.jp/digital-typhoon/himawari-3g/clipping/

Latest image:
    20191011055000-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think the Scots may be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pauldry wrote: »

Why do you think that? Change of path/weakening?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

pauldry wrote: »

I wouldn’t be so sure, I think flooding might be a real issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,263 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Nemesis wrote: »

only if you nuke them ( sorry couldnt resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Villain wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be so sure, I think flooding might be a real issue!

Was looking that there could be up to 150 mm in that region Saturday/Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

only if you nuke them ( sorry couldnt resist)

Its only hurricanes you can nuke, not typhoons.

• Advertisement

Forgot the rains sorry Scotland but if they really wanted it played they could cover the pitch somehow n play. By Sunday it will be gone. But of course Japan want it cancelled

Anyways who cares. The best 2 teams in it await in quaters so Japs Scots or Us are all going home

Typhoon showing weakening. Eye gone but still a lot of destructive winds and rain in it. I still think it wont be half as bad as made out. Maybe 100mm of rain which Newport in Ireland survived about a year ago in 24 hours. Winds probably decreasing quickly after initially 75 knots on landfall

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just posting a link here to a real-time map of airport METARs in the region, will edit this post once I see what the link actually shows you.

https://www.aviationweather.gov/metar?zoom=8&lat=35&lon=140&layers=B00FFTFFFFFTT&plottype=model&scale=1&density=0&metric=false&decoded=false&taf=false

Okay, so it does show the area I wanted to zoom in on, if you want a wider view, just click on the -- symbol in the upper left corner.

(note if you want to use this link for other parts of the world, go into the URL and find "lat=" and "long=" where you can change those values to get the region you want. Remember that in this system, west longitudes have a minus sign, at the moment I have set it to long=140 for 140E long. And southern hemisphere latitudes would be negative also. And before those parameters is the zoom= feature which you can reset, I have it at zoom=8, where zoom=6 would show you most of Japan and zoom=4 most of eastern Asia. Or you can just drag your cursor around the map and move it manually, to do that quickly zoom out to a very wide shot until your target is centred. I had to fiddle with this because it is linked from the KMSP home page on NWS and naturally set to show their part of the world in the fixed link.)

If it's anything like southeast U.S. coastal grazing situations, the precise track could be off by 20-40 miles so would not take any forecast track as carved in stone. This is basically like Tokyo is Wilmington NC and Hagibis is Dorian (as it existed there) but with mountains instead of flat swampy coastland. (Dorian passed just off to the south of Wilmington and made a partial landfall in eastern NC).

TAF forTokyo Haneda airport, on the west coast of Tokyo Bay. 70 gusting 90 knots between 12-15Z.

TAF RJTT 111707Z 1118/1300 05020KT 6000 -SHRA FEW005 BKN008
    TEMPO 1118/1203 2000 +SHRA BR FEW003 BKN005
    BECMG 1120/1122 08020KT 4000 SHRA BR
    BECMG 1209/1212 17050G70KT 2000 +SHRA BR FEW030 SCT060
    TEMPO 1212/1215 20070G90KT
    BECMG 1215/1218 29018KT 9999 NSW

Narita airport (RJAA), inland northeast of Tokyo, has 60 gust 90 kt.

Here's another page with all the Japanese airports.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/kuko/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest scans show the main convective band now over the Japanese mainland. Radar is showing some moderate spots of rain and stations are showing hourly totals of around 10-15 mm. This is probably the heaviest the rain will get.

20191011.1813.f15.x.composite.20WHAGIBIS.105kts-943mb-308N-1371E.065pc.jpg

Radar

201910120445-00.png

Latest windfield.

2019WP20_MPSATWND_201910111800_SWND.GIF

Live streams from Shibuya, Tokyo. Wind already getting up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Thought this was interesting

Wow, doesn't that just show how interconnected the climate system is!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is this currently looking quite bad for the regions to be affected? I haven't been keeping a close eye on this.

From BBC:

"It could be the strongest storm the country has faced since Kanogawa Typhoon in 1958, which left more than 1,200 people dead or missing."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sounds a bit drastic to me, but most deaths in Asian landfalls are from flooding, in particular sudden flash flooding from mountain fed rivers and streams. Given that this one is moving through an urban area with over ten million people, I suppose nothing could be ruled out, but it's not the strongest typhoon to make a landfall since then by any stretch, it's barely going to be a cat-1 in terms we are more familiar with. I don't think it will be a lot stronger than Ophelia making landfall near Cork. But as to the effects of 12-24 hours of heavy rainfall, more of an unknown and much depends on whether some particular river goes on a rampage (and whether defenses are prepared). Since it's going to keep raining heavily until at least 15z which is late Saturday evening there, some heavy damage is possible in those regions between Tokyo and the outer coasts. But recent similar hits on Taiwan have produced casualty totals more like 10 to 100 than 1200. Wind damage unlikely to be catastrophic especially in a country with building codes anticipating this strength of wind on an annual basis.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is this currently looking quite bad for the regions to be affected? I haven't been keeping a close eye on this.

From BBC:

"It could be the strongest storm the country has faced since Kanogawa Typhoon in 1958, which left more than 1,200 people dead or missing."

Not quite true. NHK are saying that the JMA have said it could be on a par with the strongest "in the Kanto/Izu region". So the country has faced stronger, just that in this region the 1958 one was the strongest. More sloppy reporting.

Latest winds

2019WP20_MPSATWND_201910120600_SWHR.GIF

Kozushima airport is gusting 87 knots in the past hour, mean speed 57 knots.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas_h/today-44216.html?groupCode=30&areaCode=000#link

Current intensity is 85 knots and should be 75-80 kts at landfall in a couple of hours.
    WDPN31 PGTW 120900
    MSGID/GENADMIN/JOINT TYPHOON WRNCEN PEARL HARBOR HI// SUBJ/

PROGNOSTIC REASONING FOR TYPHOON 20W (HAGIBIS)
    WARNING NR 029//
    RMKS/
    1. FOR METEOROLOGISTS.
    2. 6 HOUR SUMMARY AND ANALYSIS.
    TYPHOON (TY) 20W (HAGIBIS), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 121 NM SOUTHWEST OF YOKOSUKA, JAPAN, HAS TRACKED NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD AT 18 KNOTS (KTS) OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. ANIMATED MULTISPECTRAL SATELLITE IMAGERY (AMSI) DEPICTS AN ASYMMETRIC CLOUD PATTERN WITH DEEPER CONVECTION TO THE NORTH AND SHALLOWER RAIN BANDS TO THE SOUTH OF THE OBSCURED LOW LEVEL CIRCULATION CENTER. THERE IS GOOD CONFIDENCE IN THE INITIAL POSITION BASED ON THE AMSI AND RADAR FIXES FROM RJTD. THE INITIAL INTENSITY OF 85 KTS IS CONSISTENT WITH PGTW/RJTD DVORAK INTENSITY ESTIMATES OF T4.5/5.0 (77-90 KTS). HIGH (25-30 KT) VERTICAL WIND SHEAR (VWS) IS OFFSETTING EXCELLENT POLEWARD OUTFLOW TO MAKE THE ENVIRONMENT UNFAVORABLE. SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURES (SST) AROUND 25-26 CELSIUS ARE MARGINALLY SUPPORTIVE. TY 20W IS TRACKING ALONG THE PERIPHERY OF A SUBTROPICAL RIDGE (STR) TO THE SOUTHEAST, JUST POLEWARD OF THE STR AXIS.

3. FORECAST REASONING. A. THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGE TO THE FORECAST PHILOSOPHY FROM THE PREVIOUS PROGNOSTIC REASONING MESSAGE. B. FOR THE DURATION OF THE FORECAST, TY 20W WILL SHIFT ONTO A NORTHEASTWARD TRACK AS IT BECOMES EMBEDDED IN THE MID-LATITUDE WESTERLIES AND UNDERGOES EXTRATROPICAL TRANSITION (ETT). LANDFALL OVER HONSHU SHOULD OCCUR PRIOR TO TAU 6. SHORTLY AFTER LANDFALL, ETT SHOULD BEGIN AND COMPLETION IS EXPECTED BY TAU 36. THE INTENSITY SHOULD BE 75-80 KTS AT LANDFALL. HIGH VWS, LAND INTERACTION, AND COOL SST SHOULD CONTRIBUTE TO STEADY WEAKENING FOR THE DURATION OF THE FORECAST. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF NAVGEM, NUMERICAL MODEL GUIDANCE IS IN STRONG AGREEMENT, LENDING TO HIGH CONFIDENCE IN THE JTWC FORECAST TRACK.

// NNNN

Latest radar. Hakone (855 m amsl, in southwest Kanagawa prefecture) had broken its all-time record earlier, receiving 643 mm in 24 hours.

The F1 circuit in Suzuka, on the west side of that bay due south of the "日' in the title), is getting away relatively lightly, with a few 10s of mm of rainfall and winds of 20-25 knots.

201910121745-00.png

Live NHK news coverage is on Sky channel 507. Some very swollen rivers now. One dead so far.

They'e now saying there's just been an earthquake offshore to the southeast but there is no danger of a tsunami. That's all they need...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Ye earthquake in Chiba they've had it rough this past month

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Live NHK news coverage is on Sky channel 507. Some very swollen rivers now. One dead so far.
    They are reporting there's been an earthquake off the coast of Japan and it was "intensity 4 and 3" along a good area. They are asking people to move away from the coast. Just watching their coverage and looking at instagram stories of people in Japan for the f1 Grand Prix it not nice in Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Wind just starting to hit "red" on the mainland: Live winds - http://www.jma.go.jp/en/amedas/206.html?elementCode=1

Advertisement