Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Senior Club hurling draws and fixture layout - https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1669087136904085504?s=20

Intermediate Club hurling draws and fixture layout - https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1669109822959001601?s=20

Senior Club football draws and fixture layout - https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1669090031179382784?s=20

Intermediate Club football draws and fixture layout - https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1669106661468807173?s=20

Technological University of the Shannon: Midlands Midwest (TUS) have signed a 3 year deal to sponsor the Clare senior & intermediate hurling and football championships.

Martin Murphy Building & Civil Contractors are sponsors of the Junior championships

Berwick Solicitors will be the title sponsors of the U21 championships

All Junior Draws on the Clare GAA twitter also

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

When are the club championships kicking off

I can't understand for life of me why the club leauges are started in **** weather in march and finished in May and then there is no club activity in June and July, in the best weather when rural clubs will have younglads home from college and it is more appealing for supporters to watch games and games can be played late even on a weekday. Wouldn't the county board show a bit of initiative and start the club season in June and make it more appealing for players and supporters alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

3 rounds of league plus knockout stages over all weekends in June/early July and championships will start late July/early August depending on the hurlers progress.

In club football all rounds of the leauge were complete by the first weekend in June leaving a 2 month gap to championship for teams who didn't make leauge semi finals. What is the point of this. Start the leauge 6 weeks later in better weather conditions, get rid of semi finals, let top 2 play final 2 weeks before championship and keep the thing compact and played I decent conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the split season allows players some part of the summer off , that is coming from the GPA , but in truth all league football competitions should be home and away , in stead of a 7 game season it should be 14

• Advertisement

its a pretty unknown for us too

go -7 and hit it hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Colm Collins has stepped down as Clare football manager, bringing an end to his 10-season reign in charge.

Some job he did to keep Clare up as long as he did and led Clare to a couple of Quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Outstanding job he's done. Took on Clare team that finished midtable in Div 4. Brought them up to Div 2 and kept them there for 7 years. Twice reached All Ireland Quarter finals in his time with Clare.

some job in fairness , took clare from the depths of division 4 to two all ireland 1/4 finals and 7 years inside the top 16 in the country at league level

had to battle at the start wit davy fitz who wanted to give him nothing to work with , he had a small budget and small playing pool to work with and for the most part of his tenure he done it for free, something mr fitzgearld cant be ever accused of

he brought in top coaches from around the country , paudi kissane , eiphie fitzgearld , mark doarn and the excellent mick bohan , he has raised the profile of football in the county and brought the level of underage development work and s/c levels on par with most teams in the country

from the promotion up in antrim to finally get out of division 4 and the two epics against kerry and kildare in the park in 2014

the division 3 league win in croke pk in 2016 and the qualifiers run which led us to the last 8 in the country

narrowly missing out on two super 8 appearances in 2018 and 2019 after narrow defeats to armagh and meath

back in croke park last year and a fine win over roscommon to qualify for the 1/4 finals

and the win over cork in the park this year would be my take out points from his tenure , best of luck colm and thanks for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Advertisement

Derry 1-19 Clare 1-13

an inspired performance by shane mcuguigan the difference in pearse park in longford tonight , the slaughtneil man kicking 7 points in total , some excellent scores form goalkeeper Odhran lynch , garreth mckinless and Niall loughlin made the challange even harder before benny herrons goal sealed the tie

the goal coming on the 45th minute of the game ended the tie as a contest , over the next 5 minutes of the game derry tagged on 1-4 on the the score board and with only two between them prior to this spell in the game it put the game out of clare's reach , with no eoin cleary , cian o'dea cillian brennan starting and with keelan sexton going off in jured it was more then an up hill challange

some good scores form jamie malone and darragh bohannon kept the respectability abput the scoreline , brian mcnamara had a fine game in his first start and full senior game he set up 3 scores from play and kept the derry midfield busy , emmit mcmahon put clare into the lead halfway through the first half with a well taken goal , the game was however won and lost in the championship 1/4 and derry progress to the all ireland 1/4 final

highlights from colms last game in charge

was out by one , it was 6 in the end i believe , there is a dispute about a late derry score

Colm Collins. Some man. Had a vision and gave it everything. Delivered big for Clare football. A lot of good football delivered. Hope he doesn't hang it up altogether and brings that knowledge elsewhere... somewhere not too far away...

your right it was 1-20 the scoreboard above in longford had it 1-19 , sean hurson has the blindest umpires i have ever seen , they waved two perfactly good scores wide today , and both looked central enough

Second time you've replied to that 😊 Beer o'clock says you. I know it is for me.

Collins the best man to ever manage the county footballers. What I liked about him was his gra for the game in the county. He knew every footballer in the county of all ages. He but in place a top notch set up, the players were provided with everything they needed which led to a no excuse mentality, he demanded the highest standards of discipline and commitment from his players and they respected him all the more for it. He said right at the outset that Clare had the players to compete in Div 2 and he got them there and kept them there. My favourite moments were beating Kildare in the Div. 3 final in Croke Park with Gary Brennan giving his speech totally in Irish on the steps of the Hogan. Beating Tipperary in the last game of the leauge to relegate them and keep us up a few years ago, there was great scenes of joy out on the pitch after that in Thurles. The win in Salthill against Roscommon in 2016 to send us into the All Ireland quarter finals with another outpouring of joy for players and supporters on the pitch afterwards. The retirements of Gary Brennan, Gordon Kelly and David Tubridy have hit hard and there has been a noticeable decline in the last two years, the Roscommon smash and grab last year papering over the cracks. It looks like Michael Neylon is the anointed one to replace him and he has an awful task on his hands. If the likes of Ciaran Russell who I consider to be our best player or Jamie Malone decide to call it a day we are in serious bother. I can see us going back to the basement division in two or three years. That is not Colm Collins problem now. Thanks Colm for your sterling service and the joy you brought back into Clare football in the last decade.

haha , and it seams i am wrong again it was 1-19 , beer o clock for sure , could be worse , you could have been just given the best gambling advice by an insider who tells you to go in hard as possible on your bet and to be beating by one point , i hope that mcdanger lad is okay .....🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Left it in the end, I thought Derry would cover it but the big spreads are hard to call; Clare did way better than I expected. Collins is a top notch manager

great post , but i dont know why you are always talking down clare football , today showed the future between brian mc and setting up 1-5 from play i counted emmit mcmahons performance which was top class .ronan lanigan and manus have only another ten years to go to hit their early 30s stephan ryan as you rightly have pointed out on here has become a top quality goalkeeper , we have a good core of young lads coming through , there is serious work being done in ennis and north clare in particular at the moment , i was impressed with neylon in how we played against kerry , the level of experience on the opposite sideline were bamboozeled as to what to do that night in tralee

tonight on national telivision the kerry u20 coach spoke about the changes of attitude to clare football thanks to colm , long may it continue

• Advertisement

thank god for that ,i was actually thinking about this this evening above , we got a soft mark 13 yards out from goal and scored just after a disputed derry score was ruled out 5 minutes in to added time

i hate handicap betting , i remember a mate of mine putting a 100 euro bet on clare @ evens in a league game a few years back against offaly -13 i think it was , i warned him in advance that players take the foot off the gas when wining well , he didnt listen , we were up by 18 halfway through the second half and emptied the bench , offaly goat alate goal to lose respectively by 10 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So we still don't know the venue for the Clare v Dublin hurling quarterfinal, in 5 days times ?

It's a but mad. Given there were only two possibilities, Clare v Dublin (likely) or Clare v Carlow (less likely)

Croke Park should be free on Saturday, I would hope for that one....double header with Tipp v Galway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If they are going to give home advantage to anyone it'll probably be Tipp in Thurles, Galway didn't fill Croke Park for the Leinster Final and there was a lot of bad press about the small crowd so I double it'll be on there. I'm hearing Limerick for the double header which would be great but I wouldn't be surprised if they brought us down to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

I can't see how they could justify Thurles for Galway v Tipp, surely that game should be in Limerick or maybe Croke park.

For Clare v Dublin it should be Portlaois/Tullamore/Thurles...possibly even Limerick/Croke park as a double header with Galway v Tipp...although not sure if Clare should have to play Dublin in Dublin but maybe Clare would be happy to get more experience of playing in Croke park...but ceeding home advantage to Dublin is risky.

I would cede home advantage.

If you cannot beat Dublin, even in Croke Park, you're going to have no chance against Kilkenny anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why?

Ceding home advantage for the Munster final was done so as not to drag all the fans to Cork. Theres no real benefit to playing the game in Dublin.

Familiarity with Croke Park would help us, also in case we have any hang-ups from last year.

You could see how quickly Kilkenny settled as it's basically their 2nd home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Double header in Limerick

Clare V Dublin at 4pm

Galway V Tipp at 6:15pm

Tickets on Sale Tues at 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭supernova5

Am actually surprised Dublin agreed to play us at the Gaelic Grounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Big time basically like ye playing Dublin in Navan or Newbridge.

Advertisement