Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Mostly cloudy now in Glasnevin with a bit of sunshine. It's 20.7C now. There was more sunshine a short while ago. The high was 22.4C in the last hour. There's been no rain yet.

It's mostly clear and sunny now. It's quite breezy. The current temperature's 21.6C.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely day in south Dublin. Clear blue sky overhead. 21.9c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    Mother of god it’s depressing
    "Along with the sunshine,
    there's got to be a little rain sometimes"!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Has there even been 10 days with uninterrupted sun in Dublin this summer?

There hasn’t been three days never mind 10 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lashing in Galway. Don't want to go to bus stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sryanbruen wrote: »

Having spent periods of time in some large cities such as London and elsewhere - I was always interested in the way that they can affect air quality and local weather.

http://thescienceexplorer.com/nature/shape-and-layout-cities-affect-weather

Obviously location such as on the coast is also a significant influencing factor. One thing that I've noticed is that whilst Dublin may not be noticeably warmer than surrounding areas - periods of rainfall can be very heavy and potentially disruptive imo. Just my own experience though. Do these observations hold up to weather record data I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

What does it matter if there is uninterrupted sun. We live in north west Europe! If I was offered this summer every year I would take it, partly cloudy, mostly dry and temps every day in the low to mid 20s. Of course uninterrupted sun would be super but dry and warm I would take every single time

Wouldn't be surprised if there was reports of flooding after this. Road gutters can barely cope.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

Torrential showers today in north clare...you wouldnt put a dog out in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

What does it matter if there is uninterrupted sun. We live in north west Europe! If I was offered this summer every year I would take it, partly cloudy, mostly dry and temps every day in the low to mid 20s. Of course uninterrupted sun would be super but dry and warm I would take every single time

Agreed 100%. Last summer, great as it was, had me exhausted by the time the heat finally let up.

I have enjoyed July this summer, with it's partly cloudy but warmish days. I find as I get a bit older, temps from 21-25c are perfect for my comfort, and I enjoy some cloud-cover on the warmest days.

Overall, I really enjoyed summer 2019 and hope it lasts like this for a while longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if there was reports of flooding after this. Road gutters can barely cope.

Met E right with the warning so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

km79 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ
    Is there any hope that just goes away

No because I come back from holidays Friday morning ;) .

That’s not the point I was making.... I was simply having a tongue in cheek with a poster’s question. Most days have been cloudy rather than partly cloudy up until mid-July in my part of Dublin (and have you seen much complaints from me since then?). No use for warmth if it’s not sunny. If it’s gonna be cloudy, I’d rather it lash but of course that’s a very unpopular opinion.

February is still my favourite month this year and that is solely because of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

No use for warm if not sunny, not sure I agree there. It has been sunny a lot of the time in north Dublin this summer but tends to be cloud ok and off too. Still give me warm and dry any day over wet muck
    That’s not the point I was making.... I was simply having a tongue in cheek with a poster’s question. Most days have been cloudy rather than partly cloudy up until mid-July in my part of Dublin (and have you seen much complaints from me since then?). No use for warmth if it’s not sunny. If it’s gonna be cloudy, I’d rather it lash but of course that’s a very unpopular opinion.

February is still my favourite month this year and that is solely because of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I didnt mean consecutive days

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sweet mother that rain is awful

Sick of it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The downpour is still going...much worse than yesterday...Galway

I didnt mean consecutive days

And neither did I....

2nd day in a row that rainfall totals have breached 20mm here locally.

VRkZ1bn.png

Not the driest opening week to August.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It was a nice day in Glasnevin. Some sun and cloud but some very sunny periods, like now. There was no rain here today, luckily hearing reports from other parts of the country. It's currently 19.9C.

• Advertisement

No use for warm if not sunny, not sure I agree there. It has been sunny a lot of the time in north Dublin this summer but tends to be cloud ok and off too. Still give me warm and dry any day over wet muck

Sunshine gives me motivation to go out. At least with rain, I don’t feel guilty that I’m not, also love listening to it falling if it’s intensely heavy.

I’m in Dublin 5 right now and this is a grand evening. Some sunny spells and mostly cloudy. I’m fine with this but I hadn’t even seen many of these days before mid-July. The period since mid-July in Dublin I’d give a 7 or 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And neither did I....

Well thats what id call an absolutely dire summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Carol25

The rain in Galway is really heavy this afternoon. and is still ongoing. Saw plenty of roads starting to flood as we left the city two hours ago, Oranmore / Maldron Hotel roundabout towards Claregalway looks bad, as were numerous other spots on the dual carriageway.

Sunshine gives me motivation to go out. At least with rain, I don’t feel guilty that I’m not.

You don't have to feel guilty for not going out when it is sunny if you don't feel inclined to do so.

New Moon

Carol25 wrote: »
    The rain in Galway is really heavy this afternoon. and is still ongoing. Saw plenty of roads starting to flood as we left the city two hours ago, Oranmore / Maldron Hotel roundabout towards Claregalway looks bad, as were numerous other spots on the dual carriageway.

19.5mm in Galway (Newcastle) in just the last 3 hours alone.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    19.5mm in Galway (Newcastle) in just the last 3 hours alone.

Looks like some very heavy rain to come in the next few hours and could have a few thunderstorms moving in from the coast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lovely in Dublin today Very warm. Just back from a successful BBQ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Looks like some very heavy rain to come in the next few hours and could have a few thunderstorms moving in from the coast too.

Is that for Galway/Connacht area or the whole country?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Is that for Galway/Connacht area or the whole country?

Moving in over Atlantic counties initially and across the country, less rain further E.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Another day in Arklow
    Another summers day above 20c
    Some brief showers
    Breezy

Advertisement