Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethiopian Airlines Crash/ B737MAX grounding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I believe a pp said yes, but a modified version I think.

Slightly modified to fit as many people in as possible

https://thepointsguy.com/news/ryanairs-first-737-max-200-rolls-out-hellacious-seat-map/

I just realised I'm due to fly this type (not with Ryanair) on Wednesday - not sure how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Am sure that Captains and FOs will want to know more about this now.

Boeing may be in a bit of bother here. As will any Boeing purchaser/ lessee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Slightly modified to fit as many people in as possible

https://thepointsguy.com/news/ryanairs-first-737-max-200-rolls-out-hellacious-seat-map/

I just realised I'm due to fly this type (not with Ryanair) on Wednesday - not sure how I feel.

New planes sound truly dreadful, but if these are just for short hop flights, dublin/london and no further well it could be bearable, especially for people over 6 foot.

RIP to the crew and passengers.

Phil.x wrote: »
    New planes sound truly dreadful, but if these are just for short hop flights, dublin/london and no further well it could be bearable, especially for people over 6 foot.

RIP to the crew and passengers.

I’ve done 2 hour flights with 29” pitch and it would put me completely off flying if this became the norm. I’m just under 6ft.

RIP to all passengers and crew.

Maybe it is a good thing that most passengers are not nerds regarding the planes they fly in.

Do people research this before booking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Many condolences. I can only imagine how it must feel to get such news.

As for flying the 737Max, I think I personally would avoid it for a little while when booking. I know that’s not based on empirical data but I’d rather wait and see what the outcome of this one is. New type, coincidences do happen, but...

How would you know which airlines use these?
    Booking flights to America tomorrow and wouldn't be the best flyer anyway, I googled and doesn't look like aerlingus fly these planes is that correct?

Harpy wrote: »
    How would you know which airlines use these?
    Booking flights to America tomorrow and wouldn't be the best flyer anyway, I googled and doesn't look like aerlingus fly these planes is that correct?

Aer Lingus use the Airbus A330 for transatlantic flights. They have very few Boeing aircraft and certainly not the new type.

I believe Norwegian use them though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Aer Lingus use the Airbus A330 for transatlantic flights. They have very few Boeing aircraft and certainly not the new type.

I believe Norwegian use them though?

Yup Norwegian use the 737-8max for dublin to Stewart (New York).
    Flew it this time last year and despite having a 20 year fear of flying yet an absolute love of aviation I'd still fly on it tomorrow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

B737 and A320 are currently the most common aircraft in service worldwide. They are very successful reliable, efficient designs.
    B737MAX and A320neo are the new updated versions of these aircraft.
    There are 350 B737MAX in service and over 650 A320neo.

Ryanair have a lot of these B737s on order. Norwegian already have them.
    Easyjet have A320neo's in service. Aer Lingus have A321neo's on order.
    Most large airlines have one or the other in service with one of the updated versions on order.

There have been 2 crashes with the B737MAX in the last 6 months. The 1st is still under investigation but in response Boeing have issed guidance on addressing "erroneous cockpit readings"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Its very early to tell but I wonder if it is a case of too much automation in the cockpit contributing to this? Fly by wire is all well in good until things go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Im flying later this week will be checking out if its a Max and avoiding and rebooking if is. Sounds like a Comet type situation to me. These new planes are way too computerised ,aviation is simple with designs tested over many years there is no need to save 5 euro per ticket in a race to the bottom. Aviation costs what it costs.
    If the air speed indicator goes berserk its a simple matter of selecting alt and if that doesnt work setting a known power setting with a known trim and attitude(ive a ppl). Whereas in these aircraft its a death spiral with a load of bongs. That and fitting 2 engines instead of 3 or 4 is crazy in case of bird strikes, dual failures etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Do Ryanair have this model on order/delivery?

Ryanair is preparing to deploy its very first MAX jet on routes to Tenerife and Thessaloniki from London-Stansted on 14 March.... ie this coming week. 50 more being delivered by end of year.

10% of their fleet will be the 737 Max 8 HC by end of next year. The HC mod is just a tag signifying capacity for extra passengers.

https://airlinerwatch.com/ryanair-to-station-its-first-boeing-737-max-8-hc-in-london-stansted/

Ah when your number is up, it's up.

I doubt any Captain takes off with the idea that his/her flight will end in disaster.

(the suicide Germanwings flight excepted)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Norwegian are flying the 737-MAX to America and at least Wow air are operating via Iceland, Ryanair's 737-800 to the Canary islands would spend more time over water than Wow do going via Iceland. The 737 is a horrible idea for Transatlantic anyway as it is just to small and pokey, the 757 is barely tolerable never mind the 737.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What's the likelihood of a grounding here? I remember Boeing grounding the Dreamliner a few years back when they investigated an issue that hadn't caused any causalties, surely 2 crashes with a lot of similarities and 330 deaths warrants it.

And secondly, if it were to happen, who are the most impacted operating out of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

theguzman wrote: »
    Fly by wire is all well in good until things go wrong.

737 Max isn't FBW.
    lomb wrote: »
    If the air speed indicator goes berserk its a simple matter of selecting alt and if that doesnt work setting a known power setting with a known trim and attitude(ive a ppl). Whereas in these aircraft its a death spiral with a load of bongs. That and fitting 2 engines instead of 3 or 4 is crazy in case of bird strikes, dual failures etc.

In our QRH we have a table of power settings and pitch attitudes that will maintain safe level flight, climb or descent, if you have unreliable airspeed indications. It's exactly the same principle you would use in your single engine. It's pure nonsense suggesting that such a situation would lead to "a death spiral with a load of bongs".
    Also, 2 engines is plenty. If you have a bird strike that takes out 2 engines (Sully style) then in all likelihood it would have taken out 4 if you had them. Any other "dual failure" is so statistically unlikely as to be considered practically impossible.
    I'm surprised you're comfortable flying a single if you really feel that paranoid about modern jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

This is terribly sad news for all involved, my condolences to those affected. 

While we still don't know the details, this is at the very least very concerning for Boeing and the 737 MAX programme. Another crash of a new build airframe of the same type would be a worry for any manufacturer and operator, only natural some people start to feel uneasy about the aircraft as well. 

I hope the investigation discovers the reason quickly, offering some kind of closure to everyone involved and hopefully making aviation that little bit safer in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

A message recieved from a pilot friend who was at the holding point when the doomed aircraft took off, he says that the takeoff seemed normal but shortly after the aircraft declared an emergency stating unreliable airspeed and difficulty controlling the aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Ah when your number is up, it's up.

I doubt any Captain takes off with the idea that his/her flight will end in disaster.

(the suicide Germanwings flight excepted)

True enough.

I only have an interest in aviation and fly a lot. Like a lot of people. But I do think there may be some issue with this model. (a personal opinion and not trying to start any conspiracy theories.) Two crashes on take off in a few months could be coincidence and could also be an issue. One investigation ongoing and another about to begin. All we have so far is same model and similar flight time for accident. Gonna watch this one very closely as we have lots of this aircraft type coming on stream very close to home. Hoping Boeing are giving this the closet of attention for peoples sake and not for the sake of any Corporate crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

737 Max isn't FBW.

I think theres a few FBW features on the max,roll spoilers being one

MCAS issue again?? Could be serious for Boeing if it is

• Advertisement

Check out https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/619272-ethiopian-airliner-down-africa.html

Those who know about that forum will know about it. Those who don't, please check it out.

Not saying that posts here are not good or anything, but that forum is International.

RIP to all involved.

I may be wrong but the Lion Air crash sounds similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

Turkish Airlines TK1977 Istanbul to Dublin is a B737 Max 8 AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Bussywussy wrote: »
    I think theres a few FBW features on the max,roll spoilers being one

MCAS issue again?? Could be serious for Boeing if it is

Yes. It certainly does.

After the Lion Air flight went down, the FAA and the European regulators didn't see it as compulsory that additional training was required for MCAS. ANAC didnt agree.

There's an article on the NYTimes on MCAS and behaviour with erroneous sensor data. It makes for startling reading who was making the choices about what pilots need to know and not know about MCAS behaviour on the Max (for money saving purposes no doubt). More startling is the claims that the system behaviour wasn't tested with erroneous data!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/world/asia/lion-air-plane-crash-pilots.html

Any pilots have an opinion on this (the training aspect) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Unconfirmed reports that Chinese authorities have asked local airlines to ground the MAX jets
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-03-10/china-asks-local-airlines-to-ground-boeing-737-max-caijing-says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Cayman Airways has announced it will suspend 737MAX operations
    https://www.caymanairways.com/mobile/CALsuspendsMax8Operations

Maybe it is a good thing that most passengers are not nerds regarding the planes they fly in.

Do people research this before booking?

The data is now more easily available so it's become a lot easier to be informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Looks like the Chinese have grounded the 737 MAX, also fairly substantiated reports by a 777 pilot waiting at the runway behind the 737 that crashed over on PPRuNe that the Mayday indicated that they'd lost their Airspeed indications and were having difficulty controlling the aircraft, similar to Lionair 610.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

As stated earlier China's CAA has grounded all 737 Max jets.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-grou ... cle_inline
    It is behind a paywall

Advertisement