Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hurley makers....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

What do people think of Bourke hurleys in Borrisoleigh?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭looseygoosey

is there any hurley maker in kildare/north carlow/west wicklow area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

does anyone have a mobile number for Willie Bulfin in Bruff? If so can you send me a pm, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 camogiegal01

ontheditch wrote: »
    Indoor Hurleys folks..

I'm looking to get a good batch for the club, have exhausted Google. We currently have Curran hurleys, but i personally dont like them and think they are a waste of time. O Neills do a really good indoor Hurley with grip on it and ash coloured rubber bas, but they dont do them below 28".
    Has anyone got good indoor hurleys and if so, from where??

Sound..

Would like to know what you found about them that you didn't like....
    We ordered a couple of dozen mixed sizes from Curran Hurling about three years ago and they had them shipped over to us within the week, We are still playing during the winter months at our local club in Paris and have really helped us upt our game and skills, really they are putting the fun back into hurling.. well done Curran Hurling for coming up with such an inventive product, the surrounding clubs are now copping on to how we have improved and they will also be playing withthe Curran Undoor Hurley so we are looking to set up an Indoor tournament.....we can now play camogie allyear
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 camogiegal01

Just ordered dozen Indoor Hurls from Peter and so have decided to give him a plugg, only after replying to ontheditch looking for indoor hurls But Curran Hurleys have been handmaking Ash hurleys in Mullingar since the early 1980's and Peter Curran also invented the Indoor Hurl and Indoor Sliotar and also holds the patent on the Indoor Hurl, which I didn't know until I rang him to order and got the full history nearly of the GAA, lovely man, well done and thank you Peter for ensuring we don't have to brave the cold weather outdoors and even muckier pitches
    Peter Curran (00353) 044 9372218, inventor of the Indoor Hurl and ball back in early 1990's
    www.curranhurling.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Star in kilkenny, o briens in tipperary and tom murphy in kilkenny are the best hurley makers around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

hupskip wrote: »
    What do people think of Bourke hurleys in Borrisoleigh?

Got one off our club there about a month ago, no complaints, fine hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Would like to know what you found about them that you didn't like....

I just found that the smaller the hurley, the more susceptible it was to break. The Bas has broke on nearly all of the last batch we got. They do get stronger as the size of the hurley increases, so thats why you never would of had a problem. The 26" hurleys were poor, 28" were better and the 30"/32" were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mac Uilis

Does anyone know what David Moran from Rathdrum in Wicklow is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rufty

In the Clare area look up Noel Whelan hurleys. Greta weight and balance to them and they simply do not break. Great job, especially for a wing-back like myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

rufty wrote: »
    In the Clare area look up Noel Whelan hurleys. Greta weight and balance to them and they simply do not break. Great job, especially for a wing-back like myself.

Noel Whelan,I remember he play he played with the Kerry Hurlers during his time in The Kingdom,is he long in the hurley making business?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rufty

Noel Whelan,I remember he play he played with the Kerry Hurlers during his time in The Kingdom,is he long in the hurley making business?

This fella is from Ennis. About 26 years old yeah? He's doing them a wee few years now. Very good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Treacy Hurleys from Killeagh Co. Cork is very good. He does the cork and kilkenny shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 limerick1887

Can someone please name all the makers in Limerick and their contact info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Dalys in limerick. 061393941. Make good hurleys most of the senior limerick team use him. His web site is teamcarflagireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DamonBoyle

Canning Hurls down in Galway are brilliant! Have 1 myself and 3 of my mates have them too. Great hurls!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Easily fooled lads, a lot of names above are imported hurleys from Eastern Europe.

Smith614 wrote: »
    Easily fooled lads, a lot of names above are imported hurleys from Eastern Europe.

We all knew that

What hurleys are best for striking

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

handcrafthurleys.com....was on the dragons den last year

• Advertisement

backgreen wrote: »
    handcrafthurleys.com....was on the dragons den last year
    Might as well buy in Elverys.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Smith614 wrote: »
    Might as well buy in Elverys.

Not at all. You're paying through the nose alright, but you're getting decent enough hurls from decent makers, just buying through a middle man. He has a van that goes to clubs sometimes, he was down in St.Vincents in Dublin and I had a look at a few of the sticks.

The ones in Elverys are just planks of ****e that Torpey threw through a machine and stamped.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Not at all. You're paying through the nose alright, but you're getting decent enough hurls from decent makers, just buying through a middle man. He has a van that goes to clubs sometimes, he was down in St.Vincents in Dublin and I had a look at a few of the sticks.

The ones in Elverys are just planks of ****e that Torpey threw through a machine and stamped.

Makers are delighted to off load their 2nds to him. Go direct to the manufacturer and save a fortune. My club bargained with 2 suppliers in march and got superb deal for the yr.

Can someone tell me where I can get a hurley that is light,class for long pucks,strong,small handle,big bas,thin and good for striking(nobody say Cúltecs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Can someone tell me where I can get a hurley that is light,class for long pucks,strong,small handle,big bas,thin and good for striking(nobody say Cúltecs)

See post 76.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Can anyone vouch for the quality of Lordan Hurls, Belgooly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭obi604

Submara wrote: »
    For anybody interested, here is a list of hurl makers in Galway. At the moment, there are quite a lot of hurl makers in Galway. I've listed below all the makers that I know of and heard about (some details might be incorrect, see question marks). I haven't included contact details but these can be found by searching the phone book or using any of the numerous online search engines
    • Dunne Hurls, Eyrecourt
    • Tom Joe Larkin, Killimor
    • Philip Larkin, Loughrea
    • McKeigue, Kiltormer ?
    • Tony Ward, New Inn
    • Kevin Molloy, Kilnadeema
    • Paddy O'Dea, Ardrahan
    • Seamus Canning, Mullagh
    • Higgins, Sylane/Corofin?
    • Tony Keady, Oranmore
    • Johnny Kelly, Portumna
    • John Clancy, Beagh/Tubber
    • Heffernan, Rahoon ?
    In my opinion of all the makers in Co.Galway, Paddy O'Dea's hurls are the best. They have the classical Galway pattern with a very rounded bos. Quite a few of the county players use O'Dea hurls such as Farragher, O. Canning, Burke, Barry, Lynch, Moore, Collins, Harte and Callinan.

There are good reports doing the rounds about Molloy & Dunne hurls. The Molloy hurls are very similar to Paddy O'Dea's.
    Philip Larkin hurls are well finished but they are very like the O'Connor hurl from Cork. TJ Larkin's hurls have good ash but the finish isn't the best. Finally, Seamus Canning's hurls have a good reputation and are used by his brother Joe.

Overall, everybody has their own opinion on who makes the worst/best hurl. You just have to try them all and find one which you like.

I know this is a really old thread. But does anyone know if Rabbitte in Galway is still making hurls. Think he used to make them for Jason Flynn. I believe he is up around Clarinbridge.

obi604 wrote: »
    I know this is a really old thread. But does anyone know if Rabbitte in Galway is still making hurls. Think he used to make them for Jason Flynn. I believe he is up around Clarinbridge.

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Falconers in Kilkenny .

Nice ash.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »

Any thoughts on this?

Advertisement