Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Water Connection - Foul

• 16-01-2021 8:42pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have sewage treatment plant. Before we bought the house the LA (not IW at the time) but in a foul sewer that runs in the road.

We want to connect into this. Next door have with the manhole located c. 3m from my front wall.

From the record drawings I have seen the sewer is about 4.5m deep so should be any issue connecting.

From when you submit the pre connection enquiry roughly how long does it take for IW to give you a connection?

Comments

godtabh wrote: »
    We have sewage treatment plant. Before we bought the house the LA (not IW at the time) but in a foul sewer that runs in the road.

We want to connect into this. Next door have with the manhole located c. 3m from my front wall.

From the record drawings I have seen the sewer is about 4.5m deep so should be any issue connecting.

From when you submit the pre connection enquiry roughly how long does it take for IW to give you a connection?

Assumibg the scheme has capacity, 2 processes- pre connection inquiry and application phase. Up to 16 weeks each, but thats for new (planning) applications.

Was there an intention by the LA as part of the scheme design/plans to "pick you up"?
    They might have got capital funding to pick up domestic properties in places. No doubt IW will try extract more from you, where it might have already been paid by the exchequer. AFAIK , Pre IW. The Dept paid the domestic portion of schemes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The sewer runs to a pumping station 75m to the west of the house. Manhole is placed on the boundary of two houses. The neighbour has a spur. Levels work.

There is a possibility that there is a capped spur but it’s not evident and I’m not going to be lifting the manhole.

Hopefully it’s straight forward but 16 weeks is a bit OTT

The sewer runs to a pumping station 75m to the west of the house. Manhole is placed on the boundary of two houses. The neighbour has a spur. Levels work.

There is a possibility that there is a capped spur but it’s not evident and I’m not going to be lifting the manhole.

Hopefully it’s straight forward but 16 weeks is a bit OTT

Be interested to hear how they charge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Be interested to hear how they charge

That's another worry!

I'm hoping to avoid a road opening license.

Is there any fast track route given that there is a possibility we'll be moving into a house with now foul connection/treatment plant?

• Advertisement

Spoke to the original builder. He should me a picture of the spur going into my house. It’s capped some where.

Hopefully that makes things a lot easier.

Spoke to the original builder. He should me a picture of the spur going into my house. It’s capped some where.

Hopefully that makes things a lot easier.

If they left a connection spur for you, I'd tap in. You might already be connected as far as LA/IW are concerned, and already paid for by the scheme funding.
    Any correspondence from the LA available?

If they left a connection spur for you, I'd tap in. You might already be connected as far as LA/IW are concerned, and already paid for by the scheme funding.
    Any correspondence from the LA available?

do you need IW permission to do this?

Also, need to find the spur which is in the verge and within my land folio. I assume competent contractor will be able to find the cap no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭rayjdav

You can go straight for a connection application. Be warned they say that most pumping stations are at capacity so be prepared for contribution.

You can't just connect, if you ever go to sell the house and an agreement not in place your snooker.

For a 100mm pipe it is €3,929 flat fee, e/o for any third party works by nominated IW subbie... https://www.water.ie/connections/information/connection-charges/

You can email them and get a record of the services, foul & mains water, located near you.

The 16 weeks is usually for larger scale applications but they are restricted too at the moment so there are abnormal waiting times for confirmation of connection but then on top of that, on the ground connection is longer wait for the subbie too.

do you need IW permission to do this?

Also, need to find the spur which is in the verge and within my land folio. I assume competent contractor will be able to find the cap no issues.

*Cough

This is a quare one

If the pipe was laid pre IW (2014), the council might have had some agreement/provision to tap everyone in along it, might have been part of the rational of building it.
    The cost of connecting you might have already been paid to the council by the Dept.

3k to tap into a sewer that the council was already paid to provide is criminal.

But what he said ^^ as well.

• Advertisement

Looking at records the pipe was laid in 2009 according to an article I found on line. House was built in 2000

Got an update from IW today. The connection offer will be €3900 but I havent gotten details of what that includes.

I fully suspect that there is a pipe on my lands (which I have indicated to IW), that was laid pre IW. They tell me the cost if for there contractor to make the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭rayjdav

That is the basic connection fee by IW. You are expected to have all all pipework completed and the inspection chamber installed as per IW details. Any additional 3rd party works by their subbies and you will really know about it €€€€€.
    Make sure your builder is aware of what they need otherwise they will just walk away.
    Have you actually made a connection application yet? You need to do this 1st... Then they formally issue you a connection agreement with all the details and conditions attached.

I have made the application. I have been told the offer will be issued next week.

I have my contractor lined up.

Advertisement