Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Nice day in the west despite the gloomy forecast. After 3 days of persistent rain it was very welcome. Not really sunny but high enough cloud cover and one of the kids wore shorts to the playground. Misty rain now.

People in southern europe are spoiled with such a good climate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain now in Dunshaughlin. Looks like a very wet night ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So with my leaving cert also starting on Wednesday, I'm not complaining about the crap weather incoming :p

Currently nice enough with sunny spells and high cloud in West cork, was wet during the night though. Warm in the sun aswell

Unless we get a hurricane I can say that in future years you will not remember the weather on exam days! I did my University Hons degree finals on my 21st and I remember them letting me keep my cards on the desk but the weather?

Nice day in the west despite the gloomy forecast. After 3 days of persistent rain it was very welcome. Not really sunny but high enough cloud cover and one of the kids wore shorts to the playground. Misty rain now.

People in southern europe are spoiled with such a good climate.

They get different extremes.. more deluges and storms...

Bad case of ggs; grass is greener syndrome!.

Grand mild day pottering around , overcast but mild getting up to 18C, rain held off until late afternoon. Enjoyed the spectacle of the BikeFest in Killarney today, relieving memories of my short lived motorbike ownership years ago and suppressing the mid life crisis desire to get a Harley!

Back to reality visited Torc waterfall, looking good today lush with vegetation.

ah Torc! killarney is the one place I have lived in ireland that I get homesick for. Hated and fought leaving. Ah well; I am here now, all at sea and with very different vegetation like killer thistles,,

• Advertisement

It’s the brightest few weeks of the year coming now love to see some good weather so we can get out and enjoy the long evenings. Nothing against August but from the 15th on I always think there’s a noticeable shortening of the days. Breezy often overcast here today was humid enough earlier but definitely not warm/hot/roasting etc. looking with envy at the scenes from Madrid beautiful blue skies and sun.

June is always the loveliest month. All still fresh and not jaded... Promise... August depresses. Also June is a month for seeing your garden burgeon. The rain has done miracles here where flowers are hard won. I even have pea blossom.

But I do not mind what the weather does. Does not depress me at all, come what may. At my advanced age deeply thankful to be alive.. fascinates with the constant changes.
    and |I envy no one. happy here
    Wild out here now. Winds buffeting and snarling but snug inside, working on knitting slipper socks as y;day was so cold .. warmer today.

west mayo offshore peace

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Looking back at last Summers thread, while it may have already been reasonably dry in the East late May onwards and the 'real' Summer may already have started in the West at this point in 2018, I was able to date when the Summer 2018 Heatwave, high temps and drought really got started. I dont have databases to check back over like Sryanbruen but what I did have was the ability to Google the dates of Taylor Swifts Croke Park concert which was the 19th of June. :D

Aussie Cousins were over here for a month and arrived to drizzle and 'cold for them' temps which saw them attend the concert in wooly hats and scarves and Winter Coats much to our amusement. A day or two later they headed out West to Galway to be greeted by 30deg temps and blue skies where they finally admitted that 25deg nevermind 30deg with our humidity was as stifling as their 40deg Perth temps with low humidity. No more sneering at our Facebook posts about melting on a 26deg Irish Summers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

Monday into Tuesday could be very wet indeed for Munster and Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It hasn't been a terribly bad start to summer here. Yesterday was a nice day apart from some light rain. The sun was out later and it felt quite warm. The high was 19.2C. Today it's been mostly sunny, although a bit breezy. The high so far was 18.6C.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Sunny but very windy conditions in Waterford City, Max gust of 48km/h

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭acequion

Ah lads, tis dire,there's no dressing it up. Rain is lashing against the windows here and the the Reeks, so vivid on clear days, are totally shrouded in layers of mist and completely invisible. Gales buffeting my pretty patio flowers, a sorry sodden sight. Just as well they're Geraniums, so tough out and will recover.

But am so happy to be heading to the sun tomorrow because this kind of weather truly depresses me. Wish I could take it as philosophically as Graces7. Maybe when I'm older, but not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Big divergence for next weeks weather GFS sez continued low pressure mess, EC says HP will move east over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Great drying that's for sure!! Not much else good about it though as dont know what to be wearing outdoors. Have to expect everything lol. Will there be any alfresco breakfast mornings I ask?! Spoiled last year.
    Meath
    Saw a video of the ufásach weather in Leenaun, Galway. Yikes

acequion wrote: »
    Ah lads, tis dire,there's no dressing it up. Rain is lashing against the windows here and the the Reeks, so vivid on clear days, are totally shrouded in layers of mist and completely invisible. Gales buffeting my pretty patio flowers, a sorry sodden sight. Just as well they're Geraniums, so tough out and will recover.

But am so happy to be heading to the sun tomorrow because this kind of weather truly depresses me. Wish I could take it as philosophically as Graces7. Maybe when I'm older, but not yet.

Thanks... I think! But I am so blessed to be as old as I am when so many I knew and loved are long gone and would love even a wet gale. So I just hunker down and wait it out... no alternative and give thanks to be alive,
    No idea what the scene is out there but I can imagine :eek:

as unhappy as you re m garden though as south and southwesterly are the worst directions ..south comes roaring down the enclosed drive and smacks the garden right in the face as do the deluges..... all my precious patch is getting a battering and my peas just in flower ..... but it will pass and nothing we can do so knitting and pottering.. almost hail here now.. It is rather invigorating though,,,,

Have a wonderful sunny holiday.. Now that I would not enjoy!

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It hasn't been a terribly bad start to summer here. Yesterday was a nice day apart from some light rain. The sun was out later and it felt quite warm. The high was 19.2C. Today it's been mostly sunny, although a bit breezy. The high so far was 18.6C.

Yesterday was utterly blissful but today out here is an abomination frankly

west mayo offshore in marine land

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wind is howling on the west cork coast, cold aswell! Was very wet yesterday evening and night but dry today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today's temperatures across Europe are probably a good indication of what it's going to be like over the next few weeks. I'd expect Scandinavia to warm up considerably over the next few weeks too.

temp_eur2.png

Latest ensembles for Dublin showing hints at possibly an improving situation from about the 12th of June with warmer and dryer conditions.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2019-06-02&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

Before I moved to I reland I was also thinking about eg France and Portugal....ah well! wouldn;t have met you -all there..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

Graces7 wrote: »
    Before I moved to I reland I was also thinking about eg France and Portugal....ah well! wouldn;t have met you -all there..

What riddled your mind when ya chose Ireland?

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    What riddled your mind when ya chose Ireland?

roflol... someone made me an offer of accommodation that I could not refuse! Really great....

Just out

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Galway and Mayo
    Southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 55 to 60 km/h, with gusts of 90 to 100 km/h in exposed coastal areas.

Valid: Sunday 02 June 2019 14:00 to Sunday 02 June 2019 19:00

Issued: Sunday 02 June 2019 13:00

Updated: Sunday 02 June 2019 13:00

This has been the marine forecast all day and coming ashore now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Grey skies,rain,gale force winds..... time for the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

H
    O
    R
    R
    I
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lads the wind. Great drying is about all can say as so far we have escaped any precip in Meath. Think there is some rain now.
    Quietest June bank holiday in forever and not missing out with that weather.
    There is a walk for Glendalough on the cards tomorrow. May wrap up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Wild and wet out in Castlebar, the winds are picking up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

In Ennis at the hurling absolutely frozen horrendous wind and rain intermittently. Looking forward to a break away from this rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Different experience here again in North county dublin. Started a bit wet but humid. Then pretty much sunny and warm but with with a breeze all day. Clouded over now but still warm.

No rain

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Wish I could feel the warmth, ridiculously windy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »

It's very windy. That's the main non-summer-like thing about the weather today. There were a few drops of rain blowing about this evening but no real rain. It's gone mostly cloudy though. The high today was a pleasant 19.2C, the same as yesterday, although it would have been more pleasant without the wind. It's currently 15.6C.

Advertisement